Young Birds

geordie1234

I am looking to start training the youngsters next week, they will be liberated as a team, which is currently 39, I will start off with a couple of tosses from 7 miles, and then go further, usually have 2 tosses from the same point before moving on. How ever the weather will have an affect on my planshttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0138-thinking.gif

GOOD LUCK FOLKS WITH YER Y/B TRAININGhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/animatedpigeons.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2171783/UK-weather-Britains-miserable-weather-jet-stream.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Weather improving from next week , today looks a bit dodgy a few more days and hopefully will improve enough to start training :)

Guest TAMMY_1

Had a few short tosses but brightened up a bit at lunchtime so we took them a 20 mile toss and glad they are all back safely,club mate took his the other day and had a terrible toss as they got caught in heavy showers at nightfall he was 60 down but a lot wandered back and he is now 17 short but some more will work back,he took just under 100,how he manages that I don't know,we have 35 and that is ample to look after.

Guest The Newbie

We took our youngbirds on Monday 6miles took 47 got back to the lofts nothing back went back after dinner 22,back then 10,came then ones and twos we had 12missing but some have worked back still 8,missing one has a puncture wound and another has a gap in its flights so something had a go at them.

Be wary percy will be starving. First up should fill them.

Indeed, and the fact we are all trying to train at same time, means more chance of clashing, which is not good when only start traininmg a few miles from loft.

Think we wait a few days,most feds moving back, so should have plenty time.(L O L)

How many tosses do you hope to get in before the first race?

How far do you plan on going?

Do you release altogether or do you single up or in smaller batches?

:emoticon-0157-sun:

only 2 tosses before 1st race

10 miles from same place sutra hill

all birds go up at same time

birds will also be very hungry both times

Only had mine 3 times to 8ooyds in the rain ,on holiday friday for 2 weeks so hopefully this rain has got to go off some time,Peregrine has hit young hens last 2 nights when rain has got lighter did not kill any two with part wing feathers missing,cocks lucky buggers not been hit yet although they have been flying lower (clever chaps us lads ) :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Guest robscott

Have had six tosses on their own and three with three other fanciers,should be more of us going today,been 20 mile so far,they are that excited and are trying to get in the basket at the mo.

great idea here,leave some baskets in yb compartment so they get used to it.

Advise please! I have had mine 6 times to about 10 miles but I cant get them to come quick! So far they have taken 1hr 32, 50 mins, 35 mins, 1hr 14, 1hr 19, 1hr 24. Should I send them further, bring them back shorter or stay at 10 until they get it right?

Advise please! I have had mine 6 times to about 10 miles but I cant get them to come quick! So far they have taken 1hr 32, 50 mins, 35 mins, 1hr 14, 1hr 19, 1hr 24. Should I send them further, bring them back shorter or stay at 10 until they get it right?

Try letting them out for a fly before you basket them for the ten mile toss,see if that makes a difference

or let some old birds up with them from the ten miles

Try letting them out for a fly before you basket them for the ten mile toss,see if that makes a difference

or let some old birds up with them from the ten miles

Ok will try letting them out first, thanks. First season so got no old uns to show them ropes.

Dont feed them as much.

Bang on Harky! Had the same last season, they would get tossed on the clubs motor, return in the local vasinity and go again. The first race last season young bird season they was an hour behind the club winner, in a 74 mile race. Changed my feeding the homed good time training that week and then went on to take first 3 in the club and federation, and was not out of the first ten in the federation after that, as well as topping it again, with multiple 2nd Feds, young bird racing has a lot to do with how you feed and what you feed as well as the health of the birds