Crop Full

SEE HOW IF YOU SHOUT ON YOUR BIRDS AND THE DONT RESPOND THIS MEANS ITS YBS CAN IT NOT JUST MEAN THEY ARENT TRAINED RIGHT OR ARE NOT HUNGARY ENOUGH TO WANT TO TRAP

Geo mate dinny take every post as gospel or yer gan tae have yer heed in knots before ye get tae yer first race.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its ybs keep all the birds in the loft for a week,does not matter a jot about isolation this is a viral condition,depurativeor a diet feed is required,glucose in the water,and as a precaution give them amoxycillin for 2-4 days to combat any chance of secondary infections (ie -e-coli),this will soon pass and the birds will be top notch within a week.crop retention is always related to ybs,but it may just be a greedy b*****d.

all the best

if its ybs keep all the birds in the loft for a week,does not matter a jot about isolation this is a viral condition,depurativeor a diet feed is required,glucose in the water,and as a precaution give them amoxycillin for 2-4 days to combat any chance of secondary infections (ie -e-coli),this will soon pass and the birds will be top notch within a week.crop retention is always related to ybs,but it may just be a greedy b*****d.

all the best

Hopefully it is or was just a greedy basterd today the more I think of it it was first at the feeder today and as its the newast addition to the loft a week or so in the loft I think it might have takoing its time to get settled

Hopefully it is or was just a greedy basterd today the more I think of it it was first at the feeder today and as its the newast addition to the loft a week or so in the loft I think it might have takoing its time to get settled

As a new introduction I wondered what precautions you took before allowing the bird free run of your loft? You may think you have brought sickness into your loft, but it may be this bird has picked something up from your other birds.

You have done the right thing isolating this pigeon. Give it water to drink but nothing to eat. Advice to give it this & that is misplaced right now because the gut is at a standstill, thanks to the crop being chockers the meds will go nowhere - there's no absorption into the bloodstream from the crop.

Check in the morning to see if the crop has emptied naturally - it should be clear 24 hours after last feed. If it has brought the grain up instead, then expect the droppings to be iffy, and don't feed till you have an empty crop, and then only lightly, a teaspoon of barley, to get things moving again.

Yes agree, don't seperate, let them all get it at same time and treat the lot.

Said once, infact have many times, 'Never had y/bs'. Mate said 'You have, you just never realised'.

I believe, regardless about Garden Lime' causing Ecoli - myth as far as I'm concerned - the properties are very soothing for the birds, and a handfull placed into the drinker and shook up / stirred well and put before them next day is great.

Kills a lot of nasties, and also on floor it contracts killing many nasties too. Also it keeps the loft sweet smelling, frsh and healthy. JMO and exierence.

Yes agree, don't seperate, let them all get it at same time and treat the lot.

Said once, infact have many times, 'Never had y/bs'. Mate said 'You have, you just never realised'.

I believe, regardless about Garden Lime' causing Ecoli - myth as far as I'm concerned - the properties are very soothing for the birds, and a handfull placed into the drinker and shook up / stirred well and put before them next day is great.

Kills a lot of nasties, and also on floor it contracts killing many nasties too. Also it keeps the loft sweet smelling, frsh and healthy. JMO and exierence.

The problem as I see it Roland, is if you do not seperate ill pigeons you allow the illness to spread to the rest of your birds. The other problem is most don't know what caused the illness in the first place. If we stick to young bird sickness, only one post tells the true story that it all starts with a viral infection. A virus that attacks the immune system. A virus like AIDS in pigeons. A virus that adult pigeons pass to their young in the egg so that they are infected long before they hatch. Young that hatch and excrete the virus which infects other 'clean' youngsters in the loft, so that the whole team can come down with it.

Only 'it' is secondary illnesses that fanciers rush to treat with this & that. Does it really make sense to let AIDS spread through your team? And breed Generations of infected pigeons that have a damaged immune system? All the lime and the other 'this & thats' in the world are a tad useless considering the bird is born with the illness and passes it on to the next generation.

