Pigeon in my kitchen!

invalidusername

vallance, yes there is a lot of genuine interest and i'm sure the majority of use would give the same help to a non fancier if they wern't on a forum.

I know, by a few posts by a minority that not everybody would help, but thats life!

Phil

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chrisss

Have to agree with you Phil, the minority will of course be the first in there hour of need to ask though !

the shame appers to be the minority who help in the hour of need are always the same guys in all walks of life ;D ;D ;D ;D

Im hoping David will come over the club on a friday and get involved a little.

:P :P :P Careful in what you do their Swilcox "Re club" we wouldn't want to loose our wee pigeon & it's owner here  ;D ;D ;D. So I just hope now ????? you don't have any of them grumpy old men in your club etc.

PS, Many of us appreciate here, the help that you have given. To our little  mate  ;) ;) ;).

Enjoy.

Now surely if this pigeon pulls through which appears to be promising it deserves the honour of being 'Forum Mascot' after all it seems there has been a lot of interest in its condition.

I'm still amazed and grateful for all of the interest 'my' little bird has created!  "Forum Mascot"?  That's the coolest thing - a really nice thought  :D

vallance, yes there is a lot of genuine interest and i'm sure the majority of use would give the same help to a non fancier if they wern't on a forum.

I know, by a few posts by a minority that not everybody would help, but thats life!

Phil

Phil, I was totally ignorant (still am) in the 'care and maintenance' of pigeons, particularly when in a sorry state as this one was.  My immediate thought was to get on the net and see if there were any forums around.  I found this one first, and can't believe my luck.  When you're this keen to help a bird that means a lot to you - you value any advice, tips and support you can get.  You ignore or try to put other things to one side.  But my overwhelming feeling about this whole forum is a positive one.  I've had so many great pieces of advice on the forum, and loads of PMs.  I've had personal help from a number of members (totally with no acceptance of any sort of payment, I should add) - because they're kind, helpful people who are happy to help.

People who have shown an interest in this one stray pigeon - the help they've given me are excellent ambassadors for their sport/hobby.

Not out of the woods yet, but getting there (and definitely another pigeon fan)  :)

We're not a bad lot on the whole, despite what you may have heard!

To be honest, I've never heard that much.  I knew hardly anything about the pigeon world, but even over the course of a week, I've learnt a lot.  Different, of course to actually keeping a number of birds - and mine is in a totally artificial environment (eg -in my kitchen!).  You don't need huge numbers of ambassadors in a sport - just a few really good ones.  I think there are certainly more than a few in the pigeon fancying world.

!

I'm going to contact the owner, as referred to above.  But am a bit scared, as I want to 'keep' him here.  I live in the South West of England.  At the end of the day though, I have to speak to the owner and I guess it's up to them.    

im quite sure when the owner hears of your story hell let you keep the bird , transfer the bird, then hes officially yours ,, explain the story and the postings on this forum  :)   good luck :)

just read the whole story,, fantastic,, sounds as though the bird is improving ok, [good to hear the bird is yours officially :)] a big thanks to stu willcox , it will be great to hear that the bird is back to his old self and paired to one of his champion hens , lets hope theres a great happy ending to this story [sounds good up to now] its one we will  certainly never forget on  this forum , kindness and passion from all [well nearly all ;D] well done to david [invalid] and stu willcox  :) :) :)   [youll have to get a name for him now  david  :),hes now quite a famous pigeon :)

just read the whole story,, fantastic,, sounds as though the bird is improving ok, [good to hear the bird is yours officially :)] a big thanks to stu willcox , it will be great to hear that the bird is back to his old self and paired to one of his champion hens , lets hope theres a great happy ending to this story [sounds good up to now] its one we will  certainly never forget on  this forum , kindness and passion from all [well nearly all ;D] well done to david [invalid] and stu willcox  :) :) :)   [youll have to get a name for him now  david  :),hes now quite a famous pigeon :)

Wouldn't be an absolute cracker !!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D for our sport etc, if our little kitchen pigeon here, when mated to one of Swilcox's champions  ;) (We don't want any rubbish for a mate now) Bred 1 or 2 champions, down the track. Many of us would celebrate I imagine  ::) ::) ::) with the odd ale or 2.

PS. Amazing isn't  :P :P :P if this keeps going ?????? here, we will overtake  :D :D :D our eyesign man.

Enjoy.

