Killed Racers

tiger

Heard it on the radio, it said approximately £30,000 worth killed.

Probe after 52 racing pigeons killed in Edinburgh

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53852000/jpg/_53852983_pigeon2.jpgPigeon owner Brian O'Neil described the attack on his birds as "shocking"A racing pigeon owner in Edinburgh has been left devastated after 52 of his birds were killed in a "sickening" attack.

It happened at his property in Old Dalkeith Road sometime between 2000 BST on Friday and 0700 BST on Saturday.

Brian O'Neill said he had locked his lofts for the night but in the morning found one lying on its side and the 42 adult and 10 baby birds inside dead.

He told BBC Scotland he believed they had been struck with a stick.

Lothian and Borders Police have appealed for information.

The value of the dead pigeons is estimated at about £30,000.

Mr O'Neill, who won 28 trophies with his racing pigeons last year, said: "It's shocking that someone could come here to a private property and kill pigeons at their will.

"These pigeons are my life. I've spent a lifetime on them, making them what they are. Now I've got to start all over again."

He said he thought the birds had died after being hit on the backs with a stick and he described those responsible as "cruel".

A police spokesman said: "This has been a sickening act of animal cruelty, which has left the birds' owner extremely upset at the death of his birds.

"Anyone who can assist us in identifying those responsible for this incident is asked to contact police immediately."

Guest peter4pm

this is the soceiety we now live in folks ....these ppl do this sh** for fun ...Sickening ....the guy must be gutted to say the least

Seen the doos on telly news, mostly blues and chequers with damage to their backs, if ever anyone deserves a wee hand to get going again i'd say this man does, and i will gladly donate doos if an appeal is made on his behalf.

If caught i bet the person/s who done this will get no more than a few months in the nick, a disgrace in itself

Seen the doos on telly news, mostly blues and chequers with damage to their backs, if ever anyone deserves a wee hand to get going again i'd say this man does, and i will gladly donate doos if an appeal is made on his behalf.

If caught i bet the person/s who done this will get no more than a few months in the nick, a disgrace in itself

never mind the nick, dish out some proper justice????

john

He must be truly heartbroken hope they catch them and string them up someone will know about it . Police never seem to catch anyone for these crimes !!!!

look at the article in the SUN today does it imply what i think

Just read it Alan, makes me very angryhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

a link to the article;

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3677348/Fifty-race-pigeons-slaughtered.html

Really sad, and a really sad single comment about 'cat burglar' on that video. Sick humour.

Don't believe it's anyone used to being around pigeons, not pigeon people - I think Brian dismissed that one too - its the work of someone wicked that doesn't know how to kill birds quickly or humanely. Hope they're caught.

• 2 weeks later...

There was something in the newspaper about a feud with a family he'd lent money to? but haven't heard anything more on the case for a while. Hope it gets sorted quick. Good on the guy for bouncing right back.