Longest Bad Trap

billt

What was your longest bad trap? Mine was 17mins.and boy did it seem like 17hrs. Y/Bird National 1982 from Guernsey, young cock had won club previous week from Picaville (104mls.)So fancied him from Guernsey (109mls.)He came good and sat on the garage, I tried everything to coax him in in the end I chased him off and after a few laps he trapped good, I can only think getting libbed with over 12000 birds had spooked him, he still finished 141st. open, I'm sure this pigeon racing can give you ulcers :emoticon-0179-headbang::D

Ypres, SNFC 2010. Got yearling blue hen ( fancied ) at 7.30pm. She sat on roof across street and I called her for about half an hour.After my lad trying to get her off the roof with stones etc, we eventually decided it couldnt be her as she was normally a great trapper. Didnt get another bird on night so got up in morning and she was still there, sitting sleeping. I shouted at her out bedroom window, not even thinking she would react and still doubting if it was her. She sat up,shook herself and flew down right onto trap.The air was blue, she timed in around 5am and still won a diploma. I got this pigeon from Bill Southward, Cumbria and he told me it was a family trait for them to come from the distance and sit out all night. They just put the shutters up when they get home. If it does it from the Gold cup in 2011, the slug gun will be out :emoticon-0127-lipssealed::emoticon-0140-rofl: Forgot to say, she would have been in top 25 Open SNFC. :cry-blow:

Guest Gareth Rankin

Ypres, SNFC 2010. Got yearling blue hen ( fancied ) at 7.30pm. She sat on roof across street and I called her for about half an hour.After my lad trying to get her off the roof with stones etc, we eventually decided it couldnt be her as she was normally a great trapper. Didnt get another bird on night so got up in morning and she was still there, sitting sleeping. I shouted at her out bedroom window, not even thinking she would react and still doubting if it was her. She sat up,shook herself and flew down right onto trap.The air was blue, she timed in around 5am and still won a diploma. I got this pigeon from Bill Southward, Cumbria and he told me it was a family trait for them to come from the distance and sit out all night. They just put the shutters up when they get home. If it does it from the Gold cup in 2011, the slug gun will be out :emoticon-0127-lipssealed::emoticon-0140-rofl: Forgot to say, she would have been in top 25 Open SNFC. :cry-blow:

Ever thought about wearing a mask Delboy, its obvious that you have a face that would scare the blind, i almost feel sorry for the doo :emoticon-0140-rofl::egyptian:

mine is 22 mins xmus race 1997 .it was my 1st year of racing and the hen just looked down and must have thought you will need to wait your time to GRAB me ya loony. she was beat by 22 min in to 2nd by partnership of primrose and bell .both birds came together jim,s trapped mine did not 3rd bird 6 mins behind mine.

Guest strapper

cant remember the longest but in 2010 last youngbird race of the season...

my 1st bird home took 4 mins to be clocked,well it may not sound anything exciting but the bird managed to top the fed!! ;)

Some where in the region of 45 minutes,we had a stinker of a race from Portsmouth,East wind 300ml should have took them 5 hrs.A cheq.landed on the block of houses below mine,I thought it can't be my bird they're not allowed on the roof tops,looked at the clock and thought a bit soon ,being on my own I couldn't leave the loft but the more I looked at the cheq. the more I thought it was mine.Time passed and I was getting that feeling thats mine so I walked down the path behind the houses and threw a ball in the air the bird flew off,ah wrong not mine got to the loft and it was there with it's head that far in the drinker I thought it was trying to drown itself.

Beaten into the first place by five minutes.I think there was about 60 birds away in the club on doing clocks 10 or so birds home four hours after clocking

Guest mick bowler

I can only recall of twice when the time was exceptional (10+ mins), and both times the birds never made it into the loft, once bad enough, wouldnt give the them the excuse to make it twice.

mine was 3 hrs, i sent 2 to poole 250 miles, weather was 30+ not a cloud in the sky birds libbed at 6am, clocked the first at 1.15 and as i came out the loft the second turned up and sat on the roof for 3 hrs, i still clocked her and finished 2nd and sixth club

