injections ?

pearse1888

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to vaccinate for Paratyphoid you need to do it about a month before you pair up. The reason is because the vaccination is pretty rough on the birds. This is especially so if you use the live vaccine. It is not like the Paramixo vaccine which is fairly easy on the birds and only need a few days to get over it.

I have vaccinated my birds for Paratyphoid today. I intend to pair up in a month from now on the full moon. I will vaccinate for Paramixo about a week before pairing up. That will also be the time when I will examine the droppings for nasties and check the throat and crop for canker.

I don't expect to have any repiratory problems.

Hi Owen,

I've never vaccinated for para. but was concidering doing my young birds.As you say vaccinating knocks hell out of the birds,do you think it is wise to do Y/Bs as they suffer enough stress without causing more.If your reply is yes vaccinate , when would be the best time to do them,ie. when they leave the nest or wait till your full team is through and do them all together.Shoul they be treated with anything before vacc.

Lindsay

There is not much doubt that there is a lot of both paramixovirus and paratyphoid about. As has already been said, we are obliged to vaccinate for paramixovirus by law. It is obvious that there are people sending birds racing without having vaccinated. That is the only explanation that I can think of, as to why this disease is still flaring up. That is in spite of a long standing vaccination programme. I have seen 4 cases this year and heard of a lot more.

Paratyphoid is there like an undercurrent in a lot of lofts. I don't blame anyone for that because it can lay dormant in carriers only to show itself when you least expect it. There are times when even the Vets can not find it easilly, because it can take several lab tests to locate it.

To be honest I am not entirely sure as to whether vaccination actually works. There are so many strains of this disease that to be sure of dealing with it we should use vaccine made up from the strain that is specific to our own lofts. That is obviously not practical.

Some of the Continentals get over the problem by treating their birds with Baytril for 12 days. They think it is fine to know that their birds are free of the disease at the start of racing. The one thing I am certain about is that the disease is alive and well and should be managed.

This year I have vaccinated with a dead vaccine after treatment with antibiotics for 10 days. Amoxicylin.

As far as youngbirds are concerned, I would vaccinate when they are 10/12 weeks old. At the moment I want to try to keep this terrible disease out of my loft. This is probably impossible because at the end of the day I will be affected by the conduct of others. As we all are.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that a major reason for the dreadful young bird losses are these diseases. After all, how could we expect young pigeons to perform in the races when they are ill, even if it is subclinical.  

Hi greenlands. I doubt that the vaccinated birds would get the disease. In theory it is possible, but in practice it would be very unlikely indeed. The vaccinated birds would have built up their antibodies and should not become infected. It is a bit like the flue in humans. Those who are vaccinated are unlikely to get the flue but sometimes some people will have a mild dose of it. This is possible because some diseases mutate as they travel from individual to individual. The vaccinations can not cover all of the variations.

It is a fact that some pigeons do not receive any sort of vaccination for paramixovirus. This is in direct defiance of the law. My opinion is that, because there are so many birds lost these days, some people try to stay in the competitions by breeding more and more birds. It then becomes very expensive to carry out the various management jobs that should be done. Vaccination is one of them. And in many cases where the race birds are vaccinated, the breeders will not be. The result is that there is always a pool of infection waiting there to strike the unwary. A friend bought some birds in a breeder buyer sale this year and introduced paramixovirus to his loft. When I told him what he had there he was amazed. The birds had come from a well known loft in the area.

Paratyphoid is basically a disease of filth. Rats, mice and wild birds are known to carry it. More importantly, it can, under certain circumstances be caught my humans. Where birds are kept in overcrowded conditions and exposed to birds that carry the disease, you are almost bound to get it. I believe that a lot of the pigeons that are lost are carrying the disease without the owners knowing. It is as a result of the stress of racing and the crowded conditions in the race paniers that the disease flares up.

So in conclusion, I would always advise anyone to take steps to control these diseases.