Pigeon in my kitchen!

invalidusername

It looks as though is feathers are sitting a bit tighter but not as tight as they should but it is still a good sign, I hate it when I see a pigeon with it feathers loose & especially just above the wattle ......but your Bhoy Blue (that'll get the Rangers fans upset) is looking better by the day, mind you I reckon he has the male equivilent of Florence Nightingale looking after him...well dome Invalid...your really need to get onto the webmaster to change that user name  :):D

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the photograph, I think he is starting to look 'brighter' certainly much better than the other day.

Keep up the good work, I think he will be fine with the care that you are giving him.

We had a young bird last year that we lost at the first race - he was reported about 4 days after the race about 6-7 miles from our loft at a haulage company, when I collected him, I didn't think he would last the night, he was that run down and dehydrated, we had to literally feed him and put water down his throat he was that bad - after a week of doing this he slowly started to come round - after starting to fend for himself he very quickly started to pick up - after a few weeks he was exercising again and we even managed to get him to a race of about 100 miles at the end of the season - he had a lovely moult and has shown no bad effects since - I am sure he will pay us back ine day  ;)

Just out of interest, how are the pigeon's droppings looking now?

That's a nice story  :)

His droppings are hard to describe really.  They've firmed up (they were slimy and clear then greenish before) and now are a bit more sludgy to thick.  There's a bit of watery stuff around them too.  REDCHEQHEN (Susan) has kindly looked at a sample through a microscope and has had me matching poo samples to try to refine it down.  She's made a supreme effort for me.

If you've had the pigeon on cider vinegar, and he has responded to it, the other 'natural' which will be of benefit is garlic, which is a catch-all. It will see off some of the nastier things and give the birds immune system a bit of a pep too.

Bulb, Organic if you can get it, pull off a clove, peel it, and crush it  into the birds drinking water, mash and all. (lo-tech method if you don't have a garlic crusher - squash the clove between two spoons, and remember to dip the spoons in the water too)

Change water daily and keep the fresh garlic and fresh water going for at least 7 days. And if you can, save the old water and put it into a deep tray and let the bird bathe in it - it is also an insecticide, if the bird is carrying anything, this will kill it too.

If you've had the pigeon on cider vinegar, and he has responded to it, the other 'natural' which will be of benefit is garlic, which is a catch-all. It will see off some of the nastier things and give the birds immune system a bit of a pep too.

Bulb, Organic if you can get it, pull off a clove, peel it, and crush it  into the birds drinking water, mash and all. (lo-tech method if you don't have a garlic crusher - squash the clove between two spoons, and remember to dip the spoons in the water too)

Change water daily and keep the fresh garlic and fresh water going for at least 7 days. And if you can, save the old water and put it into a deep tray and let the bird bathe in it - it is also an insecticide, if the bird is carrying anything, this will kill it too.

Many thanks for the tip there  ;) He's just eating his food with a teaspoon of bio yoghurt mixed in.  I rattled some bottles together just before feeding him - I think the neighbours think I've been attacked  :o

Have just had a bit of a struggle with the little darling.  He's been trying to fly out of the door (which was closed), and I got to him in time to make sure he didn't hit himself.  Normally the wooden blinds are down, so although he looks through it, he doesn't attempt anything.  He also tried to fly back into his hutch as I had the top off.  I think this demonstrates he's got a lot more energy, but also means I have to keep on my toes  :D  I think he's desperate for a fly out  :o

Sorry, forgot about the live natural yoghurt. I've found in the past that 3 consecutve days is the maximum you can feed this; any more and the droppings will become loose - don't know why, just that they do - so limit it to 3 days max.

Other thing: garlic is reckoned to kill some strains of probiotic bacteria - again, don't know what it kills and what it doesn't. Advice I have from the company that produces Flightpath, a pigeon probiotic, is to make sure you leave 48 hours between your last day of garlic, and your first day of probiotic. Its an indication of how powerful garlic is, when its still 'active' in the pigeons 2 days after you stop giving it.

If he still is not right now I would seriously consider what it is you want for the bird, not your own needs but the birds?

If it were mine that was shown in the photos earlier I would have done the honorable thing then. Old age is something us humans inflict on each other and our pets. It is not how nature does it.

Sorry for being blunt.

Guest chrisss
If he still is not right now I would seriously consider what it is you want for the bird, not your own needs but the birds?

If it were mine that was shown in the photos earlier I would have done the honorable thing then. Old age is something us humans inflict on each other and our pets. It is not how nature does it.

Sorry for being blunt.

erm non fancier here? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Michael, just bear in mind this is a non fancier who hasn't the knowledge and experience we may have.

Yes I agree if it was our own we may not give it as much attention because it is unlikely to race again and is clearly giving David pleasure then what is wrong with giving it a chance?

Phil

I just feel the bird has become extreemly exhausted which has allowed an underlying problem to take hold but with his medication and good care sure he will pull through.

Can't remember if Stuart gave us his diagnosis or the results from droppings were updated.

Phil

Yes I agree it is a none fancier and previously I have given good remarks. But if his needs are above the birds and the bird is suffering then action needs to be taken.

Death and taxes are the only sure thing we all have to expect out of life.

i think michael you have stepped out of line here , david has cared for this pigeon as if it was his own (which is now ) but he asked for help which was given and lo and behold he has madenew friends as well, the pigeon is back to its health now and david would like to continue to look after it, he has his pigeon you if you have a pet you,  have yours ; please no more remarks like previous

i think michael you have stepped out of line here , david has cared for this pigeon as if it was his own (which is now ) but he asked for help which was given and lo and behold he has madenew friends as well, the pigeon is back to its health now and david would like to continue to look after it, he has his pigeon you if you have a pet you,  have yours ; please no more remarks like previous

Good morning all  ;D ;D ;D, Michael !!!!!  ;) ;) ;) We know some here have never stepped away from a fight etc (high Jack) but show a bit of empathy with those of us here, who see the good side of this little topic, "Re our wee pigeon" & retreat with honour  :P :P :P. I'm afraid there is just to many big guns around ?????? waiting, to pound you into the ground I'm afraid  :D :D :D.

PS, Have a look everyone,  :) :) :) our wee pigeon is a winner already  8) 8) 8) he is out in front & going away fast !!!!!!. Unless someone, gets some help real quick here.

Enjoy.

Guest chrisss

basically lucky has a ring to it

i think the bird was lucky to have a ring on it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D lets hope it all goes well stuff the doubters ;D ;D