Respiratory Innoculation

shweet

It is not medicines for respiratory you need, it is a good hammer and saw. If you are worried about breathing problems your loft must be a bad place to keep pigeons. The answer to your problems is to ensure that your pigeons have plenty of fresh air and sunshine. I am glad I don't have to put my pigeons in the same crate as yours because if they are not infected by germs they will surely be contaminated by the bugs that have developed immunity from the medicines you are using.

Nah Ive never treated for Respiratory, Its just whenever I read something new about a flier thats doing well they seem to be all treating for respiratory .... APPARENTLY ! I dont know where ive got theres a vaccine from anyway cause after doing my homework apparently there isnt one. I dont have any birds yet but was just wondering if thats what I should be doing. I dont like medicines neither and when I do have birds dont have major problems with illness its just that whenever I hear people are not doing well they say treat for respiratory, blind treat in other words but I thought if that was the case why not innoculate and try and prevent it happening in the first place

Hi

Done a search and it seems you are quite correct

Cheers

Homer 49

Hi Alex ,

In lofts infected with the immunosuppressive circovirus (see circovirus fact

sheet), clinical disease and mortality from pigeon herpesvirus may be much

worse. Forms of the disease in adult pigeons are less frequently seen but

older birds may develop liver disease (hepatitis), lesions in the oral cavity or

intestinal tract and occasionally brain infections. Such pigeons often have a

history of poor performance during racing competitions or shows, suffer from

parasite infections, and have occasional respiratory or enteric problems.

Small, solid, greyish foci may be observed in the mouth and throat area. At

necropsy affected pigeons often have necrosis in the liver (hepatitis) and

microscopic lesions in the brain.

Its does not present as respiritory unless other things going on. :animatedpigeons:

It is not medicines for respiratory you need, it is a good hammer and saw. If you are worried about breathing problems your loft must be a bad place to keep pigeons. The answer to your problems is to ensure that your pigeons have plenty of fresh air and sunshine. I am glad I don't have to put my pigeons in the same crate as yours because if they are not infected by germs they will surely be contaminated by the bugs that have developed immunity from the medicines you are using.

a bit harsh m8

Nah Ive never treated for Respiratory, Its just whenever I read something new about a flier thats doing well they seem to be all treating for respiratory .... APPARENTLY ! I dont know where ive got theres a vaccine from anyway cause after doing my homework apparently there isnt one. I dont have any birds yet but was just wondering if thats what I should be doing. I dont like medicines neither and when I do have birds dont have major problems with illness its just that whenever I hear people are not doing well they say treat for respiratory, blind treat in other words but I thought if that was the case why not innoculate and try and prevent it happening in the first place

Shweet there are many vaccination for respiratory on the continent. Lincoln spectin is the famous one but requires you to inject into the breast with a ultra fine needle not my cup of tea.

Guest maricelbill

i recall OLD HAND (SWE BISHOP) regularly stating there was no real cure for respiratory disease the only treatment he saw with any degree of success was a winter spent out in the aviary.

might be an idea if we had a plain man's explanation of what respiratory disease is. is it an actually a disease for a start. how does it affect the various organs. is respiratory disease just a catch all phrase?

i recall OLD HAND (SWE BISHOP) regularly stating there was no real cure for respiratory disease the only treatment he saw with any degree of success was a winter spent out in the aviary.

might be an idea if we had a plain man's explanation of what respiratory disease is. is it an actually a disease for a start. how does it affect the various organs. is respiratory disease just a catch all phrase?

mycoplasmosis ornithosis and ie clamydia , it doent always have clinical symptoms ie diry wattles snots etc , infact the birds can look great but sucumb quickly training and racing , dosent always easily show up in swab or dropping test and aint easy to rid once its in there , the birds learn to live with it but shows up when working hard they just cant cope, mycoplasmosis is easily cleared with good ventilation and no overcrowding chlamydia has carriers which sh** it out in droppings

and the dust contaminates other birds and humans

Edited by stb-

A wee bit strong fae you Owen, the guy is asking a very good question and deserves a decent reply.By the way, Wiley is 100% correct, plenty of vaccinations for respiratory , I remember Chevita doing one.

not one of your better replies Owen the guy is only starting up and dont have pigeon yet , great post to encourage a new start , i dont think :wacko: :wacko:

