Pigeon in my kitchen!

invalidusername

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he still is not right now I would seriously consider what it is you want for the bird, not your own needs but the birds?

If it were mine that was shown in the photos earlier I would have done the honorable thing then. Old age is something us humans inflict on each other and our pets. It is not how nature does it.

Sorry for being blunt.

Please do not presume that my needs are any greater than this bird's.  4 years is not necessarily old age in the pigeon world - particularly if I'm more interested in the quality of its life rather than the quality of its racing potential.  To kill a bird that has a chance of a good recovery is not, in my view, and honourable thing to do.

Guest chrisss

Please do not presume that my needs are any greater than this bird's.  4 years is not necessarily old age in the pigeon world - particularly if I'm more interested in the quality of its life rather than the quality of its racing potential.  To kill a bird that has a chance of a good recovery is not, in my view, and honourable thing to do.

bloody right  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

These are indeed the sentiments of a caring human being,and there are many that are capable of learning from it,Well done David,and hopefully its full recovery is soonner rather than later.

whats the update how is he

Hi  :)  He's eating really well, and drinking too - doesn't require any coaxing.  He's on two feeds a day.  His droppings this morning looked much better - hardly any green in there, and not slimy.  Has the odd 'loose stool' but hardly anything.  He went into the garden yesterday (in the guinea pigs' run - the GPs weren't in there at the time  ;)), and he loved the sun.  He was trying to get out at first, and I'm sure he'd have flown off if I'd let him go.  I'm going to finish his medication before moving him outside, and training him to know that's his new place.  With any luck he'll come back when I finally let him out  :o

I'm very positive  :)

A cat's litter tray makes a good bath for one pij. A crushed garlic clove in the bath water will help to get rid of any feather lice on him.

Let him have a few days outside confined to his 'loft' before you release him. Even better if you could put his loft in the guinea pig run so he can go in and out of it and always put his food in his 'loft'.

Sue ;)

Good to hear that your pigeon is making a recovery, you should be proud of yourself for what you have done for the fellow  ;)

Any chance of posting another photo up of him to see what he is looking like now.

Thanks for that  :)  I will get the phone out for another update pic, ASAP.  

A cat's litter tray makes a good bath for one pij. A crushed garlic clove in the bath water will help to get rid of any feather lice on him.

Let him have a few days outside confined to his 'loft' before you release him. Even better if you could put his loft in the guinea pig run so he can go in and out of it and always put his food in his 'loft'.

Sue ;)

I had a go with a bath yesterday (even put garlic in), but he just walked through it, and wasn't too interested in the splash.  Having said that, it was indoors.  At least he's got clean feet  ;) I ended splashing him  :o

if you've seen the size of the hutch Sue it will need to be a rather big run!

:D :D :D ;D That made me laugh.  Yep, it IS a fairly big hutch (probably more chance of fitting the run in the hutch rather than the other way round. lol).

David I am glad your pigeon seems to be doing well but I know what the likely outcome will be, sorry.

4 years for a feral bird is very old. Research states that 18 months is the average age of feral homing type birds.

If he has been so down then I suspect he will walk around his run and never really fly again.

Lets see some more pics if you got them?

David I am glad your pigeon seems to be doing well but I know what the likely outcome will be, sorry.

4 years for a feral bird is very old. Research states that 18 months is the average age of feral homing type birds.

If he has been so down then I suspect he will walk around his run and never really fly again.

Lets see some more pics if you got them?

You're amazing being able to look into the future, as you say you know what the outcome will be.  Use these amazing powers to tell me the winning lottery numbers on Wednesday or Saturday, and I'll believe you.This bird hasn't been feral for 4 years.  You may suspect he'll only walk around his run and never really fly again, but you are totally wrong there.    

David you are obviously up for a fight or something. I recall now he has been knocking around your garden for 2 years and he is 4 years old.

Knocking about in your garden sometimes there sometimes not is this not feral or did he keep going back to Irelend.

I can not see into the future but experience gives one an idea just like a mechanic can tell you what is wrong with your car without sometimes looking at it, good ones that is.

Have you got some pics of him now? I do really hope I am wrong.

I do actualy wonder if he becomes 100% fit if he'll return home to Ireland, don't be suprised David if he does!

Pigeons never fail to amaze, we have had birds return after 2 and 3 yrs away!

Phil

yes your right phil, the pigeons never cease to amaze all, but the bird in question here is a 4 year old been there for 4 years , what he needs now, is a mate ;D [apart from you david ;D] when paired, hell never leave :)