Giving Up

JAS

Hi after a couple of weeks of HAWK attacks at the loft and training we are finished with the pigeons. The weekend there was our last race. We were thinking about it for a while but when our birds got up at Otterburn on Sat our convoyer called us to say 2 hawks went for the birds a soon as they got out. This just adds to the injured bird that we are having to put down due to being burst or broken wing, broken keels. This was not easy to put on here as i have been in the pigeon game from the 70s. Just spent the afternoon calling all the fanciers that we were lucky to exchange birds or be gifted birds from some of the top pigeon men in the UK to offer them their birds back. Not been a good day as you can see.

All the best JAS.

Guest 67ghirl

Really Sorry to hear this John, we know what a tough decision it must have been for you, as they say Pigeons are in the Blood :(

Eggy & Angela.

sorry to hear this. we can ill afford to lose guys of your calibre. i can understand your feelings as i have had birds home with feathers missing almost every week this season as well as losing several good pigeons. please do not be too hasty in giving up as it has been your life for 30+ years

Sorry to hear your given up John, i'v know you lads a few years now and its a sad day for me too,Stewart Bros have had great results in the past at club,fed and snfc level and its sad day that BOP have forced you lads out of the game,i wish you lads well in the future, keep in touch mate.

Guest Gareth Rankin

Sorry to hear of this John, do hope you reconsider.

If only pigeon fanciers from all over the uk would get of their arses and deal with the BOP, if they dont then the pigeon sport is going to be decimated by droves of fanciers leaving.

Hi after a couple of weeks of HAWK attacks at the loft and training we are finished with the pigeons. The weekend there was our last race. We were thinking about it for a while but when our birds got up at Otterburn on Sat our convoyer called us to say 2 hawks went for the birds a soon as they got out. This just adds to the injured bird that we are having to put down due to being burst or broken wing, broken keels. This was not easy to put on here as i have been in the pigeon game from the 70s. Just spent the afternoon calling all the fanciers that we were lucky to exchange birds or be gifted birds from some of the top pigeon men in the UK to offer them their birds back. Not been a good day as you can see.

All the best JAS.

Sorry to hear this John but I can fully understand your decision.You are not the only ones thinking of throwing in the towel because of the BOP problem.We all sit back and talk about the devastation the hawks are causing and yet we do nothing to protect the hobby we dearly love. I say this to all fanciers, " If we dont act now then we wont have a pigeon sport in 3 years time " I have heard from folk saying it is now part of the sport and we have to put up with it,well I say, let it be part of the sport that we do something to protect our livestock.The BOP population is quadrupling every year because of our mentality . Let it be an unwritten rule that we must do our very best to save and protect our sport. How do we do that ? Everybody just concentrate on their own area and we will have the problem sorted in no time.We all know how to do that, so get off yer arses and FIX it now.

Guest joshdonlan

Sorry to hear this, but why dont you do something about your problem? If we all stopped moaning and talking with our actions the problem would be 50 % sorted :unsure:

Sorry to hear this John but I can fully understand your decision.You are not the only ones thinking of throwing in the towel because of the BOP problem.We all sit back and talk about the devastation the hawks are causing and yet we do nothing to protect the hobby we dearly love. I say this to all fanciers, " If we dont act now then we wont have a pigeon sport in 3 years time " I have heard from folk saying it is now part of the sport and we have to put up with it,well I say, let it be part of the sport that we do something to protect our livestock.The BOP population is quadrupling every year because of our mentality . Let it be an unwritten rule that we must do our very best to save and protect our sport. How do we do that ? Everybody just concentrate on their own area and we will have the problem sorted in no time.We all know how to do that, so get off yer arses and FIX it now.

ur right lets get 2 grip with it, ;)

Guest lenwadebob

I agree. The RSPB have given licence to themselves to interfere with nature, and GET IT WRONG. Let us all help them rectify the problems they have caused by protecting our birds, by using our own licence ;)

If we all deal with own area then the problem will disappear very quickly.This should be a yearly act,not a one off thing,because they will keep coming back.If we protect our sport then the RSPB will sit up and take notice and then , maybe will be willing to compromise a little.

All the best JAS.

sorry to hear this lads as i know how much time and effort you have put into your winning birds,good luck for the future. <_< <_< <_< <_<

All the best JAS.

sorry to here that m8 but have ye been doing owt aboot it :o

Well I was going to pack up last August / September after one thing or another for the 4 - 5 years of S**t I'd had before, then losing nigh all my y/b's. Went Cozemel - Mexico and thought long and hard. Yep thought I'd get shot of.... Maybe a few Tipplers / Tumblers and rollers.

Came home and the first thing I did was spend 3 hours or so cleaning out the loft etc.

Missis says 'You aint packing up'! Guess not. Yep have brought in extensively and and had 2 races... First week pretty good, last week, ET didn't work as I only took the Clock and not the Pocket piece... so my mistake.... Just as well, was way way down and was the best time to have that learning curve eh!

So a break is as good as a rest and my problems weren't nothing to do with B.O.P. Etc. They have cleared off from this area it appears again. Yes did start getting to be a nuisance, but gone now.

So get them sorted and enjoy.