Natural

peter pandy

Good pair of scissors is the best peter and cut 12 to 15 inches. :partick-thistle-Crest:

Started off with a good length John but when I tried putting them into nest bowls they went straight across and would not bend down so I tried 4 inches and it was easier. I have to say that when the birds picked up longer lengths they placed them round the bowl but at the moment I have my garden carrier full of 4s but next time we are over I will cut at your recomended length. I do know they are definately beter than any other nesting material I have used and cheaper since it costs nowt LOL.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Half the hens have now laid with another 12 nests being built so they could all be down to-morrow. which gives me a 4 day window if I wish to switch eggs around should any be clear.

I have continued to add 20% Barley into the mix and will only change to pure mix with extra protein in 12 days time.

My way of thinking is that should give the birds time to produce top quality milk to start the young off in the travel of life, Not being a nutritionalist I go with tried and tested feeding rearing methods of the past which has stood me in good stead. You cannot make a silk purse out of a pigs ear !!..

Talking to a local fancier over the drive gate this morning as the dogs had a notion of removing his foot from his leg and as he is waiting for a kidney transplant felt one operation at a time is sufficient, However I digress, The topic was ! Why are we so stupid as to start racing in the winter as it still feels like spring has not sprung and when looking at the trees they are still bereft of leaves and should we not be looking at starting racing when the weather is more acceptable. Perhaps their is a valid point here and when reflecting on "why" I came to the conclusion that at Fed AGM's all programmes are decided on National dates with nothing else being considered for discussion. The fact is that the majority of Scottish fanciers are being ruled by a minority ie, 800 Nat members and their race programme against a couple of thousand fanciers who have no notion of joining the National. When looking at the BICC Programme they have 2 Intenational and 1 National the last 2 weeks in July with an any age race in the middle of August. It is obvious the seasons are changing and perhaps we need to do the same..

All my Hens are down on eggs now so I am quite pleased at the way things are going in the loft with all laying within 4 days and peace should be the main stay untill hatching occurs. Should the weather improve and temp hits 12c I will start training the Yearlings and Latebreds which were given 2 trainers at 20 miles last October and with the birds out most days since they should be in fine fettle..

Wee Mary and I wish to thank those who sent "Good Wishes" on our Anni and power to John's scraper arm..Oor muscles have softened ower the years !!!.

Started off with a good length John but when I tried putting them into nest bowls they went straight across and would not bend down so I tried 4 inches and it was easier. I have to say that when the birds picked up longer lengths they placed them round the bowl but at the moment I have my garden carrier full of 4s but next time we are over I will cut at your recomended length. I do know they are definately beter than any other nesting material I have used and cheaper since it costs nowt LOL.

That's the stuff peter,I put them on the floor or in an empty nest box and tie one around a wee bundle and watch them disappear as the birds will help theirselves and will weave them into lovely wee nests, also remember they are also reusable,when the nest is finished with lift out the clean woven reeds from the side of the bowl and give a wee shake and watch the doos collect them for their nests,hope this helps. :partick-thistle-Crest:

1st April and I was lookin for the "FOOL" so I looked in the mirror and saw his reflection.... Just put that in to stop any adverse replies !!...

Flight Path on the feed to-day gives them their monthly boost, All are looking well including the couple of yearling Cocks who were duffed up when fighting for a nest box, The funny thing is they have wasted their time as the Hens they had there eyes on decided they did not want bruiser's for partners and ended up with others who went about the business quietly so they are among the spare Cocks and will have to wait for losses before getting their end away.

When reading the R.P yesterday their was an article on Garlic Facts by Dr Chalmers the Canadian Vet. It would appear we are wasting our time giving them garlic and that much work has to be researched to evaluate its effects on animal health. MMM !!. I wonder if he has concluded a different opinion since 2007 when he was one of those writing the "Vets Tips for Fanciers" in that year.

With it being a orrible day here in the metropolis I decided to have all the baskets out of the shed and into the conservatory [greenhouse] where by they were given a spring clean and on the morrow they will be varnished by wee Mary, I have not mentioned it to her yet but am sure I can persuade her when I tell her my knee has seized up and its a must chore..