I could mention a few every year but ill just stick to the big races :emoticon-0138-thinking: I was on phone to big Gareth Rankin when he timed in his good hen Rainbow from Tours 600+ miles on a miserable wet morning, around 06.38am. I was delighted for him and his dad as this was the first bird heard of in the west of Scotland. I sat at my bedroom window watching the rain batter down thinking what an achievement put up by this gallant pigeon, when my wee ch hen came like a rocket over the roof.I put my shoes on and ran out to the loft, she was a spooky fker at the best of times so sat away at the back of the loft.The time around 7am and I flew 16 miles further than Gareth. Needless to say it didnt matter, she didnt trap for about 15-20 minutes, timing at 07.23am Could I have caught the big fella to win the west section :emoticon-0138-thinking: I was delighted with 2nd section, 11th Open :emoticon-0123-party:

Before I learned how to fly widowhood, I would have cocks floating around for ages before they would look at the trap. Sometimes a bird would land on the trap only to take off again to fly with a later bird. It was a nightmare especially when they were back in time to win. I have learned a lot since then, they go straight in these days. Thank goodness!

have a check cock that allways gives 2mins away at the home end,races right to the door then puffs chest out and clapps around happy to be home cost him the fed twice once by less than a second,not a flighty bird just frustrating :emoticon-0179-headbang:

Bad trapping is not common at my loft but in 2008 a Blue Pd Ck came and was trapping clean until a young street pigeon flew between him and the landing board. He took off after it, returning about 2 minutes later. What makes this the worst is he was my nomination and accumulator, the accy had not been won that year (race 9) and i got beaten by a decimal for 1st.

Lanarkshire Social Circle yb Breeder.Buyer race . I get 2 together, my breeder buyer ( terrible trapper ) and a wee red hen ( fantastic trapper ) Needless to say, the bad yin kept the good yin out for 4 minutes :emoticon-0179-headbang: and then stayed out a further 35 minutes. Done myself out of a few quid because I was both breeder and buyer. The lucky bassa ( raffles )Quinny won it and a few hundred notes into the bargain. :emoticon-0123-party:

had a one come 3 wks on the trot would never go in on race days the 3rd time was its last went in the garden

Thats what i do any bad trappers are got rid of if they are repeat offenders as i like my doos oot the sky onto the trap and in and sometimes my y/b's will land in the park where the loft is but same again if they keep doing it and it's always the same wans they too go oer the burn

Lanarkshire Social Circle yb Breeder.Buyer race . I get 2 together, my breeder buyer ( terrible trapper ) and a wee red hen ( fantastic trapper ) Needless to say, the bad yin kept the good yin out for 4 minutes :emoticon-0179-headbang: and then stayed out a further 35 minutes. Done myself out of a few quid because I was both breeder and buyer. The lucky bassa ( raffles )Quinny won it and a few hundred notes into the bargain. :emoticon-0123-party:

Precisely £169.40 each for me and Cammy, the Breeder

Edited by JohnQuinn

Guest JonesyBhoy

Ive had a few but none to ever really cost me a major prize..

But my Da always talks about an Avaranches race in the early 80s... no doos on the night... down to the run, first light next day..(and there loft and Jack Mc Gougans actually touched on to each other).. ma da say about 7am.. these two doos came charging up the leven.. one straight thru Mc Gougans door the other up on the the Bond roof.. My Uncle Mick says to my Da 'that looks like our Cheq cock' ma da says 'no chance never been up there in his life' few mins pass sure enough it was.. get it in to be 2nd. Imagine after over 500 miles the first two doos coming together and being beat on the trap..

My old boy says he had been caught a fair few times that year tho.. so that must have been in the cocks mind..

our good grizzle cock sat out for 12 mins from gold cup in 2001 and was 1st sect 2nd open the following year he sat out for 17mins and was 4th sect 5th open from gold cup.

this year from eastbourne his grand son was our first bird back from eastbourne and still have not timed him :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Champion Shawhill Prince, ye should have put him in the garden John :emoticon-0136-giggle: No joking aside, repeat bad trapping offenders at club racing are maybe better in the wheelie bin.The same race, I timed Peggy to be 1st west section 5th Open, she sat out 5 minutes but that was her usual.She was a notorious bad trapper but is responsible for almost 60 SNFC Diplomas.