East Winds

sapper756

East Winds  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quite a few posts lately have been commenting on the fore casted East winds for this week end.

What are the members views/experiences/thoughts on East winds, and does an East wind have an effect on the number birds you send to a race?

I have read qoutes such as;

"I won,t be sending any"

"I will only be sending a few"

"I won,t send my chanel birds"

which bids the question, WHY?

thank you

Edited by sapper756

Guest spin cycle

seriously considering not sending this week....my birds have had 3 races and i want them ok for dunbar in a fortnight....not huddling on a perch.....nothing really to gain from racing this weekend

Guest spin cycle

If you want them to win they are going to have to come through east winds some time, i can't see the point in NOT sending them, if you mollycoddle them how are you really going to find out what your feeding . jmo.

if i was worried about club racing they'd go...but i'm not. with the wind in the east i've not a chance in the fed. most of the team flew dunbar/perth and fraser'gh last year...some also did thurso....its just a 'gut' feeling that ,for me, it would be a mistake. no need for them to take a 'kicking' for the sake of it.....they represent 4 years work

East wind usually means high velocities and heavy losses. Nothing in nature likes an east wind because it is the Coldest and they don't like that.

Next time there is a reasonably strong East wind have a look in the nearest fields to you and you will see the Cattle standing with there back side to the wind, they don't even like it!!

East wind usually means high velocities and heavy losses. Nothing in nature likes an east wind because it is the Coldest and they don't like that.

Next time there is a reasonably strong East wind have a look in the nearest fields to you and you will see the Cattle standing with there back side to the wind, they don't even like it!!

THE NORTH EAST WIND AFF THE HILLS DOON HERE JOHN WID CUT YE IN 2 THIS AFTERNOON AND IS SUPPOSEDLY TO BE -2 THE NIGHT , JUST TURNED THE HEATIN UP MASEL :emoticon-0138-thinking:HAD MA HENS OUT FOR A HOUR AT 6PM THEY FLEW IT NAE PROBS BUT THEY WERE NO ENJOYIN IT VERY TIGHT FORMATION AND NO GOING FAR FAE LOFT WEE CIRCLES ANY OTHER NIGHT THERE AFF ON TOUR

As John says no creature likes east winds.

The dilemma is once the wind comes in from the east it generally remains that way for a good few weeks, how many races do you miss......one.......two..........? before you know it your an extra 100 miles up/down the road and there's no guarantee the wind will have shifted direction three weeks from now. I think if you send its a case of ya pays ya money and ya takes a chance, no blaming race controllers or convoyers for a bad race............. pigeons dont like it and yearlings will/do suffer more than most.

My advice to anyone thats trying to build up a team of old birds is to leave them in the loft.

To me its just a different wind for the birds to come in, yes I know pigeons don't like East winds but most fanciers will still be letting them out in it probably twice for a hour and most will say they fly for the full hour both times, what do you do if they go over the water are held and let go the day after and it is an East wind, tell them to bring them back, don't think so.

Paul

To me its just a different wind for the birds to come in, yes I know pigeons don't like East winds but most fanciers will still be letting them out in it probably twice for a hour and most will say they fly for the full hour both times, what do you do if they go over the water are held and let go the day after and it is an East wind, tell them to bring them back, don't think so.

Paul

well going over the water here is end june into july much warmer then at the start of season the chill factor in a nor east wind is baltic here especially starting birds for first race

well going over the water here is end june into july much warmer then at the start of season the chill factor in a nor east wind is baltic here especially starting birds for first race

Yes but this is about each persons own area not about yours, it is probably colder where you are and if I lived there then I may think differently but I dont, so at the moment that is my opinion.

birds don't like East winds wether it be cold or warm as they are dry winds, we only do water races

June and July as well but an East wind is an East wind wether it be warm or cold.

Paul

Because of my loft location I stand a better chance of winning a race with East/North East winds or at a push North wind,none at all with a West..Not too keen early on in the season and this weekends wind I think it's more the strengh of the wind rather than the direction that is making me think twice about the number of birds I will be sending.JMO

Lindsay

It's as true today as it has always been 'When there's wind in the East, it's no good for man or Beast'. The ole timers, and the smart ones I'd wager today, just send ole hen's or cocks to keep them in the averages etc. Yearlings hate it. Many a good birds are lost in training in East winds, let alone racing (Yearlings!)... JMO and others expierences.

Will I send this week? ... Well I haven't trained them this week, but may send a couple of pairs. They are coming into 'Loft Fitness' and will be looking at Dunbar shortly in the NRCC. Will decide on Friday.

Guest Gareth Rankin

I don't let forecast wind & weather influence which birds go to races, if they are up for it, they go.

