workman pigeons

fletch

Hi there my dad tells me in the eighties he had some great water pigeons there breed was workman (hope spelt right).

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them also if anyones still has them or if any ones has some avalible.

found an old homing world stud book and a MR Jonh Ward of sheffield was advertising them for sale ill pm you his no :) :) :) :)

Yes dad says they were great pigeons he had one cock called bergerac he came from there on the second day when they were losed midday so they had to have a night out the same bird also won saites on the day and second in the big midland 2 bird in the mid eighties good old days accordin to my dad..

Alf Baker.

It's the pigeon equivalent of "getting back to your roots." Though domestic pigeons have been bred in an almost unimaginable variety of colors and shapes, feral pigeons - the escapees, refugees, or cast offs from the domestic cornucopia - return quickly, within a generation or two, and almost universally to the mixed shades of grey, black, and blue that their wild ancestor the Rock Dove [columba livia] has worn for millennia. That is not to say they are drab, the close observer will see the fine play of color that cloaks a perfect "blue bar" pigeon, the color that racing great Alf Baker once referred to as a bag of gold dust, the pearlescent hue of the blue, the glowing purple and green of the iridescent neck feathers.

I'm sure Alf Baker was a top class flyer in one of the london feds, flew in an inner city type environment, he had several top class winners, champions in fact, and louella bought birds from him, blues and blue w, they were very successful and the strain to have at one time.

Sure the london lads could ad a lot more, well i think it was london.

Guest j v ward
Hi there my dad tells me in the eighties he had some great water pigeons there breed was workman (hope spelt right).

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them also if anyones still has them or if any ones has some avalible.

i have sent you a pm

Alan Mark of Sanderstead.

Probably one of the most famous pigeons to win the Pau Grand National was Alan Mark’s blue chequer hen, Champion ‘Pauline’, which was finally sold to the Louella Stud in Leicester. This Alf Baker / Jim Reilly hen was clocked on the second day at 13.47hrs. and won £2,000, which was a record amount of cash at that time.

Alf was a truly great small team fancier,the terror of the LondonNR Combine for many years,and although you rightly quote his famous "bag  of golddust phrase,he had a great champion white cock called OMO( old timers will remember this washing powder which supposed to clean whiter than white)and his most famous bird,a Mealy cock called PLUM,hope this helps.

"workman" was a blue pied cock bred by alf baker and raced by tommy bowes,,,,,alf baker was one of the trully greats only racing a small team of pigeons , compared to most ,,,, massarreli bought " workman" and alf bakers strain of pigeons,,, massareli have them today

i purchased a son of "workman" many years ago also a blue pied, this bird escaped , but left two eggs in which i managed to rear one yb,, again a blue pd , this pigeon scored very well in a yb national [which there was only one bird on the day in the whole of scotland] the weather the next day was even worse,, pouring with rain, this pigeon appeared from under my loft gashed down the front,smeared in blood  and soaked to the bone, i didnt see the pigeon come ,only when he appeared from under the loft,, the bird scored well in that race , but damaged so much , never raced again , he never bred anything outstanding but did breed some silvers , one of these silvers did very well  :)