Reason For Losses Yb'S

THE FIFER

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Firstly were the youngsters ready for the jump as i know in our club the birdage doubled.My main concearn is the fact that many birds brought for race marking are not in good health,and often should not be accepted for entry.We dont have basket controllers as such to give advice on medication and try and help their birds problems.Birds that are not ranging freely then put into races without schooling only hold the others back.Medicine for some will cure them but not keep them clear of illness and in most instances better husbandry and care will.In our Fed we have 3 races to go and the basket controllers might be a positive step to prevent many health matters which in this day are very prevalent.

http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/topic/28160-transportation-of-birds/page__hl__crate

I believe this is the way forward for y/bird racing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this thread with great interest,can't come up with any answers only observations. When I first started with pigeons in the early sixties I had never heard of antibiotics or BOP as a problem,we never had a phone let alone a mobile and we trained our y/birds 45-90mls by rail before Dr. Beeching got to work.We always had birds missing on race days but most seemed to show the next day,1963 was a year when losses were very heavy and I reported missing birds all over the country and the best part of 50 years on we are still trying to work out the cause of these losses,hope someone sorts it out soon I haven't got another 50 years left.

There is no doubt, no doubt at all the main reason for young bird losses in August each year in the Solway is the presence of large numbers of Peregrine Falcons in Cumbria which has the unenviable reputation of having the highest density of these predators in Northern Europe.

walter you will obviously have witnessed peregrines chassing birds back down the valleys all day where you are , i think a lot dont understand the devastation they can do to a convoy of pigeons :(

Firstly were the youngsters ready for the jump as i know in our club the birdage doubled.My main concearn is the fact that many birds brought for race marking are not in good health,and often should not be accepted for entry.We dont have basket controllers as such to give advice on medication and try and help their birds problems.Birds that are not ranging freely then put into races without schooling only hold the others back.Medicine for some will cure them but not keep them clear of illness and in most instances better husbandry and care will.In our Fed we have 3 races to go and the basket controllers might be a positive step to prevent many health matters which in this day are very prevalent. ;)

You are absolutely 100% correct. A lot of these birds are ill and this is not something developed over the last couple of days its long standing clamidia young bird sickness canker Some of my best friends are Scottish fanciers but a lot of lads north of the border do not recognise some of there birds are ill.I attended a liberation at Tow Law we picked up birds too ill to leave the transporter a nd put them back in.I would say instead of buying more birds invest in a book called FIT TO WIN.

thats whow should be doing it m8, all the unions combined should get something done,

Unions are not interested they have sold all there rings and got our fees dont have enough money to finance this project. To interested in banning members for trivial issues making rules to make pigeon racing harder and more complicated :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

surly the men that handle the birds at race marking are the men that should

say if a bird is well or fit enough to go to a race.sick birds are not hard

to spot. I pulled one up on Friday and told the owner who then asked someone

else who said the bird was OK,the bird went, I rest my case. I bet its not home.

wullie g

think this could be the problem we are having, some flying North others flying South, clashing

As one that flies both ways, and having won Bergerac and the Thurso 2 weeks later with same bird I’ll put my twopence worth in lol. Yes mostly my birds are ONE team and go where sent! Like many others I train wherever one gets a cost effective lift in any direction. (Makes me think – just this minute - that my birds are missing out because I tend to train more one way now I am able to drive and go up the road) Which I must add also my birds fly alternative routes depending on the 'Race Merit' I wish to have a go at. So then I can't see any merit training or racing regards where - Personally - it bears any merit.

As for Clashing, where they are honed onto their’ course home! They don't see much at all until last second. Swerving to miss trees, or flitting over a hedge. Also regards clashing they are, and would be nigh every week at different heights depending on the wind.

I live 2 hundred yards from Wicksteeds park, where liberations are often held. Much the time my youngsters have flown through, from a race, masses of pigeons circling overhead. Likewise I, and others take our youngsters up to the park and release them with those birds. They either A. Fly round and home straight of. B. Disappear with them and come back at various times. This is regard via some past masters as a great learning curve.

Now they love to fly it would appear with company... but not when wanting home, they fly with the so called drag as long as it is heading their' way... they learn to break. Of course they do, they must do or you'd never get any home from a race. JMO and experiences.

healthy well trained ybs should home after clashing or rain on the day or next day, a lot of ybs are bred off paper pigeons bought for stock that have never seen a race basket.

i would agree some should make it the next day

but weve been getting rain every day since saturday

the birds just havent had a chance to get home

when they dry out they just get soaked again

Guest spin cycle

perhaps feds should not have yb races over 100 miles ? this would cut the clashing...also take some of the 'glory' out of yb racing and re-focus on education....we'd need less ybs which would be better trained/looked after as a result JMO :)

perhaps feds should not have yb races over 100 miles ? this would cut the clashing...also take some of the 'glory' out of yb racing and re-focus on education....we'd need less ybs which would be better trained/looked after as a result JMO :)

Fife Fed were at 45mls if they went high enough the would see Fife no problem

Guest spin cycle

Fife Fed were at 45mls if they went high enough the would see Fife no problem

point taken...i've been following the posts...but not got the complete picture. in a case like this maybe you need to look at why this happened as many people train further than that. assuming the weather was ok ?....did the conveyor report on the direction the group(s?) took ? where have strays been reported ? if there is no explanation there...did everybody suffer roughly the same losses ? is it possible that because it was only 45 miles that many fanciers didn't train as well as they might and these dragged the rest of course??...most likely is it was just one of those races

Could it be that all this vacinating our birds is affecting them? In years gone by there was none of this but perhaps the pigeons immunity and strenght is being affected by the chemicals being injected into them?

I do think its true that some fanciers think they can send a paper bag and it will win. An ex-fancier in our club sent a bird with one eye, and when one member sent one with only half a wing he said it wasn't like that when he'd basketed. Errmm what had it done, pulled its own flights out in the basket? I think not.

I do think that there needs to be greater co-operation between feds throughout the country. Racing North Road in North Yorkshire we have problems with the UNC who can be very secretative and don't always show thought for others racing.

total hawk massacre mate, nothing else if it was phones we would have no tossing at all done , so stop thinking of other excuses as there are none

as years gone by the late comers returned due to

not having drinks on board trains and such like but they made it theses birds now days are eaten alive

thats why the lucky ones that return to you only have tails out and secondaries, and if you ask a maths teacher you had 3 birds injured from a team of 12 what would the persentage of hawks there where attacking your birds and i would say in the lanarkshire fed alone on any one race of 5,000 birds

there will be at least 300 birds home with feathers missing and 2,000 killed by bop

I totally agree with the last post. Itis hawks,hawks and again hawks.Twice or three times over the last two or three years I have personally witnessed large racing teams of pigeons easily several hundred thrown into complete and utter disarray by the attack of a single peregrine falcon.I very much doubt if any of these birds reached Lanarkshire.

pob attack,bad weather,clashes with other birds working up and down the country or birds not up to it just not good enough but most the problems nowdays somewere down the line it come back to pob getting in amongst them.

all the best.