Delbar

Guest llcoolj

i use to have 3 delbar cross's mostly maurice matthuews /delbars only got the one a red cock hasnt been raced but been out to 50 miles on a toss many times he's one im keeping an eye on for 2010 chris ie vallance lofts off here is the lad to speak to does alot with steve stoker top bloke and steves delbars are a 1

the delbar cross i own cross maurice matthuews

all the best

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

info about delbars a strain im very interested in old strains or newer strains

It was in his book The Racing Pigeon & Pigeon Racing For All by Bishop or as he was then known to many of us as 'Old Hand' that I first came across the name of the subject of this article. Until then, although I have always had a special interest in the grizzle colouring I had never heard of this Belgian or his outstanding Delbar The Griz. In fact 'Old Hand' wrote in his book that the work of this Delbar grizzle was probably unique

in pigeon racing history. The pigeon sport historian Jules Gallez once wrote that Hector Berlengee 'wrote some glorious pages in the history of racing pigeons in Belgium', but perhaps to the young and not so young fancier of today the name is shrouded with mystery if heard of at all. Within itself it is a type of surname which reflects like that of the name Stichelbaut of strength, endurance etc,. Indeed the type of pigeons produced by Berlengee possessed those qualities necessary to fly the long and marathon distances.

One of the reasons for a lack of knowledge of Berlengee is perhaps upon his death the strain founded by him appeared to have disappeared. Some have said that as the family produced mostly grizzles that they were the favourites of the birds of prey and thus became hawk bait. The latter thesis I cannot accept however for if one could calculate the number of blues and blue bars which yearly satisfy the predators the numbers would be colossal. Upon deep reflection this implies that when a peregrine is hungry it doesn't care about colour. A possible reason for the apparent disappearance of the Berlangee strain especially after such an impact is that they faded into the Delbar strain which had such an influence upon the formation of the Berlengee Grizzles. That is not to say however that there are none of this strain existing today for there are some who

keep them throughout the world. In fact they are still flourishing in parts of Germany and the noted English show fancier Robert Robilliard has a small stud of Berlingee's separate from his show stud. Also I am aware that the English fancier Colin Surtees obtained two outstanding examples of the grizzles from a German loft in the Autumn of 2004. The pair I understand was sold unto someone in either Ireland or Britain.

Initially Berlengee had stocked his loft with pigeons from a fancier called Prieel and apparently the latter who was also from Aspelare was one of the best Belgian racers prior to the First World War. One of the best obtained from Prieels was a black cock 21- 1123498 known as The Barcelona, possibly of Hansenne bloodlines which flew from Barcelona seven times and recorded nationally 56th, 71st, 98th, etc,. This fabulous bird was one of the best long distance flyers 1921 and 1930 including positions from Bordeaux and Angouleme of 15th, 52nd and 54th National. The Barcelona was also a fantastic breeder and as Berlengee carefully brought in other stock from a few fanciers including Maurice Demil and Nestor Tremmery, the black

cock was to prove his worth in due course. Of course retired he held the title as the base cock of the Berlengee strain. Thus when paired with one of the Demil imports which was a pure Bricoux the black cock fathered pigeons everyone of which was a famous long distance pigeon!

The brilliant offspring of the No.1 pair Berlengee carefully used via the method of inbreeding which in turn bred the best of long distance racers and breeders. Amongst the latter was another Barcelona, a blue bar cock which won the national from the Spanish race point in 1949. Then there is the famous Rome Hen which was 23rd and 24th National in consecutive years from the Eternal City. In the early days the colour of the pigeons reflected the Prieels influence mainly black and a few silvers with an odd Grizzle perhaps deriving from the Bricoux bloodlines of Demil. The latter colour increased however when Berlengee obtained pigeons from Maurice Delbar in 1944. Delbar and Berlengee had developed a close relationship even to the extent that the former's famous Kleine Blaue was lodging at the Aspelare stud of the latter for a period. The input of the Delbar's gave the Berlengee's a mighty shot in the arm, as if this was required, so much so that the Aspelare pigeons’ successes continued for years.

As well as the racing results an important aspect of the Delbar importation was the arrival of increased grizzling colour and of the phrase- the Berlengee Grizzles. Another important phase in the story of this great strain of distance performers for the grizzle Berlengee's won prizes for the master as well as dozens of fanciers elsewhere. An outstanding specimen amongst many of this colour was the famous De Grijze which was bred from Delbar's Oude Grizze. Therefore contrary to other sources Delbar had grizzles in his own family which derives from a pigeon of this colour which the latter had bought from a local fancier. The Berlengee De Grijze however participating in nationals had positions such as 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 21st, 37th, 180th, and many other honours, in fact beyond 450 miles he was a fabulous racer and one of the best Belgian pigeons of all time.

