Pedigree..TRUTH or FICTION

oldguy

When a pedigree is offered with a bird how many take it as being the real details of a birds bloodline, afterall what proof is there that the details are correct

without using DNA testing can you be sure the youngster or adult, and the pedigree actually match and haven't been, shall we say wrote with a little poetic licence

kev

I think that your observations are spot on.   At the end of the day, a pedigree is only as good as the integrity of the person who completes it.  I rarely buy from someone I don't know, or someone I haven't met  (and made my own  judgement).  Even so, who's to say that unless the bird purchased has been reared in a single flight environment, there always has to be some doubt in respect of the sire.  I think that too many fanciers when buying pigeons take too much for granted, and on trust.  I would bet my last penny that on more than one occassion a pedigree for an expensive pigeon does not properly reflect parentage.

being new to  pigeons , you look about at the sales list see all these names of this pigeon that pigeon does nt  mean lot to a new boy like me , & with so many people just buying birds so sell on do ever know  ??)

I think it's fare to assume etc, that most of us take an interest in pedigrees. One could say. "But then" some of us learn real quick  ;D ;D ;D which part of our anatomy (Especially if you have an outhouse) to use them on. if the birds are no damm good  ;) ;) ;).

Enjoy

Guest spin cycle

agree that pedigrees can be just 'windowdressing'. but i went to a clearence sale and birds with pedigrees made 2-3 times more than those that didn't. i think, in life in general,we are obsessed with 'brands' (whether it's trainers or pigeons) and we seek reassurance via pedigrees that the money we spend is not wasted.my experience is that you are more likely to waste money on them. more importantly you waste time/effort trying to make them a succsess overlooking the good birds you allready have

well just like breeding my dogs i like to know the lines dont like to breed to close.

If i was buying birds in for breeding off then i would want to know what they were from yes but if they are just for racing then i dont really bother at all how they are bred just as long as they are from a good loft that is winning more than it's share.presonally i never look to see what my own y/b's are bred off until it is the close season after the racing has finished and i'm doing my selections on what will stay and what will go

Alan

If i was buying birds in for breeding off then i would want to know what they were from yes but if they are just for racing then i dont really bother at all how they are bred just as long as they are from a good loft that is winning more than it's share.presonally i never look to see what my own y/b's are bred off until it is the close season after the racing has finished and i'm doing my selections on what will stay and what will go

Alan

Would you go back to the breeder for a pedigree though if one or two of the youngsters bought in for racing did really well for you?

A pedigree is only a summary of a bird's breeding, extracted from a pigeon fancier's breeding records.

All pigeon fanciers keep breeding records. So surely all of the comments here apply to all pigeon fancier's breeding records? The details are either right or wrong, but nobody surely deliberately records wrong details.

Only as good as the person is honest. If you have a report with someone, and you feel right about them, that they care and want you to do well, that a kind of kinship, that they have a good reputation, then surely it is a good bet ... if not stick to your own whim and a prayer

Remember you are only investing in 'Genes / blood, not the seller or his reputation ... and there are very few good stockmen about in reality, though many will give you all the help / advice and generally well being. ... likewise some are just shysters as in any walk of life.

So if you like each other - or respect, then buy, if not spend the quiddies on good feed and training. - and wait till you do.

I am with you Alf i dont look at my youngbird records until after young bird racing this way that one out the expensive stock pair does not get preferetial treatment over one from my race team.

I've read the above a few times (about not looking at your young birds breading). The thing is when i move them over i know what they are off and don't forget.

Would you go back to the breeder for a pedigree though if one or two of the youngsters bought in for racing did really well for you?

Well i done really well last year with some y/b's that i got in or bred off doos i had a loan of and have never went back for a pedigree no but i have found out how they were bred since (not ring numbers or anything like that just heard that they were bred from this or that over the phone or through pm ) ;)

karl,

look at some oen who is doing well at what ever distance you are looking to race at. Get their number have some rum and ring them up. Make a little list of some questions you would like to ask. That way you get over the nerves of cold calling. If they sound like nice reliable people ask if you can have a look at their birds. Make a visit and don't be too pushy about buying but ask if they sell when and how much?

It may not be possible to get to someone in your local club area. They are trying to beat you so think outside the box.

I often drive an hour to see my buddies and some I have yet to meet, only ever spoken on the phone, Amtracked them to me, the birds etc.

Guest karl adams

i was thinking on the lines of what a bird has done and not what the bird is.   as prize cards tell me what that bird has done  and a pedigree can be made out to what ever you want a bird to be  i think pedigrees are not worth a lite

karl,

look at some oen who is doing well at what ever distance you are looking to race at. Get their number have some rum and ring them up. Make a little list of some questions you would like to ask. That way you get over the nerves of cold calling. If they sound like nice reliable people ask if you can have a look at their birds. Make a visit and don't be too pushy about buying but ask if they sell when and how much?

It may not be possible to get to someone in your local club area. They are trying to beat you so think outside the box.

I often drive an hour to see my buddies and some I have yet to meet, only ever spoken on the phone, Amtracked them to me, the birds etc.

Excellent advice about writing down a few questions to get over any nerves.