How Lady Helen Was Trained

walterboswell59

at the end of 2019 i was a bit disappointed on my birds performance in Burdine even though i thought it was a bit short and turned out a fast blow home that does not suite my birds but i still timed a half sister to lady Helen to be 18 th west section Helen did not turn up till about 8 oclock that night to win the 20 pound pool and it was not untill about three days later when handling her i found a small piece of wood embedded in her chest it looked like part of a tree branch jesus i thought you have been very lucky lass must have been attacked and dived into a tree for cover then worked her way home after percy was gone i removed the wood and cleaned up the small wound and put on some antiseptic cream and left her to recover through the winter and thought of what could have been my other silver award hen mary turned up at 10 30 that night so my best birds were home late but home in january as i took stock i had 22 birds that were qualified to go across the water as most had already been across or had every race to the coast so a good strong experienced team and was really looking forward to the cross channel races and with two silver award winners a chance of a coveted gold award which apart from winning the section in the gold cup has always been my goal thereby emulating my old mentor John Feenie john had taken me as a young man to the SNFC presentation night when he won the section in the gold cup with strathclyde lass and i was in awe at the arb trophy he had won it was a huge silver bowl and i still remember the smile on Johns face as we went back to the Hamilton Railway club where we all drank and sat this beautiful trophy on the table in front of all the pigeon men where he got a round of applause from everyone and will remain in my memory for ever i had bought in some sprint youngbirds from my friend John Short as my loft was all Jan aardens distance birds and my club results were going backwards i like a gamble on my birds and our club has great pools over 100 pounds most weeks that and the fact that with the horrendous youngbird losses i had decided not to race my own youngbirds but just train them and i would use the 24 sprinters to play with in the club the reason i mention this will become apparent later the sprint birds were bred in january and i was delighted with them they were crackers then all my dreams were shattered when covid 19 arrived on our shores and training and racing was cancelled james mcguire and i had 3 tosses before the ban then it was all stop and in limbo i had paired the stock birds and wondered what to do about the race team and National birds if we did not get racing it was more the latebreds and yearlings i was worried about as no racing would put them back a year as my yearlings go to the coast in prep for the National the following year but if we did not get racing i had made up my mind i would train them all except the channel birds at least 250 miles to make sure they had the know how for the following year the channel birds would just be paired with the view of getting as many youngbirds as possible from my best birds thereby taking advantage of there year off Helen and Mary were not allowed to sit any longer than 3 days on eggs before switching them thus stopping them from casting there flights which they will do on the second pair if they sit longer than 8 days with the result i was getting a pair of eggs every 12 days or so and they were both paired to sons of each other so fantastic bloodines as the hens were paired to the no one and no two stock cocks when these sons were produced with the sire of Helen paired to Mary and the sire of Mary paired to Helen these youngbirds were to be the future for me and a great opertunety to futher build a team around my four silver award winners which has been an on going process for me always trying to think ahead i had by now got the 24 youngsprinters flying 4 hours per day and looking fantastic then the training suspention was lifted and i decided to take my young sprinters along with the latebreds and yearlings for a training toss i was going 30 miles with the old birds with the idea of dropping off the youngbirds at twenty miles on the way it was a great day southwest wind and so i just took them all 30 miles as the youngsters had been all over the country for months and besides they would just follow the old birds home james and i libbed the birds at crawford and headed home on arriving home i got the shock of my life to see all 24 youngbirds home and on the loft a few minutes later the old birds turned up yes i thought we have something here then we get word that we will get club racing maybe to the coast great i thought we were about three weeks before racing would start and james and i trained everyday 30 miles from the same place which is down the M74 i dont train east with youngbirds or yearlings as i want my birds to fight for a line on the westside as i have found if you train youngbirds and latebreds from the east they always come from the east for the rest of there life which is no good to me being in the westsection every toss was the same the youngbirds would be just infront of the old birds with the old birds fighting to keep up with them we had about 13 tosses before the weather turned bad and we could not train meanwhile i had been asking if there was any chance of us getting across the water and we were getting no information coming back then i had a glimer of hope when i saw the RPRA were going across the channel it was a while before our officials got the go head for cross channel races and there would only be one race the gold cup thus stopping me from achiving the chance to get a gold award with helen or mary and another silver with maid marrion which is what i named the half sister of helen that was 18 th section Burdine so again i was dissapointed but at least we would get the gold cup race which is my main goal i would need to start training the channel birds as i had been flagging them one hour a day for about three weeks and they had each layed 3 sets of eggs each and the cocks were starting to drive them again and thats all for part one lads hope you enjoy the read

ps sorry about the spelling my spell checker is playing up a bit tells me its a mistake but not the correct spelling

