One Loft Race by Ryan Hay

sapper756

Hi George.  I was going to buy a trailer for training and use for first couple races. Then I've a proposal in with the fed to transport my birds to the longest races. The lorry is going down the road half empty and thought it would be a good way for the fed to benefit also. They would be well looked after and would be liberated separately to the federation birds. The loft is 7 miles from my house(do you think this is a problem?) which isn't ideal but the benefits of offering entrants a class venue where they can make a holiday off it out weighs me running back and fore. As for prize money I have it all written down at home but I'm currently at work down at the castle. I'll check when I'm home. 

Cheers Ryan

If our fed approved the transportation of birds for the last 4 races then it's possible the longest race might only be 140/150 miles which I would think for a lot of fanciers might not be considered a hard enough test (just my thoughts) would the olr be joining our fed as a member or would a price per bird be applied ? 

6 minutes ago, grdkeith said:

Cheers Ryan

If our fed approved the transportation of birds for the last 4 races then it's possible the longest race might only be 140/150 miles which I would think for a lot of fanciers might not be considered a hard enough test (just my thoughts) would the olr be joining our fed as a member or would a 

Would cross the distance side of it after we know race programme.  I doubt  the fed  would only go 150 miles but i could be wrong. What was our furthest young bird race this year? Would be longest 2 races as the fed covers it's self for the rest. Yes I would join as a full member so the fed benefits as much as possible.  Not everyone in the pigeon game is out for themselves. Would even hire the lorry so fed got an extra income if need be. I am thinking I might wait to 2024 reason being I could spend next year getting everything in place so it ain't so much a rush

Cheers Ryan

Think fed has only gone past 140 to here once in last 4years with ybs, if you were to join as a olr you would then have the right to put your birds every week but would need fed permission for separate libs,Could also suffer it birds taken back to a shorter distance due to weather,hope all works well for you but lots to be sorted before then

3 hours ago, grdkeith said:

Cheers Ryan

Think fed has only gone past 140 to here once in last 4years with ybs, if you were to join as a olr you would then have the right to put your birds every week but would need fed permission for separate libs,Could also suffer it birds taken back to a shorter distance due to weather,hope all works well for you but lots to be sorted before then

Some of these one lofters are real hard frae 250 onwards.....maybe something a bit easier on the birds would be no bad thing 

4 hours ago, grdkeith said:

Cheers Ryan

Cheers for the constructive criticism its what I'm after . And I'll take it on board yes I've a long way to go so possibly get everything up and running and have a wee latebred one just to get into swing of things. Possibly ilk maybe buy my own transporter and let the fed borrow it to save on fuel cost. Just trying to see what the options are. Can you see any possible positives George ?

31 minutes ago, dal2 said:

Some of these one lofters are real hard frae 250 onwards.....maybe something a bit easier on the birds would be no bad thing 

Thanks never thought of it like that. Maybe I don't need to go that far but was hoping for 200 miles 

I would be exceptionally hesitant in being the same transporter as other pigeons on a traditional program.

You can have all the initial medical program and all the health checks in the world at the loft premise, but you are opening yourself up to all the viruses and disease of all lofts if the lorry is shared on each race (I,e disease is not isolated). I have seen it said it’s not a race if all the birds are coming back to the same place without knowledge of competition (i.e racing against other lofts) but it’s a one loft race so I dismiss that, but for health reasons I would suggest it would potentially become a massive struggle in the same transporter. What would you do if the pigeons got YBS, is the program delayed?  Of course, every loft can get that but in one transporter you’re fighting that each week. If you’re relying on the fed transportation and you miss 3 weeks what happens?

This is in general Ryan, and not against your idea but it appears anybody can have the idea to have a one loft race, some figures are done, and it seems viable. But I see little in the way of medical healthcare being promoted.

I can hardly take in young pigeons from healthy lofts without some form of interaction happening to the detriment of either my young or the new pigeons. I can only imagine what happens when they come from 200+ different lofts.

I would suggest anybody having a one loft race study the Portugal One loft races in terms of medical supervision as I know they are well catered for (with a better climate it may be said) . Better still visit the better one loft races in Thailand, Taiwan or China where there is an altogether different approach; in my opinion a superior approach is taken to medical care. All birds undertake initial health screening, any pigeon dying will have an autopsy carried out with full results presented to the owners

On the plus side you have a location that’s desirable. It offers more to the partners of the fanciers than most one loft races in the UK. I would suggest promoting that. It’s generally not who is first with an idea but who does things best that survive.