Guest maricelbill

mycoplasmosis ornithosis and ie clamydia , it doent always have clinical symptoms ie diry wattles snots etc , infact the birds can look great but sucumb quickly training and racing , dosent always easily show up in swab or dropping test and aint easy to rid once its in there , the birds learn to live with it but shows up when working hard they just cant cope, mycoplasmosis is easily cleared with good ventilation and no overcrowding chlamydia has carriers which sh** it out in droppings

and the dust contaminates other birds and humans

top post.

take it from there. birds not performing you suspect the above respiratory problems. next saving step, course of action before the "final solution"

Spoke to a vet in 2006 when he was attending animals on the estate I was employed regarding respiratory problems with Racing pigeons and a week later on his next visit he intimated the following to clear the problem. 1]Closatadone. 2]Tylonox. 3]Clamoxyl. Personally I have never required the use of any so cannot advise which would be best however the answer is there for those who wish it.

Guest geordiejen

respiritory can be the cause of a number of things and if anyone seeks out what it actually is the cause needs to get it to an avian vet.the fancier can taake some basic steps.deep litter,overcrowding,stress,poor ventilation,or the birds health generally impaired.hepres virus is not specifically a respiritory infection but its a sign the virus is present.birds who take this infection have a high chance of being persistant carriers.but like most things the birds learn to live with it and will pass on immunity to their young.the best way to eliminate it is to cull badly effected birds.depending on the initial health of the birds at the time the virus is introduced there may be no sign or very little to go on as it goes around the birds.

respiritory can be the cause of a number of things and if anyone seeks out what it actually is the cause needs to get it to an avian vet.the fancier can taake some basic steps.deep litter,overcrowding,stress,poor ventilation,or the birds health generally impaired.hepres virus is not specifically a respiritory infection but its a sign the virus is present.birds who take this infection have a high chance of being persistant carriers.but like most things the birds learn to live with it and will pass on immunity to their young.the best way to eliminate it is to cull badly effected birds.depending on the initial health of the birds at the time the virus is introduced there may be no sign or very little to go on as it goes around the birds.

100%

Guest maricelbill

that's an interesting one. last time i was in the birds SWE Bishop was the chief bottle washer. swore by deep litter. used it myself for many years in the 70s and 80s with never a problem. mind you the entire loft front was ventilated which was the thing at the time.

am wondering now how the widowhood fliers on here balance ventilation with keeping the loft temperature even.

Guest geordiejen

dont get me wrong i had deep litter for almost a year with no problems with the pigeons,however the dust levels were up and when birds were coming down to feed i had the sun coming into the loft and i could see lots of dust being lifted.not good for the fancier especially if they are spending lots of time in the loft.if deep litter is kept bone dry then it should be harmless to the birds.the herpes virus can live in deep litter active for up to 6 months.the birds used to rummage through the litter and kept them occupied for a while.

Guest maricelbill

dont get me wrong i had deep litter for almost a year with no problems with the pigeons,however the dust levels were up and when birds were coming down to feed i had the sun coming into the loft and i could see lots of dust being lifted.not good for the fancier especially if they are spending lots of time in the loft.if deep litter is kept bone dry then it should be harmless to the birds.the herpes virus can live in deep litter active for up to 6 months.the birds used to rummage through the litter and kept them occupied for a while.

what do you thinks of scraping and burning. (some day someone will burn the loft down)

very popular.

Sorry lads if I been blunt but to be honest I think that it is better if people are told straight in a way that leaves no room for misunderstandings. I think that winning pigeon races is lot more difficult that new people to the sport realise. Many are going to follow the example shown by people who really should not offer advice because they don't know what to do themselves. The point about passing on super-bugs by the use of antibiotics is a serious problem for us all. If livestock have to have their health propped up by using strong medicines is not going to get the Owners very far. Birds with underlying health problems in the end are no good to anybody. Owners who carry on in this way usually loose loads of birds and inflict problems with losses on the rest of us. So I will continue to say it as I see it.

Guest geordiejen

i agree with the use of antibiotics blind treating a flock is as silly as throwing a ferrit in the loft.if a fancier intends on finding out how to keep his birds healthy ther are lots of books which can be of use.the use of medication should be a last resort if a pigeon goes down.the best thing to do is to remove the bird from the loft,get it penned in a shed or something well away from the others.if you want to blind treat or seek advice from a vet then so be it but in most cases a bird that has signs of severe sickness has already passed all hope of survival.pigeons are very good at hiding sickness and will do so until its passed the point it cannot hide.regular checking of the poops in the loft should be inspected daily and is difficult when deep litter or grilles are used.dont let your feelings get in the way of being a successful facier sometimes you need to harden your heart and put the bird in the best place possible away from the rest of the birds.the bin