Only 'it' is secondary illnesses that fanciers rush to treat with this & that. Does it really make sense to let AIDS spread through your team? And breed Generations of infected pigeons that have a damaged immune system? All the lime and the other 'this & thats' in the world are a tad useless considering the bird is born with the illness and passes it on to the next generation.

and how much experience have you of this IB saying one thing and having experienced it in your own loft are two different things no use offering advice if you do not know what it is

Guest strapper

[.

You have done the right thing isolating this pigeon. Give it water to drink but nothing to eat. Advice to give it this & that is misplaced right now because the gut is at a standstill, thanks to the crop being chockers the meds will go nowhere - there's no absorption into the bloodstream from the crop.

ib you are correct about this, i suggested this problem before on this forum and had 1-2 replies suggesting it was nonsense.

this is why it was stated on a top site by a top pigeon vet,that the only way that the bird will get medication at this point suffiencently, would be to have an injection alongside the keel.

i believe fural stays in the gut longer than baytril but fural doesnt penetrate deeper than baytril.

there are many types of advice given to combat ybs ,and it can be said there are different ways of overcoming it.

but the most important problem we have is fighting off the secondary infection as most now know is usually e coli...which we all know is a deadly killer.

the problem some fanciers encounter are that some fanciers are thinking that because the birds look better they are ok to race within 2-3 days of the last treatment.

because the signs have dissapeared it doesnt really mean that the virus has gone!..it justs means that its being combated and is under control.

i would never put my birds into a race within the same week as they have gotten over ybs but many do!..then ask why they have lost birds ,and state..well i treated them and they looked fine.

as ive said b4 i may not be the brightest spark, but i deffinately aint the dullest(according to reports) :lol:

after treament there should be a programme of reintroducing vitamins and minerals(as most know) as any medication would have removed all bacteria good and bad.

pro-biotic yoghurt doesnt always give back fully what the medication took out and the bird will have to build it back up over time.

one mistaken idea is a good imune system stops all bugs and viruses from entering the system!..it doesnt it only builds a wall of defiance that holds longer than a bad imune system...but can(doesnt mean it will) eventually succumb to the bug/virus.

Just checked the crop EMPTY

light feed barley / durupative ensure digestion is working and droppings fine , if so give it another day on its own to ensure alls well then return to loft , im pretty much with John Quinn weak birds get ill quicker , but im sure this is a case of over eating rather than ybs

and how much experience have you of this IB saying one thing and having experienced it in your own loft are two different things no use offering advice if you do not know what it is

I'm not following you, Sammy, and I don't think you follow what I am saying either. :) Put another way, I said that what folks are seeing and treating are just secondary symptoms - they think of it as a digestive upset. It's not. I had one around 3 months ago, took ill at the same time as I did. I was in my bed for 3 days, it was in a box. I've got a compromised immune system (diabetes) and recovered - it didn't and was disposed of, so it will not infect any of my other birds, nor will it infect any of the youngsters it breeds / rears.

I'm not following you, Sammy, and I don't think you follow what I am saying either. :) Put another way, I said that what folks are seeing and treating are just secondary symptoms - they think of it as a digestive upset. It's not. I had one around 3 months ago, took ill at the same time as I did. I was in my bed for 3 days, it was in a box. I've got a compromised immune system (diabetes) and recovered - it didn't and was disposed of, so it will not infect any of my other birds, nor will it infect any of the youngsters it breeds / rears.

well aware of what you are saying ian and cant understand what aids in humans has to do with ybs in pigeons ,i have diabetas as well for a number of years and have it in control ,as for young birds with crop retention more inclined to think its down to feeding rather than disease and the one you disposed of how did it get it and what was it and what did you do for it that you had to dispose of it ,i am more inclined to think that it came from the parents that was feeding it and not from any were else no one is getting away with these symptoms have it in my own loft were before i go to work i handle all my young birds and can still feel feeding in them one or two grains not a lot but they should be empty and beleive me when i say this 99% of lofts have the same its nothing major more of a condition than disease ;)

well aware of what you are saying ian and cant understand what aids in humans has to do with ybs in pigeons ,i have diabetas as well for a number of years and have it in control ,

Hi Sammy, see what you mean now. :) Split this wee bit off and will answer it seperate from your other question.