at the end of 2019 i was a bit disappointed on my birds performance in Burdine even though i thought it was a bit short and turned out a fast blow home that does not suite my birds but i still timed a half sister to lady Helen to be 18 th west section Helen did not turn up till about 8 oclock that night to win the 20 pound pool and it was not untill about three days later when handling her i found a small piece of wood embedded in her chest it looked like part of a tree branch jesus i thought you have been very lucky lass must have been attacked and dived into a tree for cover then worked her way home after percy was gone i removed the wood and cleaned up the small wound and put on some antiseptic cream and left her to recover through the winter and thought of what could have been my other silver award hen mary turned up at 10 30 that night so my best birds were home late but home in january as i took stock i had 22 birds that were qualified to go across the water as most had already been across or had every race to the coast so a good strong experienced team and was really looking forward to the cross channel races and with two silver award winners a chance of a coveted gold award which apart from winning the section in the gold cup has always been my goal thereby emulating my old mentor John Feenie john had taken me as a young man to the SNFC presentation night when he won the section in the gold cup with strathclyde lass and i was in awe at the arb trophy he had won it was a huge silver bowl and i still remember the smile on Johns face as we went back to the Hamilton Railway club where we all drank and sat this beautiful trophy on the table in front of all the pigeon men where he got a round of applause from everyone and will remain in my memory for ever i had bought in some sprint youngbirds from my friend John Short as my loft was all Jan aardens distance birds and my club results were going backwards i like a gamble on my birds and our club has great pools over 100 pounds most weeks that and the fact that with the horrendous youngbird losses i had decided not to race my own youngbirds but just train them and i would use the 24 sprinters to play with in the club the reason i mention this will become apparent later the sprint birds were bred in january and i was delighted with them they were crackers then all my dreams were shattered when covid 19 arrived on our shores and training and racing was cancelled james mcguire and i had 3 tosses before the ban then it was all stop and in limbo i had paired the stock birds and wondered what to do about the race team and National birds if we did not get racing it was more the latebreds and yearlings i was worried about as no racing would put them back a year as my yearlings go to the coast in prep for the National the following year but if we did not get racing i had made up my mind i would train them all except the channel birds at least 250 miles to make sure they had the know how for the following year the channel birds would just be paired with the view of getting as many youngbirds as possible from my best birds thereby taking advantage of there year off Helen and Mary were not allowed to sit any longer than 3 days on eggs before switching them thus stopping them from casting there flights which they will do on the second pair if they sit longer than 8 days with the result i was getting a pair of eggs every 12 days or so and they were both paired to sons of each other so fantastic bloodines as the hens were paired to the no one and no two stock cocks when these sons were produced with the sire of Helen paired to Mary and the sire of Mary paired to Helen these youngbirds were to be the future for me and a great opertunety to futher build a team around my four silver award winners which has been an on going process for me always trying to think ahead i had by now got the 24 youngsprinters flying 4 hours per day and looking fantastic then the training suspention was lifted and i decided to take my young sprinters along with the latebreds and yearlings for a training toss i was going 30 miles with the old birds with the idea of dropping off the youngbirds at twenty miles on the way it was a great day southwest wind and so i just took them all 30 miles as the youngsters had been all over the country for months and besides they would just follow the old birds home james and i libbed the birds at crawford and headed home on arriving home i got the shock of my life to see all 24 youngbirds home and on the loft a few minutes later the old birds turned up yes i thought we have something here then we get word that we will get club racing maybe to the coast great i thought we were about three weeks before racing would start and james and i trained everyday 30 miles from the same place which is down the M74 i dont train east with youngbirds or yearlings as i want my birds to fight for a line on the westside as i have found if you train youngbirds and latebreds from the east they always come from the east for the rest of there life which is no good to me being in the westsection every toss was the same the youngbirds would be just infront of the old birds with the old birds fighting to keep up with them we had about 13 tosses before the weather turned bad and we could not train meanwhile i had been asking if there was any chance of us getting across the water and we were getting no information coming back then i had a glimer of hope when i saw the RPRA were going across the channel it was a while before our officials got the go head for cross channel races and there would only be one race the gold cup thus stopping me from achiving the chance to get a gold award with helen or mary and another silver with maid marrion which is what i named the half sister of helen that was 18 th section Burdine so again i was dissapointed but at least we would get the gold cup race which is my main goal i would need to start training the channel birds as i had been flagging them one hour a day for about three weeks and they had each layed 3 sets of eggs each and the cocks were starting to drive them again and thats all for part one lads hope you enjoy the read

ps sorry about the spelling my spell checker is playing up a bit tells me its a mistake but not the correct spelling