Pigeon in my kitchen!

invalidusername

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Going, Young man. many of us, thought the pigeon was a goner,  when you showed the first pictures. Iv'e tried to save pigeons in similar condition throughout the years with litttle success, which was the reason why, I tried the opposite in your case. There is nothing worse than building hope up, only to be let down. Haven't we all been through this agonising procedure?  It's all very well for some young ones to comment about old farts, But, time flies so quickly, like, stink!  ;D You will soon experience it. ;)  

He looks like he is over the worst of it but still looks under weight. Once the muscles have been eaten away by the bird when he was not eating, happens often  with extreme racing it is never replaced.

Do not expect him to return to his former glory but he looks fine and needs a companion in the form of a bird.

You talk cr*p  >:(

Guest chrisss
Good Going, Young man. many of us, thought the pigeon was a goner,  when you showed the first pictures. Iv'e tried to save pigeons in similar condition throughout the years with litttle success, which was the reason why, I tried the opposite in your case. There is nothing worse than building hope up, only to be let down. Haven't we all been through this agonising procedure?  It's all very well for some young ones to comment about old farts, But, time flies so quickly, like, stink!  ;D You will soon experience it. ;)  

you see folks thats style, its all turning out very well ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Vic - just saw your post.  Now, this sort of language with a word of warning would have been very nice in the first place - particularly to a complete novice like me.  Despite mainly positive encouragement from people here - when someone who has a wealth of experience like yourself says something fairly blunt, you tend to go with that, and almost convince yourself that you're onto a loser.  Almost... but I never really doubted he'd recover.  Call it blind optimism, of you like.  I'm not a youngster, so I know the world isn't a totally rosy place, but I do give 100% for something I believe in.

It means a lot that someone with your experience can see that he's getting better, and that he's not 'a gonna'   Many thanks  :)

A big Well Done David, and same to all who gave him the support when he most needed it. Glad to see things are on the up-and-up.

Must admit not seeing what others seemed to see in the early pic. I saw a pigeon that was basically clean and still had a bit of shine to it. Certainly didn't see it ill or anywhere near death.

Quickie update:  He's getting skittish, and I'm going to put him and his house in the garden either over the weekend, or early next week.  I gave him his tablet and put him on the kitchen floor and left the room for a few minutes.  When I returned, he'd flown onto the kitchen table, and was about to take off again when I got hold of him.  He's stretching wings and preening himself.  His feathers are a lot tighter  :)

The strict routine so that he knows what's what starts in earnest - so it's now the next phase - and a learning curve for me.

Quickie update:  He's getting skittish, and I'm going to put him and his house in the garden either over the weekend, or early next week.  I gave him his tablet and put him on the kitchen floor and left the room for a few minutes.  When I returned, he'd flown onto the kitchen table, and was about to take off again when I got hold of him.  He's stretching wings and preening himself.  His feathers are a lot tighter  :)

The strict routine so that he knows what's what starts in earnest - so it's now the next phase - and a learning curve for me.

Sounds like he's ready for a flight to me, best get him settled to his loft, I suggest getting him a hen bird & get him on eggs before trying him out.

hows the little man doing ?

Just great, thanks!  He's eating, drinking and looking really well.  Feeding him up as he needs to add weight, but he's totally alert now, and really keen to fly (in fact he flies around the room and can be a bit of a handful).  I'm currently looking around for an affordable shed I can convert into a loft for him.  The hutch will have to do for the time being.

I think we can mark this down as a success story  :);)  

Great news to hear. Well done.

Human grade redskin peanuts are great for fattening up.  Not too many!  Get him used to them and he'll regard them as a treat, will come to you when you call him for them. ;)

Cool.  I give him about 5-6 a day, but they go into quarters, as whole ones are a bit much for him to handle.  He loves 'em  ;)  He's all over the hutch when it's his feed time.  He bobs around all over the place - neck stretched high.  It's great to see  :)

Cool.  I give him about 5-6 a day, but they go into quarters, as whole ones are a bit much for him to handle.  He loves 'em  ;)  He's all over the hutch when it's his feed time.  He bobs around all over the place - neck stretched high.  It's great to see  :)

IVU !!!!!!! You should feel very proud for what you have done for our little mate  ;) ;) ;) here. He is a very lucky little fellow  ;D ;D ;D to have found you in my opinion  :) :) :) & one, also could imagine etc  :P :P :P there may be one or two here ????????? that would not have been so kind  :P :P :P.

Enjoy.

IVU !!!!!!! You should feel very proud for what you have done for our little mate  ;) ;) ;) here. He is a very lucky little fellow  ;D ;D ;D to have found you in my opinion  :) :) :) & one, also could imagine etc  :P :P :P there may be one or two here ????????? that would not have been so kind  :P :P :P.

Enjoy.

Well, I don't know about that, but I appreciate your comments.  I'm chuffed that he's well.  I was late for work this morning, as he was flying around the kitchen, and I couldn't catch him  ::)  :D :D It's made focus on getting a proper space for him outside  :)  Cheers.

has he been allowed to fly outside yet David?

Hi!!  No, not yet, as he only just finished all his medication, and I've been trying to get something suitable for him to go outside in (ie something high enough to place the hutch on, as I have no wall space - it's either that or a shed, which is going to take me a couple of weeks to sort/pay for).  But I'm aware that every day he's not in his outside space is a day less getting used to being out there, etc.  Don't know what you suggest, but was planning on an outside flight on the weekend, when I'm there all day to monitor him and his return.  IF he returns  :o

Am really wanting to get a shed sorted though.  Wish I could just get one up in an hour  :D :D

If he's going to go, he's going to go! If you can get a shed then great he should settle to that without a prob. Imthink now after this period of time he has bonded with you and if he goes out and you call him he is likely to come to you for food etc, especialy if you use the peanuts as a treat.

I wouldn't rush to get him an adult hen as that would have to be kept in. If you are able to get a shed than I would have a couple of youngbirds that will settle easily.

Phil

If he's going to go, he's going to go! If you can get a shed then great he should settle to that without a prob. Imthink now after this period of time he has bonded with you and if he goes out and you call him he is likely to come to you for food etc, especialy if you use the peanuts as a treat.

I wouldn't rush to get him an adult hen as that would have to be kept in. If you are able to get a shed than I would have a couple of youngbirds that will settle easily.

Phil

Phil - as ever, thanks for the advice  :)