Pigeon Wellbeing Advice Needed

frank frank

I've just googled the symptoms of paramoxo and he says that's exactly what they have buddy.

So I think it's treatment for paramoxo that they will need, if you could possibly advise me?

Are they drinking a lot of water and is the coop wet

He said yes to both mate.

Thanks ever so much for all your quick help and advice everyone, it's been really appreciated.

I've told him to ask his vet for a 10-day course to treat Paramoxo.

You chaps are stars! Thank you.

? PMV syptoms in Franks post ?

Please enlighten me.

All of the above are classic symptoms of Paramyxo as well as being sick , hunched up, balance problems, wet floor, drinking a lot

If it is PMV,it's a notifiable disease and should be reported to the correct authorities,they will do the correct test and provide you with the correct solution,this will also protect other pigeon fanciers in the area.

There's no mention of twisted necks etc.that's what I would be looking for.

A

If it is PMV,it's a notifiable disease and should be reported to the correct authorities,they will do the correct test and provide you with the correct solution,this will also protect other pigeon fanciers in the area.

There's no mention of twisted necks etc.that's what I would be looking for.

You don't always get twisted necks, often it's more subtle than that, reckon balance problems is near enough, drinking to much and a wet floor are definite indication of paramyxo

I have already advised that paramyxo is a notifiable disease

I agree with most of what you say Dave,however there is also a balance disorder with para.as stated in the previous link.

Good discussion though,let's hope the lad gets them sorted soon.

Hope so Lindsay but one way or other there's no easy fix, well there is but don't think he will want to go down that route

Frank, I'm not a vet but reckon your dog should be ok ?

A lameness and a wing drag usually first with typhoid.....salmonella another option....whatever one it's a right fookin downer. Been there before and it didn't end well ......longterm ?

Spot on Stevie

I spoke to him on the phone earlier and he said they've been out ok today, but are still hunched up etc. But they happily went out.

He also dried the coop floor right out before putting them back in.

Buster sent me a nice PM earlier recommending a vet in Wednesbury, so I've taken that vet's phone number and he's going to phone them first tomorrow before possibly going to his local vet, so he can explain exactly what the problem is and see what they recommend.

All you guys have been extremely helpful and he's very grateful.

He loves his birds, but is a bit old fashioned when it comes to knowledge.

There is one thing for definite the should not be out

J. M. H. O. :emoticon-0126-nerd: .

If all the pigeons are on the loft floor and can't make it up to a perch. I would think paramyxo. And would only add to the water gem ultra-vits because of the excessive water intake of the birds . And all you can do is let it run it's course.

But if some of the birds can roost to a perch and its omo. I would treat for paratyphoid and give them nifuramycin. Again always hard when you haven't seen the birds .

J. M. H. O. :emoticon-0126-nerd: .

If all the pigeons are on the loft floor and can't make it up to a perch. I would think paramyxo. And would only add to the water gem ultra-vits because of the excessive water intake of the birds . And all you can do is let it run it's course.

But if some of the birds can roost to a perch and its omo. I would treat for paratyphoid and give them nifuramycin. Again always hard when you haven't seen the birds .

Nifuramycin wouldn’t cure paratyphoid

Nifuramycin wouldn’t cure paratyphoid

Just an update for all you lads that have so kindly helped me ...

He phoned the vet in Wednesbury that Buster recommended first thing this morning, and the vet told him it's "something typhoid" (according to the father-in-law) - he probably said the paratyphoid that you guys have mentioned I'm guessing - but the father-in-law is next to hopeless at remembering names!!

The vet was extremely helpful though, and has sent out the medicine / tonic which he'll receive tomorrow.

He also assured him they'll perk up and he'll see a big difference "within a couple of days."

So it sounds good news for now, I did fear for his birds and thought he'd likely have to cull them all if I'm honest.

Anyway, the short of it is, he's really happy now and the birds are hopefully on the way to being sorted, thanks to all your help & advice.

Can't thank you all enough, you're a great bunch on here!

PS. The cost of the medicine with rapid delivery was £44, so he was delighted by that too. Sounds very fair & reasonable.

Just an update for all you lads that have so kindly helped me ...

He phoned the vet in Wednesbury that Buster recommended first thing this morning, and the vet told him it's "something typhoid" (according to the father-in-law) - he probably said the paratyphoid that you guys have mentioned I'm guessing - but the father-in-law is next to hopeless at remembering names!!

The vet was extremely helpful though, and has sent out the medicine / tonic which he'll receive tomorrow.

He also assured him they'll perk up and he'll see a big difference "within a couple of days."

So it sounds good news for now, I did fear for his birds and thought he'd likely have to cull them all if I'm honest.

Anyway, the short of it is, he's really happy now and the birds are hopefully on the way to being sorted, thanks to all your help & advice.

Can't thank you all enough, you're a great bunch on here!

PS. The cost of the medicine with rapid delivery was £44, so he was delighted by that too. Sounds very fair & reasonable.

he must be some vet that he can tell you over the phone what is wrong with them without testing them

Just a further update everyone - the medicine arrived promptly this morning as promised - a bottle of liquid which he has added to their water, and then must discard after the second day, no matter how much is left - and some powder also for the water which he was told he can use again once or twice each month until it runs out, just to keep them (hopefully) ticking over.

He also has to starve them for 24 hours and not let them out today or tomorrow.

He said he felt guilty going out in the garden today because they were stood on the coop window ledges looking at him - probably wondering where their grub was! lol

The vet has told him they should start to perk up after 3 or so days, so fingers crossed.

I'm an animal lover myself, so I hate to think of the poor blighters suffering, bless them.

They're not really my cup of tea as I'm more a dog guy, but they're dear little fellows, and I do enjoy sitting on the bench watching them go about their business when I look after them for him.

Anyway, sorry to witter on, I'll come back in a day or so and let you all know whether or not they've improved.

PS. I agree re the over the phone thing, but talking one-on-one with a bird vet was the best he could hope for really. Only time will tell of course, but in his position I think he was grateful for whatever help was available. He dotes on his birds.

(I assume he was a bird vet - as when asked about how safe the dog was, he replied that other animals weren't his expertise)

PPS. No, the dog doesn't eat their droppings, thankfully, they were more worried about her treading in one and licking her paws I think.

They do sweep all the paths clean after the birds have been out, but of course you can't see what is on the lawns.