• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to 300 miles then rested until the following year

Then they will be a year older and wiser and ready to move on

to longer distances

You can these days race 500 miles with them but my view is

they can be handicapped by there age and maybe ruin them.

My view is they havent learnt enough at the yearling stage.

If they are good enough you will still have them as 2 year olds.

9th nat 1st fed by 40 plus min eastbourne yearling hen .209th yearling cock 384 mile 10th fed newbury yearling hen would have been 140th open if i doubled birds thru at newbury 321 mile all broken to my loft this year.

Guest KING BILLY

EASTBOURN 388MLS 1ST CLUB 1ST LANARKSHIRE FED 1STWEST SEC SNFC

13THWEST 19WEST SEC SNFC  nw wind

YPRES 441MLS 14TH 21ST 49TH WEST SEC SNFC THIS YEAR ALL YERLINGS ON THE SHIFT

i dont think you have to whate for then to develop the pigeons are to short lived if you dont test them as yearlings and wait the folling year then get disapointed at the first test this is my opinon yearlings to the coast and try not to miss a club race with them

Guest KING BILLY
300+ nowhere but channel averages were virtually won with yearlinrs in our club last season and this is avery strong competitve club
how maney channel races are in your club  ;) ;)

yearling cock on natural :

3rd Club 47th fed Clermont            358.567  miles vel 1177.28

3rd Club 47th fed Jouey Le Chatel 414.213  miles vel 1393.73

3rd Club 16th fed Nevers               524.1640 miles vel 1250.35

Guest strapper

yearling cock 16th fed 29th combine 381mls 4,363 birdage. lost in a future race 3 wks later.

yearling hen 15th fed  20th combine 254mls 9,100 birage.<<peanut..my fav hen who won several prizes...a family pet also.

Guest frank dooman
i know a guy in our fed who puts yearlings across water flying 526 and does pretty well with them

nothing wrong in that i think that comes to fanciers that have over the years built up a strong team of birds lets face it better to try them to extream than keep alot of birds that cant do the job, i only have a small loft set up so nos, are important the basket will sort them out but that only goes for a loft that has been properly set up new starts should allways air on the side of safety

If yearlings are spot on have no problems sending them to the channel. To us this is around 520 miles plus. Best for us is 14th open snfc. This year was 40th open snfc Ypres with a yearling. (If they are right send them, if not 100% dont send them, keep for another day)  :)

I'd previously aimed to get my yearlings 333 / 375 / 399 miles, and been quite successful in getting them to fly that though well off pace.

Now that I have a channel race at 449 miles, that is my new yardstick for yearlings, and I took 89th Open this year on my first try. I think it's good grounding for the Gold Cup race 547m when they're 2-yo.  

Guest frank dooman
I'd previously aimed to get my yearlings 333 / 375 / 399 miles, and been quite successful in getting them to fly that though well off pace.

Now that I have a channel race at 449 miles, that is my new yardstick for yearlings, and I took 89th Open this year on my first try. I think it's good grounding for the Gold Cup race 547m when they're 2-yo.  

thats it ian if a fancier is distance minded then in my view needs to be done ive spoken to many good/great nat men who all swear by it there rule is if it cant do 400/450mls as yearlings they wont go on to do the real distance raceing now i can hear some say ive got birds that didnt race as y/birds and only race lightly as yearlings yes but if they had raced the good ones would have still been there and yes their is allways the odd exception