GLASGOW FED OTTERBURN 02/08/08

GREENGRASS

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigda

i say its not a bad idea taking those big rockets  with your fed and letting them off  just before liberation  say ten minutes before  i think it would  upset the peregrines concentration and it would  bugger off ;D those rockets send out shock waves and if the don't react to them, the next time it could be the breech  loader for real  both barrels   :) :) ;D

how did they know they were peregrines. did they attack from the air. also this implies that the people liberating were not able to see the attackers prior to liberation. from the pictures and personal experience at otterburn liberation site you would have a good chance of seeing raptors above you. nothing to give them cover. also if peregrines were attacking why did federations continue to liberate? a lot this does not add up.

My experience of drivers/convoyers at Stonehaven, the majority wouldn't know a peregrine if it landed on their transporter. Peregrines at height, against a clear sky and the sun, very difficult to see. Nothing to give the pergrines cover....nothing for your pigeons to get cover in either. Why would feds continue to liberate...lets get home, we dont get payed anymore if we are here for another 4 hours. Think you'll find it does add up.

spot on, the kingdom fed went before us and got hit by peregrines... then we went and got the same! these raptors are not daft and they ceratinly know what a pigeon transporter is, well in there eyes McDonalds on wheels!!

were gonna try the rockets this year to hopefully prevent a strike, but then again with so many feds there this week how are we gonna prevent clashing!

thirteen feds say liberating at 30 min intevals would take 6 1/2 hours, cant see this happening so be prepared for worse on saturday.

this says it all. the people who have identified something which they report back as being peregrines watch one liberation being attacked and then in their wisdom let another set of pigeons free to be attacked. why would the federation return to this race point given that they have been told of these events. further has anyone considered the effect of letting off rockets will have on pigeons. i would seriously doubt the sense in putting people, who knowingly liberate pigeons into a guaranteed peregrine attack, in charge of potentially lethal fireworks. as i have stated before this does not add up.

Hi

How about Sunday

Cheers

Homer 49

Dundee Fed have cancelled for a saturday race from otterburn, basketting tomorrow afternoon for a sunday race... lets hope the peregrines have a long lie!!

Any body else postponed?

If there is no Information given to members then surely it stands to reason that the Race controller is awaiting better weather conditions to hopefully liberate the youngsters and this delay at the race point would probably only happen for the shorter races where there is some scope to see if conditions improve.

The job of race controller is difficult enough and as we know there is not a lot of people waiting to take the job but we still get the " experts" who make comments about whether birds should be liberated or not.

Easy solution to that is for them to go along to the next Fed AGM and put there name forward to see if they can do a better job.

Dundee Fed have cancelled for a saturday race from otterburn, basketting tomorrow afternoon for a sunday race... lets hope the peregrines have a long lie!!

Any body else postponed?

north west fed

Guest bigda
the way i see it Saturday ain't that good but better than Sunday as its more prolonged rain  ; :( into the central belt lanarkshire and strathclyde

i think  if you hold till tommorw there is no chance of a lib check it out :)

how did they know they were peregrines. did they attack from the air. also this implies that the people liberating were not able to see the attackers prior to liberation. from the pictures and personal experience at otterburn liberation site you would have a good chance of seeing raptors above you. nothing to give them cover. also if peregrines were attacking why did federations continue to liberate? a lot this does not add up.

YES BONEHEAD THEY DID   TWICE  KINGDOM FED THEN DUNDEE FED  A YOUNG DOO WENT UNDER THE KINGDOM TRAILER AFTER IT WAS LIBERATED  AND THE DRIVER WAS GOING TO DRIVE AWAY EVEN THOUGH HE WAS TOLD A DOO WAS UNDER HIS MOTOR     NOBODY SAW PERCY BEFORE THEY HIT   AND ALL CONVOYERS WANTED HOME   THATS WHY DOOS WENT UP  

Questions triggered by Johno's question on raptor identity?

Is it true to say that behaviour helps identify the bird of prey responsible for an attack as I for one have bother ID-ing the bird I'm seeing?

Is the peregrine the only one that attacks other birds in the air? What about the Goshawk for example?

aquare peg no need to become aggressive. how do you know what attacked was a peregrine thats what i am asking. you will have to allow me the some room here as i fail to understand most of your post. are you saying that the convoyers were mainly concerned with getting home and not paying attention to the liberation. or are you saying that regardless of attacks the convoyers wanted home and continued about their business. finally i am a bit puzzled are not all human heads made up of bone? strange one!!!!

aquare peg no need to become aggressive. how do you know what attacked was a peregrine thats what i am asking. you will have to allow me the some room here as i fail to understand most of your post. are you saying that the convoyers were mainly concerned with getting home and not paying attention to the liberation. or are you saying that regardless of attacks the convoyers wanted home and continued about their business. finally i am a bit puzzled are not all human heads made up of bone? strange one!!!!

BASICALLY YES        I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY LIBS BEING STOPPED OR DELAYED BECAUSE OF RAPTORS   HAVE YOU?