Bleach

bombersbullets

Hi just bin reading that some pigeon men use bleach on there pigeons for illness does anybody on here confess to using it on here B)

Yes I use it for washing the drinkers ,but also for the birds to drink,soft bleach you get it at the supermarket for pennies,must be measured properly ,Type into search ,Pigeon Medicines then scroll down to web,then click on (Your medecine cabinet)by pigeon networks,an article will appear by Dr David Marx ,click onto (The Miracle Of Chlorine) and all will be revealed .You can also read his other articles for all you ever need to no ,Merry Xmas . :animatedpigeons:

Guest geordiejen

mate i used one teaspoonful of bleach to two litres of water in early breeding season this year.all young were healthy and no problems.however i lost a lot of latebreds and stopped using it.dont know if it had anything to do with the bleach but ive stopped using it now.

Guest geordiejen

guys ive tried using bleach,dont think its the way forward,yes it will stop cross infection via the drinkers.this can be achieved by using bicardonate of soda(raises the ph of the water)this means germs cannot multiply in the drinker.if you have a wee think about it i think it damages the birds immune system through time.by all means clean the drinkers out with bleach but a thorough rinse afterwards.

also i would like to add that if you suspect something sinister in the loft then use bleach but not long term.

Guest pigeonguy147

i use a capful of miltons sterilizer to a 8 litre watering can have done for past 3 yrs and tbh have not had any ybs or other probs with birds since i started useing miltons hope this helps atb to all for 2012

clive

i know that there is a new formula coming on the market for the blackpool show called solosan google it and see what you think

this might be of some interest mate.

Racing Pigeon Digest Featured Article

I think the good doctor has confused his acids & alkalis. Chlorine bleach is not an acid, it has a ph of around 11, so it is very alkaline. It therefore can't make droppings or anything else, more acidic. And what really confuses me is why he doesn't allow his birds to drink 'ordinary chlorinated water' - because of the dangers associated with chlorine -then goes and adds a chlorine bleach to it? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

The one thing we are told not to do, is mix acids & alkalis as they will react violently. Chlorine reacts with stomach acid (hydrochloric acid) to produce Chlorine gas, which is poisonous & corrosive. So doing that just doesn't make any sense to me.