British Barcelona Club

We man

A picture of John Ellis' first pigeon he recorded from Palamos with the BBC in 1968-bred by Stuart Young

A picture of Wellbank Endurance Twice Palamos-2nd Scotland,88th Open BBC and 1st Scotland,27th Open BBC,Winner of the BBC Gold Medal, Harkers Rosebowl, BBC trophy for furthest flying bird in race time(1044miles) and the Gordon Hare Cup.Endurance was an inbred grandson of Wellbank Pride-1st East Section,8th Open Rennes 1965

sorry Istand to be corrected I did not believe it was in race time.....my apologies....JBC/..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are still around 5 members of the BBC who live in Scotland. I do not think any of them send to races. In the past there have been several Scottish fanciers who have entered and had birds return, just check the Squills Year Book.

George Gauld (deceased) was the last I knew who flew, albeit BICC, and timed from Tours? in June? to be on their result. He used to single them up from Morecambe, I think Budgie Crawthorne's place.

Last year the BBC opened a marking station in Carslisle in an attempt at being inclusive and fulfilling their name of British. What a buzz and I would love to savour it, but at the moment I've never had a bird officially past 240 miles. Their final race is from Bordeaux and would be well over 800 miles to me in Ayrshire around late July / early August, I think.

George tried to race as many races as he could don't know if he ever got to the Barcelona but he used to time birds reg. from the other races I think he had to go to the Birmingham area to basket I would love to try it but I failed miserably from saintes twice so gave it up until I get they type of birds

your correct thats what we keep them for.....but the distance involved turns it from a race into a task beyond the limits of pigeon racing....remember races close at velocities below 400 y.m.m 1000 miles into this country is not possible in the alloted time,On the day birds are liberated they will fly their hearts out to get home on the day before nightfall,after racing all day they may not and probly not reached the english channel the next day,they still have 500/600 miles to go thats where they start to give,every hour,every mile,more start falling by the wayside,some may eventualy reach home but by that time their not racing pigeons their wrecks......dont get me wrong they are game birds but it would no longer be a race......JBC/.

I would still have a go, it may not be everyones cup of tea but to me its a great challenge. :scotland:

I know Dave sent a young bird to Rennes with a yearling ring as youngsters were barred from competing and won an Open position. The youngster was on its second flight and was named Dunning Sparrow. No darkies then..

I think the young birds were sent to the BBC Rennes young bird race. My recollection is Dave timed two, Dunning Sparrow and Dunning Black Cock. There were several fanciers from the Tayside area sent to Palamos around that time after Dave Smith and Jim Bruce started the 1000 mile club. Bert Stewart did win the race with Bettys Delight and I think she flew it twice (not sure of her position the second time) I may be wrong but Les McKays "Berts Boy" may have been descended from Bettys Delight.

I would still have a go, it may not be everyones cup of tea but to me its a great challenge. :scotland:

Yes as it was way back in the seventies a challange....not for you its not but for the birds...a step too far,wish your birds well but Im afraid you would kiss them good-bye......JBC/..

I think the young birds were sent to the BBC Rennes young bird race. My recollection is Dave timed two, Dunning Sparrow and Dunning Black Cock. There were several fanciers from the Tayside area sent to Palamos around that time after Dave Smith and Jim Bruce started the 1000 mile club. Bert Stewart did win the race with Bettys Delight and I think she flew it twice (not sure of her position the second time) I may be wrong but Les McKays "Berts Boy" may have been descended from Bettys Delight.

A & A Taylor, [Dundee] if my memory is correct were 2nd one year and 3rd on another. Incidently, they bred Betty's Delight and gifted her to Bert Stewart, she was bred from John Ellis bloodlines.

J & L Alexander [ Monifieth ] were also 1st with a Mealy cock ?

your correct thats what we keep them for.....but the distance involved turns it from a race into a task beyond the limits of pigeon racing....remember races close at velocities below 400 y.m.m 1000 miles into this country is not possible in the alloted time,On the day birds are liberated they will fly their hearts out to get home on the day before nightfall,after racing all day they may not and probly not reached the english channel the next day,they still have 500/600 miles to go thats where they start to give,every hour,every mile,more start falling by the wayside,some may eventualy reach home but by that time their not racing pigeons their wrecks......dont get me wrong they are game birds but it would no longer be a race......JBC/.

It has been done before,1,000mls vel.600s 25mls per hour think it was 2days A Raeside Irvine.

