K Index

tyson

regarding the k index I have studied this for atleast 15 years and it does affect the pigeons I get daily bulletins from the s.i.d.c now on the 1st of june there was a cme erupted from the sun heading for earth due to arrive on june 4th now on the 2nd june a furher cme erupted from the sun which was larger than the one on 1st june with this being larger it had a faster wind stream and would catch up with the one that erupted on 1st june resulting in a larger cme due to hit the earth on 4th june now I am race controller for midlothian fed and olso one of the controllers for the s.n.f.c on friday I spoke to Jim Hannah about the forcast for the saturday told him the forcast looked good but we might have a bit of cloud cover at race point early morning I said that is the good part but we are going to hit on saturday with a magnetic storm from the sun but unfortunetly we could not hold the pigeons because the fanciers would think we were nuts and would get linched possibly this was the cause possibly not but a awful lot of organisations took a hammering just food for thought

regarding the k index I have studied this for atleast 15 years and it does affect the pigeons I get daily bulletins from the s.i.d.c now on the 1st of june there was a cme erupted from the sun heading for earth due to arrive on june 4th now on the 2nd june a furher cme erupted from the sun which was larger than the one on 1st june with this being larger it had a faster wind stream and would catch up with the one that erupted on 1st june resulting in a larger cme due to hit the earth on 4th june now I am race controller for midlothian fed and olso one of the controllers for the s.n.f.c on friday I spoke to Jim Hannah about the forcast for the saturday told him the forcast looked good but we might have a bit of cloud cover at race point early morning I said that is the good part but we are going to hit on saturday with a magnetic storm from the sun but unfortunetly we could not hold the pigeons because the fanciers would think we were nuts and would get linched possibly this was the cause possibly not but a awful lot of organisations took a hammering just food for thought

I am now a believer Peter. Never even heard of this before Sat. I was watching birds going over heading north then just turn and head west then east!! They where tired pigeons but just clueless to where they were!!

funny where pigeons turned up too over the weekend too :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Exactly.... People are saying the north east wind. Yeah was not ideal for SNFC but other feds had tail wind and got smashed. Also been 2 PB members say birds reported 80-100 mile north of there loft. So these birds have went head first into wind 2-3 hours on wing. Was because they were not homing right due to something!!

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

i have followed this also but recently lost the link if any one can send it to me? i lost a lot of birds on bad magnetic days

Guest Gareth Rankin

Excellent and Honest assessment Peter and one you should be applauded for, though were do the race controllers and we the fanciers go from here??? is it a AGM decision or is it one the race controllers can/will make the decision on themselves of whether to delay a lib for the K Index being high.

problem with cme,s they can predict when they are due to hit the earth but not an exact time with cme it could last upto 3hrs or less or 24hrs if we could get exact times then race controllers could delay libs until the geomagnetics settled down but as I have said you would have fanciers going daft because you could have a great weather forcast but you were delaying the lib because of something coming from the sun but I think It needs a serious debate and get more opions on the matter

just a nother bit of onfo if the k index is predicted to be a 3 or 4 k birds should be okay but if rises above 5k then we have what they call disturbed geomagnetic conditions I personaly usually check before going training and if it is high I dont train that day

problem with cme,s they can predict when they are due to hit the earth but not an exact time with cme it could last upto 3hrs or less or 24hrs if we could get exact times then race controllers could delay libs until the geomagnetics settled down but as I have said you would have fanciers going daft because you could have a great weather forcast but you were delaying the lib because of something coming from the sun but I think It needs a serious debate and get more opions on the matter

I know where you're coming from when you say fanciers would lynch you for holding over, Damned if you do Damned if you don't situation. What fanciers really need to do is TRUST the race controllers to do the best job that they can and accept the reasons given for decisions made. Decisions that are made for the good of the convoy NOT the fanciers.

Its a ridiculous state of affairs that a man gets Voted into a Job that NO ONE ELSE WANTS, then gets slated from the self same men who do not have the courage to take the job themselves.

As usual the driving force behind bad races is Fanciers themselves jmo!