Have to agree with you IB and if every fancier took this view then pigeons generations down the line will have a greater resilience to what may be flung at them, too much mollycoddlen going on in the sport.

easterly or south easterly is usually better for us in the west side of our federation ( north of scotland ) its one of the few opportunities for west section guys to top the federation, north easterly not so good as the wind is generaly cooler and the birds dont seem to like??

either way regardless of wind direction the birds go, if they are fit and healthy that is?

i work offshore approximately 135 miles east of montrose and when ever i see westerly winds of any significence we always have lots of pigeons on the rig with us,

johnnie

Quite a few posts lately have been commenting on the fore casted East winds for this week end.

What are the members views/experiences/thoughts on East winds, and does an East wind have an effect on the number birds you send to a race?

I have read qoutes such as;

"I won,t be sending any"

"I will only be sending a few"

"I won,t send my chanel birds"

which bids the question, WHY?

thank you

well my whole team will be going 24 hens 23 cocks on saturday, regardless of weather, thats why we put trust in our race controller and convoyer, and we are lucky to have two good lads davie hay and davie barrie in that roles

john

Guest spin cycle

like roly i'm looking ahead to dunbar. greenlands makes a good point about wind strength. the wind's been east the whole time so far this season but its been light and sunny. this weekend it's forecast 20 mph and add in the north its very cold. my birds have had 3 races ....so 'discretion better part of valour' for me i think ;)

Have to agree with you IB and if every fancier took this view then pigeons generations down the line will have a greater resilience to what may be flung at them, too much mollycoddlen going on in the sport.

would agree to an exstent gareth but when your racing east to west there usually very fast

and a lot go way to far over into cumbria and ireland and maby beyond , a lot of tried and tested birds have dissapeared at these fast short east wind races

Well I'm 100% for the birds not being molly coddled. Likewise birds that are test on long and hard races are the ones that are the Building bricks, corner stones and foundations of every successful racing loft. That is regardless whether one wants the sprints, or Middle or distance team.... ALL come via these birds via means of testing!

But that is a far cry from needlessly testing birds in conditions that are very uncomfortable and often with proven disastrous results. There will be very many testing and hard distance races coming each season to test their' mettle, to earn a perch, even a nest box. These birds that are not molly coddled, but given sensible races in realistic weather flown when they are in great condition.

The weather has been slightly better thus far this season, but nowhere near enough sun on their backs to get them into top condition. Let alone to come through cold East winds without having a knock on effect. Yes of course they will home! Nothing more, and certainly won't 'Race'. So why would I, or any one else wish to needlessly chance their arm for a bit of cardboard and a pat on the back? :emoticon-0138-thinking: Especially when 99% of the decent and best races to win are a while away yet.

If I was interested in 'Averages' etc. then I might send a older pair or so ... But if I have a pair that I think will do me honour this week - end, then I reason that they will be all the better not going and doing me honour in a race bearing more credit.

I personally never fly the first race or too so I am never tempted to chance good birds to win averages... Distance and Scottish averages! Now your talking and worth while, but of course they weather and hours of daylight deem it would be fool hardy to race these prestige races now... especially in cold strong East winds! JMO.

personaly i beleive if a pigeon can think it will come home ......

trouble is too many people carry too many pigeons that can only fly straight..and fast..and the brains are up there asre blowing them. too many followers in a team in basket out down road in basket out etc.

what i appreciate is the likes of gareth rankin making sensible comments, with performances

to back up any statements.

my own opinion on this is my own birds have just finished rearing and are not 100% race fit and I think to send them to face a cold n.east wind could be asking for trouble as it is not going to be alight wind looking at around 10/15 ml an hour with gusts of 25 ml an hour jmo

my own opinion on this is my own birds have just finished rearing and are not 100% race fit and I think to send them to face a cold n.east wind could be asking for trouble as it is not going to be alight wind looking at around 10/15 ml an hour with gusts of 25 ml an hour jmo

Exactly. will be plenty of 'Testers' with Lerwick - hardest race barr none in the UK - and Pau Tarbes as such.

So to send a bird just to race is, and has been the downfall of so many. Sending birds not aclimatised and conditioned enough.

Mine are still on youngsters, for instance. Why would I wish to cause stress and give them a hard time for nothing. Ok, if youngster were away in January, and in a heated loft to bring on condition, there maybe fora race of Merit I would send a few to keep in the averages.

Yes have a few hens sitting a week old youngsters, and cocks driving to a Big youngster, so they could, nd would most likely perform well with creedance. But as I'm already out of the averages, and have other races in mind, I don't think I will send for nothing.

South roaders would be facing a stiff to strong side wind, a cold bugger at that, and the North roaders would be far better suited from a side wind to one from behind, so if I go, it would be North.