Garden is like a swamp again !! Whaur is aw the water comin frae ? Their canny be that many virgins up there wi aw they arabs bein disposed off and being promised 90 of them. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

With it being a orrible day here in the metropolis I decided to have all the baskets out of the shed and into the conservatory [greenhouse] where by they were given a spring clean and on the morrow they will be varnished by wee Mary, I have not mentioned it to her yet but am sure I can persuade her when I tell her my knee has seized up and its a must chore..

Garden is like a swamp again !! Whaur is aw the water comin frae ? Their canny be that many virgins up there wi aw they arabs bein disposed off and being promised 90 of them. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

who said the virgins were female ?

Had to varnish the baskets myself..In another post regarding Yearlings training not enough information has been given so I dont know how we can comment on the unknown such as are the birds on natural or roundabout ?. Have they been paired or are they still on nest ?. We know he is feeding 1oz per day and that should be sufficient however are they fat or thin ?. When tossing which direction are they heading ?. Is it too cold as we dont know his location ?. Too many questions unanswered I'm afraid.

At present in my loft the spare Cocks are treading sitting Hens and generally making a nuisance of themselves however if the weather remains as was to-day 12c I will start them of at 20 miles later this week and although they are only clapping around the sky at the moment they are as fit as fiddles. I dont expect them to be doing a mile a minute as has been suggested in another post but will expect them on 35 minutes as being an excellent work out.

It has not stopped raining to-day here in the Matropolis so after feeding this morning I sat down at the computer and made up my race team sheets according to my ETS ring sheet. 52 birds in all with 37 Yearlings, 12 Two year olds, and 3 Four year olds. Readers will notice I have no 3 Year olds and that was due to my last year going down the West side with the Midland Fed and most members were decimated out of a couple of race points. "No point crying over spilt milk".

Sitting in the loft watching a Hen carrying reeds over to the Cock sitting on the nest was quite comical as after one hour she had buried the Cock under them, It's a pity racing's not starting this week as she is motivated and shining. Some nests are now 2-3 inches high and no doubt eggs will roll out if the centres are not deep enough to accomodate them. I do not believe in touching nests in any way as I am sure they notice if they have been disturbed and it could put them off. I will stick to the theory that they know best.. I have a notice in my loft right at the door so I cannot miss it when entering or leaving which states ""FOR EVERY ACTION THEIR IS A REACTION"".

Down to the loft this morning and checking the barometer it read 2c so loft kept closed up and although the birds were given their freedom it was 10.30 before temp rose to 6c and they started touring the skies. A real surprise was finding 6 of the small grey hedge moths in the traps. Come 11.00 all the Hens were out and gave the sky laldy which made a pleasant change from the past week or two since pairng up. I cannot see the weather changing for the better so the training baskets will remain in pristine condition till it does, I dont condone those who cannot wait for the first race to come along however I dont think you are doing your Latebreds any favours with trying to train and get to the first race with them.. Patience is the keyword with them to pay dividends and if worth their salt they will start and compete at 100 miles. Many of my top old birds were Latebreds and were treated thus..

Beautiful blue and white sky this morning had me ready to start training till I went outside and was struck with a bitterly cold North West wind. With the loft facing WNW I kept it closed up and opened the release bowl to let them out but they really were not interested till about 11.00. I am well aware their is the Xmas race which is always a success however the birds have 4 months to recuperate which you dont have at this time of year ! But that is my opinion. In another post regarding Versele-Laga feeding I can only say I fed Breeding Plus to my racers and had a reasonable season on it but there was something missing which I could not put my finger on so wont use them again. By the way if you have the V/L 2016 Brochure just take a look at the bird on the front cover !! Now thats a poor advert for feed and supplements..

That is interesting if Appleby is closed for liberations as not only is Lanarkshire effected but Midland have 2 from there this month. Suppose I will just have to make other arrangements not that I fancied going there anyway. Just could not see the point in dog legging from Kelso to Appleby then back over to Ripon.

