Does The Snfc Need New Transportation ?

Delboy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that the SNFC need to change the transporters that have been used for the last few years? Initially, I thought they did need to change them but Im not too sure now <_<

what has changed your mind? i have never been convinced of the need for "state of the art" transport as long as the ventilation and watering systems are ok. the doos dont care what they are in as long as they are comfortable. i am not in favour of metal or plastic crates and prefer wicker baskets

what has changed your mind? i have never been convinced of the need for "state of the art" transport as long as the ventilation and watering systems are ok. the doos dont care what they are in as long as they are comfortable. i am not in favour of metal or plastic crates and prefer wicker baskets

I agree with the comfort of the wicker baskets but if we could only get other aspects of the transportation right, ventilation, feeding and watering systems have to be the best available.

I agree with the comfort of the wicker baskets but if we could only get other aspects of the transportation right, ventilation, feeding and watering systems have to be the best available.

I personally believe the alluminium crates provide better conditions for the birds with the drinking access being the full length of the crates and the birds have the same access to the clean food. Surely this is better than food being thrown into the wicker baskets and pigeons soiling the food which in turn, they are eating. It has also been proven that the alluminium crates are 1" higher than the wicker baskets. Anyone doubting this should measure them for themselves instead of putting out the wrong information. I personally, have taken a transporter with alluminium crates and a proper water and feeding system twice, and in both cases including a hold-over the fanciers were delighted with the returns and condition of their pigeons.

I personally believe the alluminium crates provide better conditions for the birds with the drinking access being the full length of the crates and the birds have the same access to the clean food. Surely this is better than food being thrown into the wicker baskets and pigeons soiling the food which in turn, they are eating. It has also been proven that the alluminium crates are 1" higher than the wicker baskets. Anyone doubting this should measure them for themselves instead of putting out the wrong information. I personally, have taken a transporter with alluminium crates and a proper water and feeding system twice, and in both cases including a hold-over the fanciers were delighted with the returns and condition of their pigeons.

I totally agree with this statement, it is so unprofessional to throw feeding into baskets on top of the pigeons droppings and expect your pigeons to maintain the optimum condition that you sent them in.You dont throw their feed onto a soiled floor in your loft do you ?? Therefore, the feeding/watering system of the Geraldy transporters is far better than that of the traditional transporters. I dont know if the aluminium crates are better than the wicker baskets though, as you cannot put shavings in a Geraldy crate and the pigeons are standing on cardboard ??

Guest uphallhen

I totally agree with this statement, it is so unprofessional to throw feeding into baskets on top of the pigeons droppings and expect your pigeons to maintain the optimum condition that you sent them in.You dont throw their feed onto a soiled floor in your loft do you ?? Therefore, the feeding/watering system of the Geraldy transporters is far better than that of the traditional transporters. I dont know if the aluminium crates are better than the wicker baskets though, as you cannot put shavings in a Geraldy crate and the pigeons are standing on cardboard ??

Delboy why not have a 1" metal grid in the aluminium crate or a wooding 1,then they will not be standing in there s**t.?

i think on a 3-7day hold over with cardboard it is going to bring its own problems

with pigeon sh=it where as, the shavings is drying up the first and second days droppings, before it is getting out of hand, as the birds move about olso considering

birds tend to nestle in the shaving better and the heat from the plastic windows or the heat in France in the summer time can be very hot. JMO AND TO ADD WHY NOT BUY YOUR OWN. ANYHOW YOU HAVE THE CASH 60,000 gets you the one you need lol

i think on a 3-7day hold over with cardboard it is going to bring its own problems

with pigeon sh=it where as, the shavings is drying up the first and second days droppings, before it is getting out of hand, as the birds move about olso considering

birds tend to nestle in the shaving better and the heat from the plastic windows or the heat in France in the summer time can be very hot. JMO AND TO ADD WHY NOT BUY YOUR OWN. ANYHOW YOU HAVE THE CASH 60,000 gets you the one you need lol

FA ARE YE GETTING THE DOO;S TA PIT INTA IT DANNY FOR THE FRENCH RACES BE A BIG DRAP NEXT YEAR AGAIN JMO :blink::blink:

don't think the snfc need transporters for 5/6 races the condition birds came home in says to me there is not much wrong with what we have in place

just to add they big shavings used at udddingston where the best shavings i have seen for wicker baskets

as for fouling the baskets and food getting soiled why not use a small feeder in each basket

Delboy why not have a 1" metal grid in the aluminium crate or a wooding 1,then they will not be standing in there s**t.?

True, but then you are losing height and in turn have less baskets on transporters. If we could have the Geraldy feeding/watering system with wicker baskets or wooden crates( with shavings ) then we would have the best of both worlds.

True, but then you are losing height and in turn have less baskets on transporters. If we could have the Geraldy feeding/watering system with wicker baskets or wooden crates( with shavings ) then we would have the best of both worlds.

i agree derek not seen much improvement from geraldy from what we have now apart from feeding system

birds seem happy to lie down on the shavings and relax

Heard that the Fife boys were concerned with the perspex on the roof of the transporter generating too much heat.They reckon that alot of the losses in the inland nats were part due to this.

Well Derek if there is any organisation in GB that has the means tae sort any prob then it must be the SNFC!

i agree derek not seen much improvement from geraldy from what we have now apart from feeding system

birds seem happy to lie down on the shavings and relax

It's been a while since I've looked over a Geraldy [Almond Valley) but I'm sure the one I saw had a temperature control - lacking in conventional transporters - cold air blowing from the centre gangway on to the underside? of each individual crate.

think some guys in fife had an issue with a perspex roof maybe someone can fill us in on the detail

The roofs not perspex and the baskets dont go right to the roof as stated,i went in and measured it its 14 inches between the top of the baskets and the roof.

It's been a while since I've looked over a Geraldy [Almond Valley) but I'm sure the one I saw had a temperature control - lacking in conventional transporters - cold air blowing from the centre gangway on to the underside? of each individual crate.

Yes Ian, the Almond Valley transporter has a thermostat situated at high level and this switches on the discharge fan that in turn draws the hot air through tubes with holes drilled in them which are fitted above each line of crates. The air is drawn out and discharged at high level outside the transporter. The crates are also lined with corrugated cardboard which have a good covering of large wood shavings. As I stated previously, I have taken pigeons to France twice for Lanarkshire and Jim, the convoyer if asked, will tell you, that the shavings and the cardboard were in excellent condition, as were the pigeons after four days in the crates. The question of the heat through the plastic fronts is easily answered as the ventilated electric roller shutters are only lifted at the appropriate time before liberation. You must remember the Almond Valley transporter has a series of strip lights all the way up through the centre corridor allowing you to check the condition of the birds at any given time.

Yes Ian, the Almond Valley transporter has a thermostat situated at high level and this switches on the discharge fan that in turn draws the hot air through tubes with holes drilled in them which are fitted above each line of crates. The air is drawn out and discharged at high level outside the transporter. The crates are also lined with corrugated cardboard which have a good covering of large wood shavings. As I stated previously, I have taken pigeons to France twice for Lanarkshire and Jim, the convoyer if asked, will tell you, that the shavings and the cardboard were in excellent condition, as were the pigeons after four days in the crates. The question of the heat through the plastic fronts is easily answered as the ventilated electric roller shutters are only lifted at the appropriate time before liberation. You must remember the Almond Valley transporter has a series of strip lights all the way up through the centre corridor allowing you to check the condition of the birds at any given time.

on you go doug you tell them

Sounds like everybody should have the same transporter as AV. How many does it hold?