I am always willing to re-visit anything I’ve expressed an opinion about. I had a look at the actual K Index here in Britain on race days from 9th April to 4th June 2011, as measured at Lerwick and Eskdalemuir Observatories. The figures are the mean of the hourly K reading grouped into 3 hour periods from midnight to midnight. I’ve given the ranges below:-

9/4. Lerwick 0-3, Eskdalemuir 0-3

16/4 Lerwick 0-1, Eskdalemuir 0-1

23/4 Lerwick 0-1, Eskdalemuir 0-1

30/4 Lerwick 3-4, Eskdalemuir 3-4

7/5 Lerwick 0-2, Eskdalemuir 0-3

14/5 Lerwick 0-2, Eskdalemuir 0-2

21/5 Lerwick 0-2, Eskdalemuir 0-3

28/5 Lerwick 2-6, Eskdalemuir 2-5

4/6 Lerwick 0-4, Eskdalemuir 0-5 Hartland (South Devon) 0-5

On those race days the Index rose to 4 and above, the readings were:-

30/4

Lerwick 3 and 4. Times for 4= 0000-0300, 1200-1500, 1800-2100, 2100-2400.

Eskdalemuir 3 and 4. Times for 4= 0000-0300, 0900-1500, 1800-2400.

28/5

Lerwick 2,4,6. Times for 4 and 6 = 0000-0300 (4), 0600-1200 (4) 12-1500 (6).

Eskdalemuir 2,3,4, and 5. Times for 4 and 5 = 0000-0300 (4), 0600-0900 (5), 0900-1200 (4), 1200-1500 (5).

And 4/6 (date which K Index is said to be reason for bad racing throughout Britain):-

Lerwick 0,1,3, 4. Times for 4= 2100-2400.

Eskdalemuir 0,1,4,5. Times for 4 and 5= 1800-2100 (4), 2100 – 2400 (5)

Hartland (South Devon) 0,1, 5. Times for 5= 1800-2400.

'Reproduced with the permission of the British Geological Survey

©NERC’.

http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/data_service/data/magnetic_indices/k_indices.html

IMO:

From my reading of this data, our birds were liberated on 4th June at 0645 from Marlborough when our K Index was never higher than 1 all the way up to Scottish Borders.

The pigeons were timed into Scotland from 1330 onwards, well before K Index had reached 4 in the ‘South’ at 1800, and 2100 in 'North'. 4 is said to be the K Index Safe Upper Limit.

According to the Theory, 28th May should have been a disaster, look at the readings for 4, 5 & 6 from 0600, the normal liberation time..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

very high this week :emoticon-0138-thinking:

WE SPOKE ABOUT THIS TODAY AND IF THE "K" INDEX IS THAT GOOD AND ALWAYS RIGHT THEN WHY DID I GET 90% RETURNS FROM KELSO AND ONLY 25% RETURNS FAE RIDSDALE??? GOOD FAE 1 RACE ON A HIGH INDEX DAY BUT BAD FAE ANOTHER RACE SO WAS THE GOOD RACE OOTSIDE THE INDEX AND THE BAD RACE IN IT OR SHOULD I JUST BLAME IT ON THE "K" INDEX???? NO CHANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

WE SPOKE ABOUT THIS TODAY AND IF THE "K" INDEX IS THAT GOOD AND ALWAYS RIGHT THEN WHY DID I GET 90% RETURNS FROM KELSO AND ONLY 25% RETURNS FAE RIDSDALE??? GOOD FAE 1 RACE ON A HIGH INDEX DAY BUT BAD FAE ANOTHER RACE SO WAS THE GOOD RACE OOTSIDE THE INDEX AND THE BAD RACE IN IT OR SHOULD I JUST BLAME IT ON THE "K" INDEX???? NO CHANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

alf my knowledge on the subject is very low :emoticon-0138-thinking:

im just highlighting the issue mate i would think for any sort of conclusion to be formed would need to be done on a weekly a reports on races from clubs feds all around the country

my own beliefs is on losses is hawks at the race points is the main cause and i probably get slaughtered for this but i believe the quality of the birds comes next jmo

Guest Gareth Rankin

Out of a short race the K index should have minimal effect as the doos are heading in the one direction into a small area, but as soon as another problem comes into play such as hawks, clashing and bad weather then this is when pigeons struggle with the K Index being high even from a short distance. JMO

Out of a short race the K index should have minimal effect as the doos are heading in the one direction into a small area, but as soon as another problem comes into play such as hawks, clashing and bad weather then this is when pigeons struggle with the K Index being high even from a short distance. JMO

Very true Gareth

i get the daily email from s.i.d.c. which gives info on the k index factor after reading about it in the rp in bilcos write ups a few years ago,i think if he is a believer then it is at least worth taking a look at it as ive always found his ideas/theories to be on the money but some think that the k index/presto warning doesnt affect the homing ability as its in space and shouldnt affect the pigeons on earth?? (somebody elses words not mine) :emoticon-0138-thinking: