yearlings

Guest KING BILLY

ritchie 1 i send all my yearlings to the last old bird 483mls put 3 to ypres 511mls got them all timing my first one 15hrs on wing 1st club 8th seci timed nex 2 early next morning have put some to 622mls always out of race time dont bother now as too far if a yearling is in superb condition with distance blood dont waste the oppertuinity as any thing can happen waiting for 2 &3 year olds a lot of good birds are being lost to hawks etc' all the best for next year gary it wont be long thats the late breds 20 into the new loft will be putting them onto roundabout for a start to see how it goes just waiting for nest boxes to come will e sending all late breds that is left to hastings HA HA

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perspectives on the 'channel' are so different. I respect and appreciate yours but perhaps your post does give food for thought. It's 473 to the channel for you and 17 miles for me, a no brainer far more difficult for your birds to cross the channel than mine, after all the first channel race for me is 176 mile to me, 300 miles less than it is for you.

So you would understand your and others thought that that's far enough for yearlings. However generally speaking most of the Scottish races across the channel are to the east of France planned so the birds are coming aross the channel at its shortest point about 20 miles, the birds can see England whenthey hit the French coast. For me well my birds have a 100+ mile of water to cross online. What difference does this make, well I think the birds have to have orientation +.

Let me give you an example of thisin the 2008 Tarbes National many top fanciers especially to the eastern side of England had birds reported in Ireland and the western side of the country, there were claims in the fancy press that this was not a true race when such good fanciers/birds got it wrong? Well the explanation for me was that with wthe east in the wind rather than the obligatory west at the end of June these birds found themselves coming across 100/150 mile of water to come in via Devon & Cornwall, they simply were not used to coming across water and not seeing the land on the other side and lost their orientation.

I would say that if you have birds to do so well at 473 miles then the extra across the Chnnel will not stop them providing they are 5capable of getting 600 mile. The big if here though is that those birds that scaore from 50 - 500 are generally spent at 500 the old families like AH Benett's who could top the fed at 50 and 600 mile have been lost and that sadly is the reason for not getting yearlings from 600 it is not fo me an age issue rather a genetic stock issue.

good distance blood is out there still , i guess less and less are parting with them ;) and more people like sprinting as quicker to get a good family together ;) distance racing is all about patience and waiting  ;)

I flew y/b’s 469 miles. Very hard races, rain none stop. No day birds, I got one sencod day, one third day which were the first in Northants ands one Xmas day .... Had it been a day earlier needn't have got that rook for Xmas dinner  ;) ;D ;D

Fellow in Ireland gets yearling INTO Ireland, which is a feat in itself, of 660 mile.

Jackson yearlings to did just over the 1000 miles. In Canada they are flying y/b's over 400 miles back to back, that’s 2 – 3 weeks on the trot!

Yes we USED to do a lot of distance regularly flew here. But the 'Sprint Boys' could get two races week and make money - depending on location to make money - and conned most here to try and do the same.

Soon it was 'Want- nod nod wink wink - my birds home before breakfast and go shopping, not hang around for a late day or early morning' and the lemons followed suit to fill their coffers. Now it is hard to get decent distance flyers.

Many won't send birds over the 350 miles - 450 miles tops - and then sparingly. So most don't know if they have birds capable or not, and eagerly spout 'Mine won't do that'- Like they said about Bussearts, Jansenns etc. Jansenn did excelled at the distance when he bothered to send one season taking all before him.

Funnily, if one cares to look into any strain, yes-even sprinters, they undoubtedly come from Distance stock. Indeed some renown fanciers said 'All distances have to come from 'Distance Stock'!

Guest Davy Fleming

ROLAND, You are dead right about some people wanting there birds home so they can  go and do other things i.e. shopping footie PUB and a lot of other things. Had a few come to me on the quiet (or so they thought)  and tried to get me to get the birds up earlier for there own reasons and it use to sicking  me but wouldn't give a monkeys what they thought and just did what I thought was right for the birds

albear i dont think you,ll see the best long distance fanceir in scotland jim donaldson send much across the channel from up here never mind me .

Hi Robbie sorry if I offended you in anyway, not my intent. Your post really did give me food for thought, what I was trying to say and obviously not very well was that in my opinion, when any fancier hasto evaluate a pigeon to fly across the Channel or more importantly 550+, the age is not what you should be bothered about but whether the pigeon has the physical/genetic make up to be able to fly the required distance. My point is that yearlings if they have the genetic capability will fly long distance no problem, providing of course they are conditioned to do it.

Donaldson I understand is the best distance man in the NW of Scotland but because he decided not to send his yearlings across the water doesn't mean they wouldn't do it, especially when on your eastern route from the continent your birds are liberated to come across the shortest part of the Channel and the areas with the least hawk infestation in England (and by the way I lived in Yorkshire for 17 years and flew that east route myslf, not very well but always got the birds home). The most difficult part of Scotland to fly to I would have thought as an observer would be Glasgow and north, Ally Mac in Oban must be in a real nightmare location, what with drag, prevailing winds and flying back into hawk territory over the last 50/100 mile on their own.

This may be slightly off topic but I'm only trying to stimualte debate and thought, they are my opinions and may be wrong but they are  based on practical experience and a brain that was once easy living in the mensa house, sadly it vacated several years ago! After all that is what the sites like this are for to stimulate and learn.

So Robbie I reiterate I wasn't having a pop at you, and my genuine apologies for upsetting you in any way. Winning at 470 is a great performance and I was proud to be 1st & 2nd last year from more or less the same distance.

albear no offence taken but the thread was about how far you send your yearlings and results on which i replied to with my birds . also i do live in the north of scotland maybe the reason i fly in the north of scotland fed as for hawks i know of one local fanceir up here thats lost 16 pigeons to the hawks this year alone . i also agree with you that the west guys have it hard with the prevailing west winds but as for pigeons having to fly the last 50 to 100 mile on there own check the snfc results website and you,ll notice the guys in the north section, birds have to do the same .

albear no offence taken but the thread was about how far you send your yearlings and results on which i replied to with my birds . also i do live in the north of scotland maybe the reason i fly in the north of scotland fed as for hawks i know of one local fanceir up here thats lost 16 pigeons to the hawks this year alone . i also agree with you that the west guys have it hard with the prevailing west winds but as for pigeons having to fly the last 50 to 100 mile on there own check the snfc results website and you,ll notice the guys in the north section, birds have to do the same .

Hi Robbi, yes you're right the thread was about how far you send yearligs. Two ways to look at it, you could have a thread where simply everyone posts, I send mine x miles and that meets what you are saying, a bit like a results page in the football with no report detail of how and why. Or a discussion on the how and why. If fanciers don't want to have debate and discussion about the how and why then I will refrain from posting because for me that's what's interesting about the site and the way to glean knowledge and to test your own thoughts theories.

As to flying on their own, Ally Mac as I understood doesn't have another fancier within 50 mile of him but I could have got that wrong (and I mention Ally because I have a great deal of admiration for him flying out on his own to Oban). I think I read on here a while back there was a fancier up in Wick who is in a similar situation? I take my hat offf to that fancier too.

Hawks are a problem everywhere, I would lose my complete team if I left them out in the winter, I wasn't suggesting that there aren't any where you live, I was talking about the route.

ritchie 1 i send all my yearlings to the last old bird 483mls put 3 to ypres 511mls got them all timing my first one 15hrs on wing 1st club 8th seci timed nex 2 early next morning have put some to 622mls always out of race time dont bother now as too far if a yearling is in superb condition with distance blood dont waste the oppertuinity as any thing can happen waiting for 2 &3 year olds a lot of good birds are being lost to hawks etc' all the best for next year gary it wont be long thats the late breds 20 into the new loft will be putting them onto roundabout for a start to see how it goes just waiting for nest boxes to come will e sending all late breds that is left to hastings HA HA

well walter as you know i put three yearlings to hestins and got them all back picked up a ticket so will be puting alot more this year to hestins will put my 2 year olds throu the test this year we got our nest boxes last week so thats me all ready for round about next year will see if they are better on the round about system look out walter i will be right on your tale next year at hestins got the ready break standin by

What people have to remember is some of the big fanciers which many bred around 50 to 100 Y/B birds each year.

