Pmv And Ybs.

Guest geordiejen

Guest geordiejen

does vaccinating for pmv cause young bird sickness to be a problem in the loft.the reason im asking this is i vaccinated for pmv last week and it seems as though the young bird sickness has come back.not all birds have been effected by ybs only 4 out of 50 birds.i have removed these suspect birds but should i treat these 4 birds now or leave the pmv vaccine to work.

Guest chad3646

does vaccinating for pmv cause young bird sickness to be a problem in the loft.the reason im asking this is i vaccinated for pmv last week and it seems as though the young bird sickness has come back.not all birds have been effected by ybs only 4 out of 50 birds.i have removed these suspect birds but should i treat these 4 birds now or leave the pmv vaccine to work.

u must be the unluckiest pigeon fancier about, if there is anything going about u seem to get it

Personally, no. In my findings if PMV vaccine caused young bird sickness, it would do me a favour as then I would get it in April each year, and come young bird racing my birds would be able to race the whole programme. But unfortunately it doesn't, and after the first or second race young bird sickness rears it's ugly head.

Guest geordiejen

well im not sure chad.some dodgy looking wet greeny droppings on the loft floor.bit of reluctance to get up onto the usual perch.could it be a reaction to the jab of could these birds in question not be 100% at time of vacination.

Guest geordiejen

they were on perches but each has its own.they were in lower perches not their usual ones.ive got them out the way on individual pens.i remember a few years ago i jabbed a bird but it had paralysis for a day or so.i think i may have jabbed them in the muscle on the shoulder.

Guest geordiejen

wiley i know that mate.this is why the birds in question are out the loft.the reason for this question is that i dont usually vaccinate for pmv,its not compulsory for fancy pigeons.however racing pigeons are,this is why i now vaccinate all my birds.if you read the columbovac form it clearly states one jab annualy.why are we then jabbing birds 3 weeks in the nest then 3 weeks therafter?if the jab is supposed to do what it says then why twice?all birds should be in good health but the question is if there is underlying problems like ybs,if its in the loft then its always going to be present in one way or another.what i would like to know from you experienced racing pigeon fanciers who vaccinate every year is does the vaccine cause adverse reactions with ybs present in the loft?although the birds look fine beforehand does the vaccine cause the immune systen to diminish and bring ybs back out?seems to be a lot of fanciers connecting both.what are your opinions on this.i would also like to point out in my 10 years of having fancy pigeons i have never had any problem with ybs.in the last 2 years when i took up the racers ive had ybs last february,then in may this year.ybs was introduced to my loft through racing pigeons.NONE of my fellow show pigeon fanciers seem to have this problem or like some people to mention on this site are not honest but like to have a go at other people who admit to this ailment.

wiley i know that mate.this is why the birds in question are out the loft.the reason for this question is that i dont usually vaccinate for pmv,its not compulsory for fancy pigeons.however racing pigeons are,this is why i now vaccinate all my birds.if you read the columbovac form it clearly states one jab annualy.why are we then jabbing birds 3 weeks in the nest then 3 weeks therafter?if the jab is supposed to do what it says then why twice?all birds should be in good health but the question is if there is underlying problems like ybs,if its in the loft then its always going to be present in one way or another.what i would like to know from you experienced racing pigeon fanciers who vaccinate every year is does the vaccine cause adverse reactions with ybs present in the loft?although the birds look fine beforehand does the vaccine cause the immune systen to diminish and bring ybs back out?seems to be a lot of fanciers connecting both.what are your opinions on this.i would also like to point out in my 10 years of having fancy pigeons i have never had any problem with ybs.in the last 2 years when i took up the racers ive had ybs last february,then in may this year.ybs was introduced to my loft through racing pigeons.NONE of my fellow show pigeon fanciers seem to have this problem or like some people to mention on this site are not honest but like to have a go at other people who admit to this ailment.

I had yb sickness for 3-4years and could not stop it reoccurring ,however whilst in hospital recovering after an operation a fancier friend who is also a gold cup winner visited me and gave me some very good books to pass my time,whilst reading about a certain German fancier he referred to I am sure he called it bogatar ? In other words Colostrum, I gave it to my breeders and then the weaned youngsters 2-3 times weekly put them on deep litter and never had a problem for years now ,I am sure we cause the problem sweeping the lofts and causing the virus to go airborne birds can't handle the dust thus the problem ,however I will stick to what works for me and the very successful German Fancier ,Atb Mick

In my opinion, PMV actually gives an immune boost not the other way around.

I think you are right about bringing YBS into a loft that was previously YBS-free. That would mean it was present in the racers you introduced. But your present problem could be down to a number of things, and the thing to go on IMO is that only 4/50 birds were affected. So its not a loft problem, if there was illness present they'd all be affected. So it is either down to these 4 birds, or you (or whoever jagged them).