The Berlengee strain is one of the few strains that makes me sit up and listen so to speak. Perhaps because of my fondness for the grizzle colouring but really this would not be a rational reason for my admiration. Of course the true reason is because this is one of the greatest strains of long distance racing pigeons that has appeared since the origins of the racing pigeon in Europe. And of course the colouring is a bonus!

The Delbar strain's name today derives mainly from Maurice Delbar who succeeded a famous father Oscar in the sport and even before the carnage of the First World War the name was a noted one amongst the European pigeon racing fraternity. This family of pigeons had reaped numerous wins at distances of between 400 and 700 miles and after the war's end the family went unto further glory, especially throughout the period of approximately 20 years- 1919 until 1939. A key factor of their success was the crossing of some birds into the family from a Mr. De Peeter's loft from Puttee not far from Mechelin. Thus lay the basis of the strain: the pre- war Delbar family and the post- war input from the Peeter's. It must be stated, however, that the crosses into the Delbar's were few at this time. However, upon its arrival, the strain took the pigeon racing world by storm and success flourished not only for the master himself but for hundreds of disciples from throughout the whole of pigeondom. In fact in my childhood and youth I heard only of the Delbar's, the Hansenne's and the Putman's in that order as being the major sources of pigeon racing success.

In 1937 Delbar won the Barcelona marathon and approximately 10 years later, 1948, the Barcelona race was won by a 100% Delbar raced by the famous Berlengee. Numerous other fanciers throughout the planet won other distance, and indeed shorter races, too numerous to mention but the whole phenomenon reflected the impact of this unique strain on the world pigeon racing community. In fact the Berlangee win led to the coining of the phrase- 'the Berlangee Delbar grizzles' but in reality Delbar had grizzles in his family long before this. One of his greatest pigeons called the Little Chequer, which had won two Belgium nationals and also had a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th and a 10th National to its credit, was paired to a grizzle which Delbar purchased from a fancier who lived in his locality. The latter pair bred winners and racers for Delbar and many other fanciers. Inspite of much searching, I have failed to discover the name of the local fancier.

We should also acknowledge that the Jan Aarden dynasty was based upon a number of Delbar pigeons amongst others and that the Delbar strain has influenced other modern pigeon racing strains such as the Jos Thone's. In fact Piet de Weerd had supplied Aarden with a Delbar which lay at the base of the latter's strain. As for the successful grizzles of the Thone strain, some contained Delbar genes. One of the many successful areas of the Delbar strain was in Germany and (on one focus) Thomas Peeters at a distance of over 560 miles won 1st national St. Vincent twice with the same pigeon.This famous cock was born in 1970 and apparently derived from a Delbar grizzle hen known as the Golden Grizzle. A grand son of the Golden Grizzle, which carried the reputation as one of the best breeding hens ever, in 1977, was 1st National Ace Pigeon long distance and also 3rd National Ace Pigeon long distance in the hot bed of German long- distance racing. And it is reported today via the internet, etc., that the Delbar grizzles are still winning within Germany National prizes, especially from Marseilles and Barcelona. Delbar eventually brought in many crosses but his strain through his husbandry remained phenotypical and it was a strain that many fanciers could identify very accurately as being the work of the artist of Ronse. In truth it is a strain of which myths are spun and occupies in the fancy a honourable position amongst the greatest.

Google "German Golden Grizzle Delbars "and a lot of interesting articles will come up including some on our own site some of the names associated with Delbar and used in the formation of other strains will open your eyes including Jos Thone who is the son in law of T.Peeters

Guest KING BILLY
Google "German Golden Grizzle Delbars "and a lot of interesting articles will come up including some on our own site some of the names associated with Delbar and used in the formation of other strains will open your eyes including Jos Thone who is the son in law of T.Peeters
dellbars are at the bass of a lot of modern day pigeons  ;) ;) ;)

Guest KING BILLY
Just a few of the Delbars Gooner and I purchased from Steve Stoker, that have bred some youngsters this year that show real promise

verey nice birds there mate a thought you only keped show birds how wrong was i ;D ;D ;D

i fancied the delbars for a couple of years, do they come up for sale very often as you never see them in the adds, i've got the jan ardens and just bought some wildies, there are some cracking delbars on this topic. cheers ray

Ian Axe had some of the best via Jack Roberts , i know from What Pete Bolton of Bridlington they both favoured the Irish mint ( or mist ) lines , both fanciers were buying them off the docks apparently when there were coming into the country and swapped pigeons Pete Bolton topped the Yorkshire Middle Route Federation with a grizzle about 10 year ago from Bourge just over 500 miles  lovely family of birds  :)

Ian Axe is usually at the NEHU Show and always at Blackpool

yup and reasonably priced probably because not  a in vogue strain ;) but good honest pigeons that win  ;)