Rpra Hawkwatch

Guest Thunder Birds

too many hawks here at the moment :angry: ,every day Im finding feathers of baby sparrows and blackbirds. I have tried putting holographic tape in the trees to scare them off. We have late young birds so I hope that the hawks go before the young birds are let out.

• 1 month later...

fxckxng things are a nuisance if they aint going after my birds around my loft in my back garden in the evenings then they are after the wild birds at first light sometimes they will grab a starling outside my front bedroom window but the starlings make a racket so it wakes me and i can usually get out in time to save them as the s/hawk takes off as soon as i open my front door :angry: i cant believe that its got this bad within the last 2 years as it seems that one minute i was reading about bop attacks in the rp/bhw and the next thing its happening to me :angry: i think its now got to the stage where all fanciers have been hit by a bop attack whether u live in the country or in the city and if u havnt it will only be a matter of time :angry: kev

after having a look at the r.p.r.a map i think that something like hawk attacks should be monitored by all the homing unions. so as we have a better view of the attacks. looking at the map it is like all attacks are way down south. that said it won,t count for nowt as it will be looked upon by the r.s.p.b as pigeon fanciers putting the boot in to b.o.p. even if attacks were registered all over the country they will not do anything to prevent them.with birds of prey going unchecked for years .the r.s.p.b think that they will find a level over the country and stay at it. WRONG we have all seen in resent years how each year we have more birds attacked by bops it will only increase if bops remain unchecked .it is not only the bird that is attacked that suffers but 30 to 40 % of the batch it was in. with birds flying for their lives .

after having a look at the r.p.r.a map i think that something like hawk attacks should be monitored by all the homing unions. so as we have a better view of the attacks. looking at the map it is like all attacks are way down south. that said it won,t count for nowt as it will be looked upon by the r.s.p.b as pigeon fanciers putting the boot in to b.o.p. even if attacks were registered all over the country they will not do anything to prevent them.with birds of prey going unchecked for years .the r.s.p.b think that they will find a level over the country and stay at it. WRONG we have all seen in resent years how each year we have more birds attacked by bops it will only increase if bops remain unchecked .it is not only the bird that is attacked that suffers but 30 to 40 % of the batch it was in. with birds flying for their lives .

theres a 1000% more peregrines than they are admitting to ,

there rearing 5 in a nest now fed on prime racing pigeon /

tootal wipe oot required noo

Guest bigda

if i was to ask, one thing of the queen should i ever meet her again,

it would be to ask her to make racing pigeons protected, and carry a 5 year jail sentence if a racing pigeon with a ring on its leg was killed and not reported

you might say thats hard i would say no

kill a doo report it. let the people know

who belong to it, the bird has the same identification as a cat, or a dog, or a greyhound, or horse, it is registered and that must count for something that cant be challenged as should a peregrine get killed, and has a ring on its leg you will

be brought to book, and should we ask this, the RSPB would not be able to challenge it in court, not if they say they are to protect all birds :)

what i mean by this is should there be a nest that is watched by a web cam or telescope

and some of those cameras bring in close a ring number and it can be read all we are asking just now that the site sponcers or foster parents tell our union

and be made to report all killed rung birds the rings that are in the nest and around about it i know they tidy the nests up so it should be no problem to do it :)

what do u mean when u say im allowing it roland? :angry: ive tried everything including plastic owls,eagle eyes,put netting up,played tapes of eagle owls etc, and ive tried things that i wont go into but the fxcking things come out of nowhere and are gone before ive had the chance to do anything about it permanently, feel free to enlighten me roland so i can solve my problem along with other fanciers who also allow it to happen :angry: kevin (kev01293)+ debbie

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mikkey

lol im another fancier who also allows it to happen. how am i supposed to stop a peregrine pushing my kit hundreds of feet into the clouds then splitting them, then picking one out chasing it down and carrying it off at around 200 ft. then also having a sparrowhawk taking birds out of the air. if these bops want your birds their gonna get em....the only good remedies are illegal....

lol im another fancier who also allows it to happen. how am i supposed to stop a peregrine pushing my kit hundreds of feet into the clouds then splitting them, then picking one out chasing it down and carrying it off at around 200 ft. then also having a sparrowhawk taking birds out of the air. if these bops want your birds their gonna get em....the only good remedies are illegal....

Yep :D

Guest bristolkev

after collecting one my youngsters from janet wilcox the other week she mentioned the sparrowhawk taking her birds everyday at the begining of the year.so they bought 2 sparkley disco glitter balls since they done this they have not had one attack....so maybe an idea guys.

Guest mikkey

a lot of flyers have their birds taken off the lofts roofs and from the garden but ive never had a bird taken like this, its always been an aerial attack and my loft is very close to the trees(left, right and back with a big open expanse at the front)which seems strange to me because i thought sparrowhawks were more surprise attack birds, maybe its the open space at the front that the hawks dont like..??

a lot of flyers have their birds taken off the lofts roofs and from the garden but ive never had a bird taken like this, its always been an aerial attack and my loft is very close to the trees(left, right and back with a big open expanse at the front)which seems strange to me because i thought sparrowhawks were more surprise attack birds, maybe its the open space at the front that the hawks dont like..??

I think you might have a Goshawk there, very similar to s/hawk but bigger, will catch in the air and carry off, unlike the s/hawk. I think this is the worst BOP of them all :(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gareth Rankin

after collecting one my youngsters from janet wilcox the other week she mentioned the sparrowhawk taking her birds everyday at the begining of the year.so they bought 2 sparkley disco glitter balls since they done this they have not had one attack....so maybe an idea guys.

Friday night is disco night, interesting Kev and might be worth ago.

to be fair i think this hawk watch is a load of rubbish what they going to do hand it in end of year to show rspb the damage thats been happening as there laugh at them rspb got the sport huck line and sinker the only ways is your own ways as wait for anythink to change you be haveing empty lofts each year how many times have you got to run the gautlet before it sinks in what ever proof evidence it aint going to make one iota in the end there not interested one iota wont a change get somethink done about it your self how many birds have you go to keep breeding each year to keep feeding pobs before it sinks in

im suprised there non noted on that map from nuneaton,bedworth,coventry,atherstone area as pairs of pergrines all over there no a good few flyers that have had high loses they thought it was bad last year more than double the losses this year so whats next year going to be like they just keep breeding more and more each year but will end up with batter bits before they get anythink into a race talking to flyers thats been in sport donkeys years when they was round ours looking at our birds lofts and so on they said years ago son i could breed 20to 25 birds and train them hammer them down road morning night send them the full programme and still have a good amount of them still in loft after the full programme now day people are looseing half there team training alot of loses first race by the time the birds have had 2 to 3 races there haveing to stop them as there dropping like flys if they keep them going there have nothink for next year.

• 10 months later...
Guest Reeco Jnr

Watched 4 yes 4 peregrines last weekend having a practice run on a kit of 5 tumblers in Morriston Swansea a cock, hen and two young uns and all week a different pair has hit sh** out of our young uns lucky enough they missed on 3 occasions, there are about 5 or 6 pairs of these in about a 15 mile radius of our loft so much for having a territory of a few miles, there are so many they are practically moving in with each other!!

I started training about 4 weeks ago with 30 youngsters and am now down to 16, they come home in ones and twos every time, between me and another fancier we loose 2 or 3 every toss. It does not matter where we take them they have to run the gantlet to get home, the place is crawling with BOPs.