I've been careless with the needle on my own birds in the past and needed to put 2 of them down in different years, after vaccination. So make sure 2 of you do the job, 1 holding the pigeon, neck stretched and feathers parted on an area in the middle of the neck near the birds back, on the bare patch, and the other doing the jagging, (and then only when the bird is sitting calmly in the first fancier's hands) with the needle pointing towards the birds back, and only the shaped part of the needle going under the skin.

The argument that jagging causes YBS has been around for some time, certainly since I started back around 2000, and the first person to ask me about that theory was the pigeon vet Gordon Chalmers and I told him that was what the BHW letters page and folk on the forum were claiming. He then wrote an article in BHW which said there was no link between the PMV-1 jag and YBS. The latest to say that was Henk De Weerdt on the video of the masterclass he held in Wales during the PMV outbreak there a couple of years ago. He went further and said if the bird fell ill after jagging the illness was already present before vaccination.

wiley i know that mate.this is why the birds in question are out the loft.the reason for this question is that i dont usually vaccinate for pmv,its not compulsory for fancy pigeons.however racing pigeons are,this is why i now vaccinate all my birds. 3 weeks in the nest then 3 weeks therafter?if the jab is supposed to do what it says then why twice?aif you read the columbovac form it clearly states one jab annualy.why are we then jabbing birdsll birds should be in good health but the question is if there is underlying problems like ybs,if its in the loft then its always going to be present in one way or another.what i would like to know from you experienced racing pigeon fanciers who vaccinate every year is does the vaccine cause adverse reactions with ybs present in the loft?although the birds look fine beforehand does the vaccine cause the immune systen to diminish and bring ybs back out?seems to be a lot of fanciers connecting both.what are your opinions on this.i would also like to point out in my 10 years of having fancy pigeons i have never had any problem with ybs.in the last 2 years when i took up the racers ive had ybs last february,then in may this year.ybs was introduced to my loft through racing pigeons.NONE of my fellow show pigeon fanciers seem to have this problem or like some people to mention on this site are not honest but like to have a go at other people who admit to this ailment.

I can never understand why either,surely you should follow the manufacturers instructions.

Guest geordiejen

these 4 birds are eating and drinking fine,maybe less seed than they usually take.i will keep them seperated until i think they are ok to go back into the loft.the colunbovac instructions contradicts itself.it states you can jab y/birds in the nest 3weeks of age.but it states you shouldnt let them come to contact with any other bird.parents are still feeding them,at that age they can be running around the floor of the loft.i dont jab the squeekers anyway.i give them all the jab 2 or 3 weeks before they go to the shows.seems a waste of money this pmv vaccine anyway.

these 4 birds are eating and drinking fine,maybe less seed than they usually take.i will keep them seperated until i think they are ok to go back into the loft.the colunbovac instructions contradicts itself.it states you can jab y/birds in the nest 3weeks of age.but it states you shouldnt let them come to contact with any other bird.parents are still feeding them,at that age they can be running around the floor of the loft.i dont jab the squeekers anyway.i give them all the jab 2 or 3 weeks before they go to the shows.seems a waste of money this pmv vaccine anyway.

Waste of money!!!, and you think you've got problems just now, wait till you get paramyxovirus that will make you change your mind.

has ther been any reports on birds getting pmv this year?

Have a look at the other thread on here titled "Gutted " I hear of horror stories every year with Para, because its not reported does not been its not happening, I have had Para a couple of times since it first raised its head in the early 80's and its soul destroying, as far as I'm concerned vaccination against this virus is one of the must do things in the pigeon game

Guest geordiejen

although paramyxo in the loft is devastating if the birds arent vaccinated.to my knowlege pmv cannot remain in the loft or birds cannot be carriers after the innital sickness has passed.so who or what is responsible for this virus going round and round year after year?

although paramyxo in the loft is devastating if the birds arent vaccinated.to my knowlege pmv cannot remain in the loft or birds cannot be carriers after the innital sickness has passed.so who or what is responsible for this virus going round and round year after year?

Geordie, whilst I am not saying that you are guilty of not vaccinating you already have the answer to your question on one of your earlier posts, fanciers who think its too expensive or cant be bothered and don't vaccinate are in the main responsible for this virus continuing to plague us for 30 years now, if I recall correctly then compulsory vaccination was introduced in 1983 and I can't ever see compulsory vaccination being relaxed.

Yes mate It should have been long gone, I've been vaccinating from day one, it should be history, but you have those that can't be bothered and don't vaccinate which must be aided by slackness at the club to allow birds to be raced and then we have those that don't follow instructions on the bottle thinking it will be OK when it obviously isn't as we should have been long rid of it emoticon-0127-lipssealed.gif

Yes mate It should have been long gone, I've been vaccinating from day one, it should be history, but you have those that can't be bothered and don't vaccinate which must be aided by slackness at the club to allow birds to be raced and then we have those that don't follow instructions on the bottle thinking it will be OK when it obviously isn't as we should have been long rid of it emoticon-0127-lipssealed.gif

few home truths there Bill :emoticon-0137-clapping: