Where The Best Place To Get Baytril From?

kev01293

Guest strapper

hi can anyone tell me where to get baytril from? got 2 dead today with another one limping and not flying kev

looks likely its paratyphoid ...salmonela...instead of asking for baytril get the birds tested asap and get advice from the vet...i would try amoxicillin 1st b4 baytril.

are they drinking more water?

Guest strapper

what does the limping signify do you think ?

its a major sign of possible paratyhoid...also wing joints can be affected.

the joint gets swollen and stiff and sometimes looks like a hard bump.

most birds that are affected with wing stiffness...at this stage are no longer any good for racing

about 10 days ago i found one dead the morning after a hawk strike when some of my birds went missing till near dark so i thought maybe stress or it hit wires(or i conned myself into thinking that)then today i walk in the loft and find a yb and 3 y/o dead,i had noticed a hen yesterday that was having trouble putting weight on her leg but put it down to her knocking it but today when i checked her over i also noticed that if i dropped her she was having trouble flying,they are not drinking any more water than usual and are eating ok? i was only saying the other day how well they looked and now this? can they be checked for paratyphoid by a droppings sample?when i looked the dead birds over they hadnt lost any weight and i couldnt see anything obvious also their crops were empty and i know they came down for feeding yesterday so they aint holding corn,im gutted, kev :(

Alan K Jones BVetMed MRCVS

The Cottage, Turners Hill Road

Worth, Crawley,

West Sussex RH10 4LY

Tel: +44 (0)1293 884629

Fax: +44 (0)1293 885507

Mobile: 0836 205879

e-mail: akjones@birdvet.co.uk

(Chairman, Parrot Society UK

Board member, Association of Avian Veterinarians)

He's away until 29th Nov sorry :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: but worth a call - as it might have been last year!

Look on website for updated phone numbers

otherwise:

http://www.birdcareco.com/English/Avian_vets/avian_vets.html

Keep clear of Baytril let it take its course no matter what the outcome.You would be better left with no pigeons and start up again.

definatley dont give them baytril hardens the bones try and mix a box of garden lime into 4 gallons of water stir then let water settle take from top dont disturb the water give for 6 days just add more water to existing lime and keep stirring then 2 days multivitims

well guys/girls thanks 4 the replies/advice,after reading more about baytril ive decided against it,i did try to get some medpet 4 in 1 powder but thats a p.o.m as well,i can get amoxicillin but it takes approx 7-10 days to be shipped to me and i cant wait that long, ive given my 3 y/o hen a tablet of amoxiclav as it contains 40mg of amoxicillin and 10mg of clavulanic acid so hopefully that will do some good while im getting the meds sorted? no dead birds today thank god but some looking down a bit,gonna ring round some vets now to see wot i can get, kev

yeh they get redstone grit,pickstones,pink minerals,so no shortage of calcium,found one more bird today on its last legs so moved it on,also when cleaning out loft today noticed some blood in droppings which i had b4 with cocci but none of my birds have lost weight not even the dead ones kev