Feeding Tic Beans

Tony C

I’ve always raised an eyebrow when I've heard fanciers saying they race their pigeons on Tic beans so the doubting Thomas in me thought why not give it a go and prove it to myself one way or the other and see if this feeding regime can actually give results in this day and age against all the fancy fandango feeds on the market. I have a team of naturals that I set out for the distance races which this year will be hopper fed beans and given a little trapping mixture as a treat.

Will I get any creditable results feeding like this? Watch this space lol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol both Jimmy's

;D ;D ;D too many jimmy,s ;D ;D ;D

ive seen many distance fliers win feeding hopper fed  tic beans , they dont eat so much and dont get fat,, especialy hopper fed,, but all roads can lead to rome ;D, i have in the past fed tic beans like this, but added a tit-bit now and again, then maize nearer the race    :)

At the moment they're getting approx 1/4 oz trapping mix each a day, on a Thursday & Friday I'll also give them 1/4 oz of maize each if they're going to go of to a race that week. lol I do love a dabble :)

At the moment they're getting approx 1/4 oz trapping mix each a day, on a Thursday & Friday I'll also give them 1/4 oz of maize each if they're going to go of to a race that week. lol I do love a dabble :)
theres the problem right away ,your saying your wanting to fly distance ? never and i mean never keep your distance birds short ,ie 1/4 oz of this and that

theres the problem right away ,your saying your wanting to fly distance ? never and i mean never keep your distance birds short ,ie 1/4 oz of this and that

They have Tic beans in front of them all day. When I say 1/4 oz each of trapping mixture this is in addition to what they're fed.

i think up to 500 they are better of with carbs and fats ,years ago when fanciers fed just beans they did not get as many on the day as we do now which is due to feeding

it would depend how far they are going but up to 500 fats and carbs for the last 3-4 weeks and a less amount of beans

if you add these arnt you then giving them a mix and not 100% beans

This is what I'm partly trying to find out, do people race on 100% Tic beans or would they like us to believe that. I've had some good advice here and I'd be daft to ignore it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing for the time being and observe. Its been a concern of mine that I might choke them with such a high protein diet, if I feel they get to that stage I'll have to adjust accordingly.

Guest strapper

ask a lot of fanciers in wales who race nationals if they race on tic beans...it will most probably be in a load of fanciers  mixes ..they do not feed on 100% beans but mixed with peas/maize etc.

i have always used them in ALL my corn mixes.

i know a few top national fanciers who wouldnt be without them!

Tony you won`t win feeding just tics or horse beans at the distance,they will keep in beautiful condition,but when your out 550m+ you got to put the fats in,the beans will have done their job but last 2weeks work the fats into them.

with a little trapping mix,and a little maize ,nearer the race, you might just get a surprize ,, a good one i hope :) best of luck :),,,,,,,,will be looking at this space ;D

Agree with this recipe for both racing and showing,you get tremendous muscle condition with the beans [protein] and then you finnish the birds off with the maize [carbs] which blow the birds up body wise for showing and provide energy for racing as you do need toput some petrol in the tank and we always feed alittle conditioning seed too for the longer racers which of course aids trapping and is fed in greater quantity to the show team,it works for us.

Beans are only any good on toast.Barley,mixed with hormaform,redband and peanuts are ideal for 500mls and over and just watch how good they look when they return. ;)

budgie was in somerset and wiltshire in the mid eighties handling english pau classic and national winners galore these birds were fed beans and horse beans morning noon and night and no toast in sight!!!! ;)

• 2 months later...
I’ve always raised an eyebrow when I've heard fanciers saying they race their pigeons on Tic beans so the doubting Thomas in me thought why not give it a go and prove it to myself one way or the other and see if this feeding regime can actually give results in this day and age against all the fancy fandango feeds on the market. I have a team of naturals that I set out for the distance races which this year will be hopper fed beans and given a little trapping mixture as a treat.

Will I get any creditable results feeding like this? Watch this space lol

***UPDATE***

Me not being a fool (I know that’s debatable ;D) took the advice of fanciers on here and upped the fat & carb content in their feed as the distance races approached. Safflower/maize/peanuts & sunflower hearts were all added to their diet 7 days before a 387 mile race.......result a yearling hen scored 6th open LNRC Stonehaven.

The next test will be in 2 weeks time when 4 or 5 will be selected to go Thurso 508 miles to me.

;D ;D ;D too many jimmy,s ;D ;D ;D

ive seen many distance fliers win feeding hopper fed  tic beans , they dont eat so much and dont get fat,, especialy hopper fed,, but all roads can lead to rome ;D, i have in the past fed tic beans like this, but added a tit-bit now and again, then maize nearer the race    :)

I TOOK YOUR ADVIVE JIMMY LAD EARLY IN THE SEASON. HAD A 1ST..2ND 3RD FLYING A VERY SMALL TEAM OF BIRDS ....CHEERS M8. ;D ;D ;D