The loft is quiet at the moment with them all sitting eggs apart from the spare Yearling Cocks still making a bit of a nuisance of themselves and hopefully I can give them a toss shortly. I have seen a few trainers going over the top of me heading West and making heavy weather of it with quite a few stragglers plodding on behind. I gave the birds half a savoy cabbage to-day for the first time and hope it does not give them the skitters. I usually give them an Iceberg lettuce but it only lasts half an hour and its gone and the Savoy was twice the weight and half the price, to-morrow will tell in the droppings.

Saturday Morning and was into the loft first thing and checking droppings after Fridays cabbage and all was well so with the temp at 10c and virtually no wind I set about readying the birds for their first toss of 2016.

After basketing 41 Yearling's and Late Bred's with any flights wonky being steamed it was off to the 20 mile mark for a lib about 12.00 hrs as I have taken note off Greenlands observations that the Peri Bassas are at the nest site from 11 till 13.00. 20 birds beat me home and that was that until they started turning in singularly the rest of the afternoon and I finished up dropping one that had been well raced as a youngster. I have to say that I believe they had hit other batches heading West as quite a few came back from that direction high up and sailing down without a care in the world. To-day they were given a warm bath and a salt block to lick on and are looking the part. If the weather holds I will have them at 30 miles on Tuesday. As they are handling so well body wise I will keep them on 20% Barley 80% mix for another couple of weeks..

Changing the subject I thought the derogatory remarks regarding John Quinn's illness by a so called "human being" absolutely disgusting and he should be shunned by all..

Guest johnhunter

Saturday Morning and was into the loft first thing and checking droppings after Fridays cabbage and all was well so with the temp at 10c and virtually no wind I set about readying the birds for their first toss of 2016.

After basketing 41 Yearling's and Late Bred's with any flights wonky being steamed it was off to the 20 mile mark for a lib about 12.00 hrs as I have taken note off Greenlands observations that the Peri Bassas are at the nest site from 11 till 13.00. 20 birds beat me home and that was that until they started turning in singularly the rest of the afternoon and I finished up dropping one that had been well raced as a youngster. I have to say that I believe they had hit other batches heading West as quite a few came back from that direction high up and sailing down without a care in the world. To-day they were given a warm bath and a salt block to lick on and are looking the part. If the weather holds I will have them at 30 miles on Tuesday. As they are handling so well body wise I will keep them on 20% Barley 80% mix for another couple of weeks..

Changing the subject I thought the derogatory remarks regarding John Quinn's illness by a so called "human being" absolutely disgusting and he should be shunned by all..

totally agree peter

Hi Peter, enjoying reading about your methods.

Did you let cocks and hens up together on your training toss?

Yes Jasper, I dont see the point in seperate liberations when on Natural as I dont see the point in starting at 5 miles and small increases either. If birds cannot take a 20 mile jump or unable to fly 5 hours or more then they are not much use to me. I in all probability are one of the few who put birds in a basket then transfer them 5 minutes later into another basket handling them for any decrease in body weight which determines whether they are fit to go training or racing and there are many occasions when a bird looks and handles great but 5 minutes in a basket and it has changed. Have you in the past noticed that when basketing for a race they are in fine shape yet when you hand them over to a handler at the club house they are terrible. The double or even treble handling determines if I am sending them or not. I always give the bird the benefit of doubt..

Yes Jasper, I dont see the point in seperate liberations when on Natural as I dont see the point in starting at 5 miles and small increases either. If birds cannot take a 20 mile jump or unable to fly 5 hours or more then they are not much use to me. I in all probability are one of the few who put birds in a basket then transfer them 5 minutes later into another basket handling them for any decrease in body weight which determines whether they are fit to go training or racing and there are many occasions when a bird looks and handles great but 5 minutes in a basket and it has changed. Have you in the past noticed that when basketing for a race they are in fine shape yet when you hand them over to a handler at the club house they are terrible. The double or even treble handling determines if I am sending them or not. I always give the bird the benefit of doubt..

100% correct peter always like them to come out the basket better thn they went in Observation and attention to detail that's what makes the difference 😉

Birds out this morning with a beautiful blue sky and a North East wind flying for about 5 minutes and all back into the loft. Not wanting to comeback out it was a case of shifting them out my road while cleaning the Veranda and perches. Ended up shutting the loft down before mid-day and watched the sky turn grey as I kept them company whilst turning Blue.