So over a few years end up with 2 or 3 lofts full of birds

They can gamble on say 20, but you must remember going over 300 miles sometime the races

are much harder than expected which equals heavy losses.

So you fanciers who have small number be on the cautious side.

Birds that race (say) 450 miles are good birds but it down to your resources?.

Guest KING BILLY

YES I THOUGHT THAT WAS AIMED AT ME BUT WHAT I SAY THAT PEOPLE SENDING YEARLINGS TO OVER 500 MILES ARE CHANCERS AND CAN'T GIVE A SH-T ABOUT THEM  I NO MANY GOOD DISTANCE FLYERS, THEY DON'T RACE AS YOUNG BIRDS GIVE THEM A FEW SHORT ONES AS YEARLINS THEN AS TWO YEAR OLDS THEY GO ON.AND WHY DO THEY KEEP SO MANY PIGEONS TO RACE A FEW RACES .

PM from white knight to myself

YES I THOUGHT THAT WAS AIMED AT ME BUT WHAT I SAY THAT PEOPLE SENDING YEARLINGS TO OVER 500 MILES ARE CHANCERS AND CAN'T GIVE A SH-T ABOUT THEM  I NO MANY GOOD DISTANCE FLYERS, THEY DON'T RACE AS YOUNG BIRDS GIVE THEM A FEW SHORT ONES AS YEARLINS THEN AS TWO YEAR OLDS THEY GO ON.AND WHY DO THEY KEEP SO MANY PIGEONS TO RACE A FEW RACES .

PM from white knight to myself

Don't understand why post on here and not just pm?

Guest KING BILLY
:( I THINK HE'S TRYING TO SHOW ME UP BUT WONT WORK AS I HAVE MY OWN OPINION,I WILL BLOCK HIS PM,S AS HE IS ACTING LIKE A BABY :( :'( GO PLAY WITH YOUR MATE WHO HAS THE USER WARNING ;).

lets not wast another good threed with this just say what you meen on open form and who has got a user warning ;) ;) ;)

i hear all you,se champs on here saying if yearlings cant do this and that their rubbish ,i would like to ask one question how many yearlings in loft and how many go to 450 -500 miles ,i would think around 5%-10% of yearlings ,me i would send to 500 plus miles no probs but maybe only one or two out of 20 and only if their 100% fit healthy and ready to do it ,not just send and hope jmo

i hear all you,se champs on here saying if yearlings cant do this and that their rubbish ,i would like to ask one question how many yearlings in loft and how many go to 450 -500 miles ,i would think around 5%-10% of yearlings ,me i would send to 500 plus miles no probs but maybe only one or two out of 20 and only if their 100% fit healthy and ready to do it ,not just send and hope jmo

spot on if not right or fit for the job i wouldnt send unless there was bouncing and only a few  ;) the few that i send are usualy testers or new birds bought in ;)

Guest j.bamling

I sent 4 yearling Willy Thas sisters (which i bred for bourges 556 mile) to every inland race scoring well in some i then sent them to lillers 332 twice & to Clermont 405 twice all on the day all in very good time the only other channel race we have is Bourges 556 which i am aiming them at this year as 2 year olds so fingers crossed

just my honest opinion but ALL birds are different all mature at different times even in the same family some can win and win well as young some can win as yearlings at 400 plus miles and some maybe not mature until 2,3 or sometimes 4 years old (patience is a virtue )  ;) ps im only talking about long distance birds as i have found that sprinters mature very very quickly

Agree 100% and I think that in my convuluted way is what I've been trying to say.

It's all about opinions, if you have been around long enough you will find that some people do things the opposite to someone else who has been just as successful.

Like the comment just made some pigeons develope and improve at different ages.(just like us humans).

Like i said if you have a large number of birds you can gamble a little by sending a few further than 300 miles.

you never know what will fly what till you try them pied cock of ours out and out sprinter in first4  every time out of first two short ones

tried at channel last arras finished 3rd club in the first 10 in fed trust your judgement if you think they'll fly it whatever the distance send them!