New Starter

Dankay123

hi all,

complete new starter so go easy.

I have just returned from my first meeting with my local club. all friendly lads. I have been advised to start with sprint birds. if I was to get some older pairs, could I breed my own young birds or would I be better to buy young birds in when they are ready?

do they need boxes or just perches if not breeding?

First question ,did any of the guys offer to give you a bird or two to get you going ,and why just sprinters I think a mixture as distance doos take longer to mature and you can bring them along with your sprinters .also buy in a batch of youngsters to subsidise your on breeding.(Cheap ones)dont get caught up in all the useless selling blarney sellers give you cheers.

First question ,did any of the guys offer to give you a bird or two to get you going ,and why just sprinters I think a mixture as distance doos take longer to mature and you can bring them along with your sprinters .also buy in a batch of youngsters to subsidise your on breeding.(Cheap ones)dont get caught up in all the useless selling blarney sellers give you cheers.

I have been given a pair of distance birds that I believe were flown from france. the lad that gave me them has packed up had a pair left. he gave them to me yesterday. when I spoke to the club they said that they mostly sprint race and that the distance races are not often. they offered me 6 young birds for £250.

would the birds need boxes or be ok on perches? I know a breeding pair would need boxes.

no mention of giving, just £250 for 6. £25 joining fee and £10 admin should I look for another club?

Where abouts are you from Dankay, I'm sure a few members on here would breed you a few Ybs to get you started for the season. My advice to you is keep your money in your pocket, these guys are certainly not going to breed you ybs from their best to race against them each week.

Where abouts are you from Dankay, I'm sure a few members on here would breed you a few Ybs to get you started for the season. My advice to you is keep your money in your pocket, these guys are certainly not going to breed you ybs from their best to race against them each week.

I'm in wythenshawe Manchester. I would like to get an old pair and breed my own. I have bred canaries and finches so I'm not a complete beginner to bird keeping,conditioning etc

The fees were to fly my birds and join club. They also said £48 for vaccinations. Is that normal rate.

blimey 6 youngsters for £250 , no wonder they were friendly .did they lower the "face masks" and put away the "highway pistols" when telling you this :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I would look just outside your immediate area for 2 good fliers approach them looking for 6 "good youngsters" for £100 .use the spare £50 to make some nest boxes with a temporary partition down the middle . do as much research as you can ,via the library , internet ,and the 2 good fanciers you have ordered with .your main aim to enjoy racing ,yet with a future goal of beating your new club-mates. wishing you all the very best for the future :animatedpigeons:

dankay123 give us a pm, I'm in liverpool but should be able to breed you a few youngsters for free to get you going but make sure your setup with loft etc first.

Neil

Cheers for that Neil. Looking at a couple of weeks to get loft ready. After receiving some good advice I'm gonna separate the room I have got. Cheers for all the replies. Top forum

Guest strapper

I have been given a pair of distance birds that I believe were flown from france. the lad that gave me them has packed up had a pair left. he gave them to me yesterday. when I spoke to the club they said that they mostly sprint race and that the distance races are not often. they offered me 6 young birds for £250.

would the birds need boxes or be ok on perches? I know a breeding pair would need boxes.

think its disgraceful someone offering you ybs for £250 when you are a new starter....im sure everyone will feel the same.

if your gonna go about paying ask on here 1st about the birds 1st...dont be afraid to ask silly questions,the knowledge you will gain by asking is priceless.

have a few birds at 1st and dont be dismayed if you lose some as it happens to us all.

Who offered you birds at £250 per 6 was that the club!!

Who offered you birds at £250 per 6 was that the club!!

No,it was a member of the club on committiee.

After speaking on here to a few members they have said to pick up what Birds I can, learn the game, and get used to feeding training etc. don't worry about positions in races and to concentrate in getting them home to gain experience. Good advice I think.

A few members on here have offered me some birds to get me going which is really generous. Cheers

No,it was a member of the club on committiee.

After speaking on here to a few members they have said to pick up what Birds I can, learn the game, and get used to feeding training etc. don't worry about positions in races and to concentrate in getting them home to gain experience. Good advice I think.

A few members on here have offered me some birds to get me going which is really generous. Cheers

Thats fine your getting birds from people on here i just started recently after a break and i got birds ,yougsters 6 from 1 chap 12 in total they were all from club members so when you said somebody offerd to sell you some ,i thought this was terrible speak about exploiting a situation .But i wish you luck and a Happy Newyear .

WHO OFFERED U Y/BS AT £250 for 6 he is taking the p-ss your a new starter u got very little chance beating the sprint men a new starter needs to learn the game look around most guys will breed u young ins for nowt and help u all they can as the saying goes keep your ears and eyes open you,ll soon pick things up where are you if your short of young ins send me a pm and I,ll help u out best of luck

blimey 6 youngsters for £250 , no wonder they were friendly .did they lower the "face masks" and put away the "highway pistols" when telling you this :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I would look just outside your immediate area for 2 good fliers approach them looking for 6 "good youngsters" for £100 .use the spare £50 to make some nest boxes with a temporary partition down the middle . do as much research as you can ,via the library , internet ,and the 2 good fanciers you have ordered with .your main aim to enjoy racing ,yet with a future goal of beating your new club-mates. wishing you all the very best for the future :animatedpigeons:

I'm being honest Andy, you'll be hard to find a good fliers to sell 6ybs for £100 JMO, the going rate these days advertised seems 40-50 quid a piece.

I'm being honest Andy, you'll be hard to find a good fliers to sell 6ybs for £100 JMO, the going rate these days advertised seems 40-50 quid a piece.

Well just to be honest i had some fine looking young doos the last time i was in the doos 10-12 year ago from Louela I think they are still offering a good deal 10 for £200 but the guys on here are great as regards helping and you should take up their offer.

Much appreciated the lads gifting me birds to get me going the best advice I have received is to concentrate on getting them flying experience and getting them home. I am not going to worry about places or positions whilst learning. It's all experience. I started on loft today. I got 8 boxes built and put in place, separated the shed in half. Need to sort out some sort of trap. That is my mission tonight. Research traps. Set about making one in the morning.

Much appreciated the lads gifting me birds to get me going the best advice I have received is to concentrate on getting them flying experience and getting them home. I am not going to worry about places or positions whilst learning. It's all experience. I started on loft today. I got 8 boxes built and put in place, separated the shed in half. Need to sort out some sort of trap. That is my mission tonight. Research traps. Set about making one in the morning.

Had a look and the test trap for £110 I can make for about £10