A picture of John Ellis' first pigeon he recorded from Palamos with the BBC in 1968-bred by Stuart Young

A picture of Wellbank Endurance Twice Palamos-2nd Scotland,88th Open BBC and 1st Scotland,27th Open BBC,Winner of the BBC Gold Medal, Harkers Rosebowl, BBC trophy for furthest flying bird in race time(1044miles) and the Gordon Hare Cup.Endurance was an inbred grandson of Wellbank Pride-1st East Section,8th Open Rennes 1965

Aye they can ram the "Fantail"racing.lol.

What was the name of the Red Cock ?

SCOTTISH 1000 MILE CLUB PALAMOS 22/6/79 40 MEMBERS SENT 70 BIRDS

D & D SMITH DUNNING 1043 MILES

G BRIGGS DUNDEE 1043 MILES

D & D SMITH

J ALEXANDER MONIFIETH 1041 MILES

A & A TAYLOR DUNDEE 1044 MILES

J BRUCE ARBROATH 1044 MILES

S ROBERTS WINCHBURGH 1015 MILES

G GAULD CRIEFF 1047 MILES

P SAUNDERS CRIEFF ''

R & R MARSHALL 1044 MILES

M WHITE PAISLEY 1019 MILES

G.OGILVIE & SON HAD A HEN THAT FLEW PALAMOS 3 TIMES ,MY HEN FLEW IT TWICE

send pigeons to that distance would play into the hands of those wishing to see pigeon racing banned,it has been tried but was unsucessful as a race,just look at the entry to the longest race with the S.N.F.C. a club that stands for long distance races.....the total number of birds sent is pityful to say the least.....I think thats why Jock Ellis called his red pied cock "ENDURANCE"...JBC/..

IMO Pityful numbers at the longest races is because a lot of fanciers further south are calling races from 600 to 700 miles "Extreme Distance" and are probably feart ti send em !

D & D SMITH

P SAUNDERS CRIEFF ''

WOW to be in that company,top men top birds thanks for that,could you give us some information about your great wee bird.

WOW to be in that company,top men top birds thanks for that,could you give us some information about your great wee bird.

Not really i bought the sire and dam for 30 bob each emoticon-0136-giggle.gif from my old pal Bert Topen who sadly passed away not long after

D & D SMITH

P SAUNDERS CRIEFF ''

That's brilliant George. Great achievement. Have you any photos of your hen? Would be good to see them if you do.

Cheers,

Paul.

another 30 bob one emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Thanks "clockman"just looking at your bird brings a tear tae ma een,and to have done it twice should silence the doubters who say it cant be done,sorry to be a pest but just one other thing I would like to ask,would you send to this racepoint again if circumstances allowed you to.atb.

Thanks "clockman"just looking at your bird brings a tear tae ma een,and to have done it twice should silence the doubters who say it cant be done,sorry to be a pest but just one other thing I would like to ask,would you send to this racepoint again if circumstances allowed you to.atb.

Your not a pest, YES but its more of an endurance test than a race

Not really i bought the sire and dam for 30 bob each emoticon-0136-giggle.gif from my old pal Bert Topen who sadly passed away not long after

Some good posts on this topic,brings back some happy memories (memory aint what it used to be)perhaps with the interest shown with enough members, birds from Scotland could enter through the B.I.C.C. or what ever club goes there,my personal view would be a step to far to call it a race....good luck to any birds members may send....JBC/..

( 30 bob each,think that was about the going rate at that time.....how things have changed)

send pigeons to that distance would play into the hands of those wishing to see pigeon racing banned,it has been tried but was unsucessful as a race,just look at the entry to the longest race with the S.N.F.C. a club that stands for long distance races.....the total number of birds sent is pityful to say the least.....I think thats why Jock Ellis called his red pied cock "ENDURANCE"...JBC/..

ENDURANCE.in 1972 race from Palamos was won by C.R.Medway of Southhampton 661 mls 693 birds his vel 637, John was 2nd sec 88th Open in 1973 race was won by R.Churchill Weymouth 657 mls 702 birds vel 627 .ENDURANCE was 1st sec 27th yes 27th OPEN in race time beating 675 quality birds the fact he raced 1004 mls mind blowing you will see by the winners velocity these were hard races.The fact he has left behind a dynasty of winners makes him like John Ellis a legend.

Weather dictated low velocities both races.