In terms of Dal's response if there are batches at the end race it is disappointing as money is distributed to the winner with little trickle down. Perhaps if there is 10 at the same time (a batch) the winner is the bird with the best results up to then) but my preference is always for true winners.

1 hour ago, Ryan Hay said:

Cheers for the constructive criticism its what I'm after . And I'll take it on board yes I've a long way to go so possibly get everything up and running and have a wee latebred one just to get into swing of things. Possibly ilk maybe buy my own transporter and let the fed borrow it to save on fuel cost. Just trying to see what the options are. Can you see any possible positives George ?

Struggling to see positives in conveying with another organisation but for those who are up for it  the buzz at the home end on race day must be great !!

Ryan by the sounds of it this is obviously well thought out and will be professionally managed so in my opinion it's a great idea so go for it, also another great way of promoting the sport and keeping it going.

Unfortunately I've had to close down my small loft and will only retain a couple of pairs of birds so having two Scottish OLRs to enter will be my interest in the sport for the season ahead until I can get started again.

Definitely like the idea of the location of your venture 👍

4 hours ago, glencameron said:

I would be exceptionally hesitant in being the same transporter as other pigeons on a traditional program.

You can have all the initial medical program and all the health checks in the world at the loft premise, but you are opening yourself up to all the viruses and disease of all lofts if the lorry is shared on each race (I,e disease is not isolated). I have seen it said it’s not a race if all the birds are coming back to the same place without knowledge of competition (i.e racing against other lofts) but it’s a one loft race so I dismiss that, but for health reasons I would suggest it would potentially become a massive struggle in the same transporter. What would you do if the pigeons got YBS, is the program delayed?  Of course, every loft can get that but in one transporter you’re fighting that each week. If you’re relying on the fed transportation and you miss 3 weeks what happens?

This is in general Ryan, and not against your idea but it appears anybody can have the idea to have a one loft race, some figures are done, and it seems viable. But I see little in the way of medical healthcare being promoted.

I can hardly take in young pigeons from healthy lofts without some form of interaction happening to the detriment of either my young or the new pigeons. I can only imagine what happens when they come from 200+ different lofts.

I would suggest anybody having a one loft race study the Portugal One loft races in terms of medical supervision as I know they are well catered for (with a better climate it may be said) . Better still visit the better one loft races in Thailand, Taiwan or China where there is an altogether different approach; in my opinion a superior approach is taken to medical care. All birds undertake initial health screening, any pigeon dying will have an autopsy carried out with full results presented to the owners

On the plus side you have a location that’s desirable. It offers more to the partners of the fanciers than most one loft races in the UK. I would suggest promoting that. It’s generally not who is first with an idea but who does things best that survive.

In terms of Dal's response if there are batches at the end race it is disappointing as money is distributed to the winner with little trickle down. Perhaps if there is 10 at the same time (a batch) the winner is the bird with the best results up to then) but my preference is always for true winners.

Thanks for taking the time to give me such a thorough response.  Yes I can see your point and having thought it over probably best I didn't go in the same lorry as fed no point in leaving anything to chance. The birds welfare is my number 1 priority.  That the reason I'm only taking in 650 birds. The loft is 112 feet in total with at least 8 sections. Which includes quarantine sections. Alex also came up with the idea of having cameras in the loft so if in the morning I go in and there is loose droppings I can check back the cameras and identify the bird and remove it just incase. And with a avairy running the full length and vents in roof im planning giving them the best chance possible to stay healthy. I also possibly have someone lined up to test the birds regularly. I think I should look into how the one lofts you mention operate for some guidance. Thankyou Glen

42 minutes ago, JCN said:

Ryan by the sounds of it this is obviously well thought out and will be professionally managed so in my opinion it's a great idea so go for it, also another great way of promoting the sport and keeping it going.

Unfortunately I've had to close down my small loft and will only retain a couple of pairs of birds so having two Scottish OLRs to enter will be my interest in the sport for the season ahead until I can get started again.

Definitely like the idea of the location of your venture 👍

Cheers yes the location is beautiful and love working there. Its a Hay castle unfortunately not one of my ancestors but sometimes a pretend it's mine all the same haha 😅 and aye your right it would be great to have 2 one lofts in Scotland.  I'm sure Lee will make a go of his as well. He's a forward thinking fancier and not too far from me sure we will help each other out over the season 

• 2 weeks later...

Made the decision not to go ahead next year with my one loft race as I've still a lot of things to iron out before expecting fanciers to part with their hard earned cash. Hopefully over the course of next year I will get everything in place to get up and running for 2024  thanks