Natural

peter pandy

Well the Gold Cup has come and mostly gone !! Will there be a change in thinking of our premier club in Scotland ?, I doubt it.

For those who managed to clock in you can only thank your lucky stars and buy a Lottery ticket, For those who are still waiting see you at the AGM.

BEFORE you do, Perhaps you want to think about about the METAPHYSICS of the problems we have created without realising the consequences.

Lofts ;- Used to be open to the elements Now closed up.

Birds ;- The introduction of Continental strains has disturbed 100 years of Scottish Long Distance ability.

Feed ;- The breaking away of the staple Scottish diet, Beans,Maples,Maize,Wheat in favour of continental feeds.

Race Route ;- Breaking away from the traditional West M6 and the crossing from France at Cherbourg Peninsular.

Transportation ;- The refusal to use purpose built vehicles with drinking facilities on three sides of crate.

To Summarise ;- Round pegs wont fit into square holes..A tree that looks the same after dropping a leaf is not the same tree..The gun you held did not shoot you in the foot, you pulled the trigger yourself..

I agree with the transportation....especially the drinkers....but the rest!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the Gold Cup has come and mostly gone !! Will there be a change in thinking of our premier club in Scotland ?, I doubt it.

For those who managed to clock in you can only thank your lucky stars and buy a Lottery ticket, For those who are still waiting see you at the AGM.

BEFORE you do, Perhaps you want to think about about the METAPHYSICS of the problems we have created without realising the consequences.

Lofts ;- Used to be open to the elements Now closed up.

Birds ;- The introduction of Continental strains has disturbed 100 years of Scottish Long Distance ability.

Feed ;- The breaking away of the staple Scottish diet, Beans,Maples,Maize,Wheat in favour of continental feeds.

Race Route ;- Breaking away from the traditional West M6 and the crossing from France at Cherbourg Peninsular.

Transportation ;- The refusal to use purpose built vehicles with drinking facilities on three sides of crate.

To Summarise ;- Round pegs wont fit into square holes..A tree that looks the same after dropping a leaf is not the same tree..The gun you held did not shoot you in the foot, you pulled the trigger yourself..

Lofts....mine has wire doors that are on all summer

Birds....i timed a Deklak and van Wanroy on monday/tuesday

Feed....i buy a bag of corn from my supplier...just a nice clean widow mix

Route....i race the most natural route for the area I live in.....west coast

Quite simple PP

Lofts....mine has wire doors that are on all summer

Birds....i timed a Deklak and van Wanroy on monday/tuesday

Feed....i buy a bag of corn from my supplier...just a nice clean widow mix

Route....i race the most natural route for the area I live in.....west coast

Quite simple PP

Yir no even flyin 500 mls Stevie :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I will ignore yer ridiculous statement lol

Aye you are right enough Steve Because Gretna is 75 mls to me and I just checked up on what distance fanciers down there are flying so I am only getting 48 mls !!! My appologies for my ignorant remark. I am now wondering where the other 27 mls went.

Guest johnhunter

You should worry more about how far you are from the racepoints rather than how close others are

or how far he is behind every week lol

With all my racing finished for 2017 I am concentrating all my efforts into rearing a team of Late Breds for next year.

Maize, Small Seed nor Barley will be included in the feed from now on as other grains can substitute and a heavier mixture will be the order of the day as I dont have sprinters in the loft so no point in giving them what is not required.

The best beans I ever had recently came from the English / Welsh border and may take a trip down in the future when my bins are empty now I can no longer find a bean locally, although feed a friend supplied me with last year were pretty good, I had a lot of waste due to the size, which were more like Horse Beans and the birds have had no option as it is eat or go hungry. Perhaps that will not construe a love of the loft which is what I am after.. Happy home means a wellcome where an unhappy home could mean why hurry back..John please no reply from now on unless it is constructive and I shall not reply to your meaningless negativity.

I have always been of the belief that our pigeons loved dark places in which to build their nest and am wondering why I should lighten the loft with roof panels when my old very successfull loft had one section which had no natural light and was always dim but it was where the bulk of my winners came from and the light had to be switched on just to find them.

Some of my friends know I have a problem with Opiate drugs and spending all night awake looking down on the loft recently it came to my attention that where I had cut holes in the roof the corrugated metal was dry and the rest of the roof was wet with morning dew suggesting that my ventilation must be bang on so why change it.

Not attempting the Gold Cup this year was in hindsight a blessing as I still have a reasonable amount of 2 year olds for next year and Dave Padfield did tell me to wait till they were 3 before sending to 500 + miles.

Patience is a virtue..and I am so sorry for my friends who have been cleaned out with the National races this year through no fault other than the fact they sent them and expected to get them on the result or off BUT HOME..

I see my friends Dave and Vince Padfield sent 3 and have 3 from Barcelona,, Not bad for a bean feeder.

Youngsters in the loft from friends are now scouring the sky in the morning and looking well so might just shove them into a race in a couple of weeks time without training as I did last year with fewer losses than others around but will decide later as they develope and the eyes have turned.

Davy Jamieson will be looking for the winner at this week's Ancenis race and I wish him well and all who are competing in the longest race on the calendar. I still have fond memories of the "Grand" I lost last year however I have a son from him which hopefully will do the business next year along with two yearling Grandsons which look the part so it is the waiting game once again, But, being a Coffin Dodger or an Oxygene Thief as it was put to me by a so called mate I can only attempt to evade my fate and fulfill an ambition. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Guest johnhunter

I see my friends Dave and Vince Padfield sent 3 and have 3 from Barcelona,, Not bad for a bean feeder.

