EYES WHAT U THINK!!!

Mr Staff Van Reet

Birdman

Yet to see proof from anyone. If someone has this gift, my question, At the very least he should have been a club champion.

Playing averages, Yes put many pairs together, and  yes you bound to get the odds going your way, now ad then.

I have heard many champions been bred, but just wait, my clients like to be kept private. So cant give you names.

Enjoyed the banter Ed

Saffer

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pigeon scout.  In regards to your eye photo.  If you say its the best breeding pigeon that ever lived then so be it,  from looking at the  photo I would say there are indications that the bird is a distance flyer and in very good health. The pupil is a little large but that could just be the picture.  With no fifth ring I would not breed from it by the eyesign alone.  But as most will acknowledge eyesign is not everything, you must use the whole bird and not by its eye alone.  From your saying its the best then I will figure I will be getting more information on the bird and would welcome it.

Saffer you said,

Could it be we all seem the same, as we evaluate and think about, odds, chances.

And most important the hundreds of factors involved besides eyes.  

I agree with this for myself anyway, I use all kinds of indicators, for me eyesign comes in after I evaluate the pairing and need to cut it a little closer that is when the eye becomes a deciding factor for me.

Saffer also wrote,

Pair 1 Bred 8 young, 6 Winners in 2003. Eyes must be right

Then for 2 years 12 youngsters later, and 1 winner, bad strike rate.

Yet eyes, health, loft, food the same.

Its pigeon racing, thats all.

Here I think you have really hit the head of the nail, few pairs if any will consistantly breed winners in the majority,  Its my thoughts that if I get an overall 15% good racers then I am successful.  Anyone no matter how they pair up that claim to get much higher percentages I will question.  There are clubs that only fly the very short races (under 200 miles), I discount these as they hold no interest for me and I think most pigeons could compete in that kind of racing.

Pigeon scout, the taming of the birds is a good one and I shall remember it, I like to feed the ybs by hand at first as this tends to also gentle them down, but I can see where your method could produce very tame birds that would actually fight to get in the hand.  Very good informative post.  Yours as always.  Ed

Ok so you want a trick for your birds? well we all know stress plays a part in our sport.

So if our birds fear us every time we lift them or enter the loft they can feel stress.

I can walk over to any bird in my loft and lift it with one hand none of my birds fear me.

Here is how I tame my young birds, when the young birds leave the nest they are taken to the young bird section and left on some straw on the floor. as they cannot yet fly.

The young birds are fed 2 or 3 times a day I placed their food on a table some 20 ins off the floor. A piece of ply wood hinged to the side wall so it can be folded up when not in use works well. As they cannot fly yet you softly lift each young bird up onto the table so it can feed after 4 or 5 days of doing this the young birds associate your hands and getting lifted with something good. On about the 4th or 5th day they well be running over to you to be lifted up to the table. After that they should never fear your hands again. This may sound like a lot of work but when it comes to putting the birds into the basket for training or racing you will do it in half the time. I have been in lofts on a friday watching the fancier motivate his birds for the race then chase them all round the loft trying to catch them for the basket, the last thing that bird remembers going into the basket is not its motivation but some nut chasing it round the loft. What bird wants to race home to that?

Ok so you want a trick for your birds? well we all know stress plays a part in our sport.

So if our birds fear us every time we lift them or enter the loft they can feel stress.

I can walk over to any bird in my loft and lift it with one hand none of my birds fear me.

Here is how I tame my young birds, when the young birds leave the nest they are taken to the young bird section and left on some straw on the floor. as they cannot yet fly.

The young birds are fed 2 or 3 times a day I placed their food on a table some 20 ins off the floor. A piece of ply wood hinged to the side wall so it can be folded up when not in use works well. As they cannot fly yet you softly lift each young bird up onto the table so it can feed after 4 or 5 days of doing this the young birds associate your hands and getting lifted with something good. On about the 4th or 5th day they well be running over to you to be lifted up to the table. After that they should never fear your hands again. This may sound like a lot of work but when it comes to putting the birds into the basket for training or racing you will do it in half the time. I have been in lofts on a friday watching the fancier motivate his birds for the race then chase them all round the loft trying to catch them for the basket, the last thing that bird remembers going into the basket is not its motivation but some nut chasing it round the loft. What bird wants to race home to that?

very good post i like the idea

birdman55678

The bird is the mattens cock now owned by a friend of a friend of mine from your part of the world the USA.

The owner of the bird taught me a lot about racing pigeons when I first started.

When I say GFL you should know who im talking about as he owns the best collection of birds anywhere in the world.

birdman55678

The bird is the mattens cock now owned by a friend of a friend of mine from your part of the world the USA.

The owner of the bird taught me a lot about racing pigeons when I first started.

When I say GFL you should know who im talking about as he owns the best collection of birds anywhere in the world.

Yes I am aware of the GFL and there are some of the better fanciers around down there, although it is over 3000 miles away we still hear the good stuff from them.  There are several flyers there that claim to be the best in the world or at least here in the states and I suppose they possibly are, but each to his own and I for one enjoy flying in the west rather than way back east, besides its very expensive there and probably beyond my budget.. LOL.  

Hopefully were are both discussing C. Strange his birds are still bringing top money everywhere.  Thanks.  Ed

He has always been a great flyer, once he started importing birds and doing well then the common man could no longer afford his birds, I find no fault in the man other than the price of his birds but as they say they gotta be worth it or none would ever buy again.  As for me they are much out of my range and I will have to be satisfied with what I have.   Over here the 500 to 600 mile races are not common in my part of the country but the few that are there very few ship over 5 or 6 birds and there usually is only a few day birds.  Ed

Be back later, I gotta run into my daughters basketball game now.  Good day all.  Ed