The virus behind young bird sickness is the equivalent of the 'human acquired immune deficiency syndrome' (aids) virus, it damages the young bird's immune system, leaving the bird unable to fight off even a mild infection. I mentioned diabetes because folk like you and I that have it, have a damaged immune system because of it, and we are more susceptible to illness. That's why we are offered the flu jab every year, we are considered 'at risk'. So me and the sick young bird were in much the same boat - both our immune systems were shot - but I got over it, and it didn't.

as for young birds with crop retention more inclined to think its down to feeding rather than disease and the one you disposed of how did it get it and what was it and what did you do for it that you had to dispose of it ,i am more inclined to think that it came from the parents that was feeding it and not from any were else no one is getting away with these symptoms have it in my own loft were before i go to work i handle all my young birds and can still feel feeding in them one or two grains not a lot but they should be empty and beleive me when i say this 99% of lofts have the same its nothing major more of a condition than disease ;)

Agree with you about crop retention, but as you'll see on this thread, more than a few jumped on 'could be YBS'. I've just come through a nightmare week with my 2nd round, with crops not emptying, and that was down to irregular feeding times (not fed because they wouldn't trap, as per normal advice on this forum) and gorging when they did. :angry:

The young bird that I disposed of: had been shifted from the nest and had been in with other YBs for a week or so. They had never been outside. First thing I noticed was hesitation coming off the perch down to the feeder, when all the others went straight down. Handled it and was aware of a smell. Next day definitely off colour, smell worse, coming from from crop which was swollen. Put it in a box on its own, jar of water with cider vinegar. Crop did not empty over 3 days the bird was in isolation, and in my opinion, it was beginning to suffer. That's when I decided on disposal.

This I believe was my first case of YBS, said to be triggered by a virus, which can be passed to the youngster in the egg by either or both parents. As I said, that youngster had never been out the loft, so my suspicion was that it had been infected by its parents - both of which I lost racing.

Guest mick bowler

Nonsense, EVERYBODY has had YBS. Just so many different strains of it,mild to fatal, eg if you shout on ybs and they dont respond, its YBS. I have heard this from fanciers before, Ive not had Ybs etc etc. Ive went to there lofts and pointed it out to them. Some of these guys were top fanciers too.

Delboy, i can also say i have never had "YBS" either. I dont even know what it is. I have had sick Ybs yes, but not this "YBS". I once thought i did but turned out it was just a bacterial infection. It seems nowadays that it is just a generic term for anything from cocci to circovirus. I dont beleive there really is a specific YBS illness. Just recently a lad was being told YBS this YBS that, i told him to use Baycox for cocci and cured!!

I have to say if you came to my loft and pointed out this "Specific YBS" with me not knowing it was there, i'd pack up on the spot and keep canaries!!

Glad to say that my yb is all better now was just been greedy and I was just panicking over the dreaded ybs but I believe it was the irregular feeding times as ib said not trapping etc also I think I've been feeding to much not weighing it etc so tomorrow is a new day for me and the birds I'm going to start being religous with the time they go out and the time they are fed

Glad to say that my yb is all better now was just been greedy and I was just panicking over the dreaded ybs but I believe it was the irregular feeding times as ib said not trapping etc also I think I've been feeding to much not weighing it etc so tomorrow is a new day for me and the birds I'm going to start being religous with the time they go out and the time they are fed

Good m8 you had us worrying as well B) B) B)