When you talk about being good ambassadors David, you say the sport only needs a few, unfortunatly thats not the case due to the nature of the sport.

We all need to be ambassadors escpecialy when dealing with the public and non fanciers.

The sport has a poor image due in the main to ferral pigeons walking the streets and occupying our towns making a mess. To the majority of the public they are racing pigeons so when somebody mentions pigeons to them that is the 1st image they get!

Its not until the public get to see our lofts and the birds within them that they realise what they see on the street is far from what we actualy do.

So as I say we all need to be ambassadors as it only takes a few to spoil a lot of hard work put in by many!

Phil

When you talk about being good ambassadors David, you say the sport only needs a few, unfortunatly thats not the case due to the nature of the sport.

We all need to be ambassadors escpecialy when dealing with the public and non fanciers.

The sport has a poor image due in the main to ferral pigeons walking the streets and occupying our towns making a mess. To the majority of the public they are racing pigeons so when somebody mentions pigeons to them that is the 1st image they get!

Its not until the public get to see our lofts and the birds within them that they realise what they see on the street is far from what we actualy do.

So as I say we all need to be ambassadors as it only takes a few to spoil a lot of hard work put in by many!

Phil

couldn`t agree more with those words of wisdom !!!

There are to many in the sport for the money and have forgotten about the grass roots.

When they get into sell sell sell every thing they breed has a price and helping promote the sport goes out the window. (not all but many)

I relate it to many years ago when I started doing a lot of photography, I had always carried a camera with me but when most of my pictures were being taken for others then every frame had a value. When this happened I stopped carrying my camera and taking pictures for pleasure.

I have only fairly recently started to carry my camera again for pleasure, sad realy I know but shows how money effects the brain!

Phil

Well, it's a week today that the pigeon came into my care, and I won't pretend that he's out of the woods.  Sometimes he still looks quite poorly, but other times he's pretty active, alert and flaps around.  He regurgitated some food last night - there were a few seeds by him - and a peanut, which has concerned me.  He often appears quite docile in the 'hutch', but when he comes out, he's all over the place pecking around.  So I don't want to raise any hopes too much (mine included!)

Anyway, here's a pic of my lodger, taken lunchtime yesterday  :)

he may have regurgitated because he has gorged himself or could be something to do with the medication he's on.

Are you still giving him tonic inthe water?

Morning!  I stopped giving him that after the first day, as he wasn't looking too keen on it!  I did put a little cider vinegar in his water this morning though.  Not sure whether I should have stuck with the tonic though?

The cider vinigar as long as its organic will help with acid but the other thing to help provide beneficial gut flora is to provide a probiotic.

This will certainly not do him any harm.

One word of advice though, before you give him anything other than food and water is check with Stuart as you don't want to provide anything that may effect the tablets you are giving him.

Phil

Hey, to my inexperienced eye he looks a tad better - his wattle is more white and, does he look less puffed up? I think so.

Did Stu tell you how to give the yoghurt?  I put a teaspoon in with the seed, mix it up and then give it to mine.  They actually make less mess as they can't toss it around!

What do you think to naming him after his rescuer?...'Invalid'

Hey, to my inexperienced eye he looks a tad better - his wattle is more white and, does he look less puffed up? I think so.

Did Stu tell you how to give the yoghurt?  I put a teaspoon in with the seed, mix it up and then give it to mine.  They actually make less mess as they can't toss it around!

What do you think to naming him after his rescuer?...'Invalid'

He puffs up more in his cage, but he might be sulking in there  :-/  Certainly looks flatter when he's out and about in the kitchen.

Hey, I was all set to syringe it down his throat  :o I'll try the way you said  ;)

David

From the photograph, I think he is starting to look 'brighter' certainly much better than the other day.

Keep up the good work, I think he will be fine with the care that you are giving him.

We had a young bird last year that we lost at the first race - he was reported about 4 days after the race about 6-7 miles from our loft at a haulage company, when I collected him, I didn't think he would last the night, he was that run down and dehydrated, we had to literally feed him and put water down his throat he was that bad - after a week of doing this he slowly started to come round - after starting to fend for himself he very quickly started to pick up - after a few weeks he was exercising again and we even managed to get him to a race of about 100 miles at the end of the season - he had a lovely moult and has shown no bad effects since - I am sure he will pay us back ine day  ;)

Just out of interest, how are the pigeon's droppings looking now?