Youngsters in the loft from friends are now scouring the sky in the morning and looking well so might just shove them into a race in a couple of weeks time without training as I did last year with fewer losses than others around but will decide later as they develope and the eyes have turned.

Davy Jamieson will be looking for the winner at this week's Ancenis race and I wish him well and all who are competing in the longest race on the calendar. I still have fond memories of the "Grand" I lost last year however I have a son from him which hopefully will do the business next year along with two yearling Grandsons which look the part so it is the waiting game once again, But, being a Coffin Dodger or an Oxygene Thief as it was put to me by a so called mate I can only attempt to evade my fate and fulfill an ambition. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

oh you are a one for name dropping peter lol

• 2 weeks later...

Having had a sabattical for a couple of weeks as was intended, and sorry for all my friends who have had disastrous returns from the Nats, with hand on heart I honestly feel for you and am sure you will all bounce back next year.

The Feed experiment is probably why I was having difficulty once the 200 mile was reached and I should have known better as it was designed for C.J. Williams who was basically a sprint - middle distance fancier and will not be divulged or repeated in the future.

This past couple of weeks has seen me converting the stock loft into a Distance race loft of 6 pairs, which will only house those ear marked for 550-600 miles but so far finding 3 year old's and older are as scarce as hens teeth in the loft but 6 will be found and 6 with injuries will be paired to them, with the loft being open 24 hrs for them to come and go as they wish with extra security installed. Next year the main loft will house 2 year old's, Yearlings and any 2018 youngsters reared.

Well thats the plan for next year and I will put this years losses down to not being fed for the job in hand as they were bred for it and fit for it..

Guest johnhunter

Having had a sabattical for a couple of weeks as was intended, and sorry for all my friends who have had disastrous returns from the Nats, with hand on heart I honestly feel for you and am sure you will all bounce back next year.

The Feed experiment is probably why I was having difficulty once the 200 mile was reached and I should have known better as it was designed for C.J. Williams who was basically a sprint - middle distance fancier and will not be divulged or repeated in the future.

This past couple of weeks has seen me converting the stock loft into a Distance race loft of 6 pairs, which will only house those ear marked for 550-600 miles but so far finding 3 year old's and older are as scarce as hens teeth in the loft but 6 will be found and 6 with injuries will be paired to them, with the loft being open 24 hrs for them to come and go as they wish with extra security installed. Next year the main loft will house 2 year old's, Yearlings and any 2018 youngsters reared.

Well thats the plan for next year and I will put this years losses down to not being fed for the job in hand as they were bred for it and fit for it..

best oh luck peter for next year

My younger brother "70 this year" packed the pigeons in about 20+ years ago and although he came round for a year or two he decided to go it alone and re-erected his old loft and added bits and bobs to enlarge it. With all the Stock birds plus others I had he started breeding a team of youngsters to race this year and joined our local club.

With Darkness and Natural youngsters he started a training regime and they were extremely well schooled with them split into 4 units, Losses were accepted as the norm and he was never despondant saying they could not have been good enough if the rest could make it home and went to his first race with the Midland Fed from Stobs Camp with 35. He clocked in 13 birds and took his ETS out as he did not want to burden the club with a large print out and his 13 were all in the first 20 in the Club taking 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10,11,13,etc..He also appears to have the first 7 in the Midland Fed yet to be confirmed. As I said to him " I trained you well "..Oh aye, and he only dropped 2 in the race..

My younger brother "70 this year" packed the pigeons in about 20+ years ago and although he came round for a year or two he decided to go it alone and re-erected his old loft and added bits and bobs to enlarge it. With all the Stock birds plus others I had he started breeding a team of youngsters to race this year and joined our local club.

With Darkness and Natural youngsters he started a training regime and they were extremely well schooled with them split into 4 units, Losses were accepted as the norm and he was never despondant saying they could not have been good enough if the rest could make it home and went to his first race with the Midland Fed from Stobs Camp with 35. He clocked in 13 birds and took his ETS out as he did not want to burden the club with a large print out and his 13 were all in the first 20 in the Club taking 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10,11,13,etc..He also appears to have the first 7 in the Midland Fed yet to be confirmed. As I said to him " I trained you well "..Oh aye, and he only dropped 2 in the race..

well done Mr Mac the "younger" :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Well the Midland Fed result showed that wee brother took the first SIX positions and to say he is over the moon would not be an exaggeration, Walking ten feet tall.

I obviously cannot have this state of affairs continue so it will be head down and more effort applied next year.

In the loft the rearing of Latebreds continues and am happy with the way they are turning out with some real smashers, I dont separate and leave them all to-gether leaving the nest when they want not me, this way their is no going backward with them as drinkers are kept up on the veranda so they have to exercise their wings to have a drink.

Much has been written lately regarding the Future of the Sport and is it worth the effort to continue ??. Well if you have doubts about any aspect of this game then perhaps you would be doing yourself and the family a favour by retiring because if you are not 100% focused then results will be affected regarding your losses which will be atributed to lack of fitness and general attention by puting unfit / unwell birds into baskets which have little or no chance of making it home.

I often wonder if many off the losses are down to the fancier by inferior breeding, Lack of proper care or is it something else that is missing from the loft. We can all have losses and scratch our heads for the reason and if we look in the mirror the answer is probably there..

Am I right in thinking young mac has more top 6 fed prizes in the midland fed in one race,than pandy has since starting this thread? With pigeons off stock ones pandy said were sh ite and training instead of fu cking them in to the first race to take all day to come home?

Naw,, he has a long way to go before catching me up LOL..