Yearlings

Does this include your late breds too, Walter?

no m8 150 to 180 miles with them 4 or 5 races there only babies treat them like yb ive sent them to 260 miles and won with them but lost many i find there better birds the following year after just 4 or 5 races the first year then out to the coast as 2yr olds many scored in the inland nationals for me last season and will go to 500 miles this year

Have tried yearlings across the water at 450-500+ miles and it's not something I'll make a habit of doing again.

Have only ever had one yearling on a result from a cross channel race and even then it was beaten by a two year old loft mate.

I'd be happy to send them over as yearlings if I thought they benefited from the experience in later life, but I haven't found them to be any better as two year olds than birds that have only been to 280 miles or the coast as yearlings.

Unless something pops up this year that looks too good to ignore, I'll make do with getting them out to one or more of the three furthest inland races :emoticon-0157-sun:

There are a handful of success stories with yearlings over the channel every couple of years or so, but I think these are far outweighed by the failures.

Well done to those that manage it though :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Have tried yearlings across the water at 450-500+ miles and it's not something I'll make a habit of doing again.

Have only ever had one yearling on a result from a cross channel race and even then it was beaten by a two year old loft mate.

I'd be happy to send them over as yearlings if I thought they benefited from the experience in later life, but I haven't found them to be any better as two year olds than birds that have only been to 280 miles or the coast as yearlings.

Unless something pops up this year that looks too good to ignore, I'll make do with getting them out to one or more of the three furthest inland races :emoticon-0157-sun:

There are a handful of success stories with yearlings over the channel every couple of years or so, but I think these are far outweighed by the failures.

Well done to those that manage it though :emoticon-0137-clapping:

How far to the coast from you, Rooster?

Eastbourne is 399, but this year the furthest inland race is Maidstone at around 380

I was told when restarting wi the doos in 2009 from the man I went to for birds not to send yearlings over the water. I didn't listen :emoticon-0136-giggle: and think the loft is weaker for it.

Sound advice about not sending them over the water I would say Lewis . I normally do well iin our Feds longest old bird race from Hastings/Battle 483 with my yearlings but never have sent a yearling across the water nor I don't think I ever will .each to their own but I don't think I have heard of any good ones up here that's flown the channel.

Walter and Rooster - Have I got this right?

Late bred Yearlings – Raced out to 180 miles or first 4 or 5 races only

Early bred Yearlings – Out to the coast or 400 miles (ish) but not across the Channel

2 Year Old Late Breds - Out to the coast

Early Bred 2 YO's – All Races?

as a rule yes but my 2yr old latebreds need to do the coast first gogga or inland national i dont send them to 500 miles till there 3 yr olds as a rule but all my 2yr olds and older will go to 500 miles but if i have plenty yearlings and one is sticking out for ypres or clermont ill send it same with 2yr old latebreds maybe to ypres

as a rule yes but my 2yr old latebreds need to do the coast first gogga or inland national i dont send them to 500 miles till there 3 yr olds as a rule but all my 2yr olds and older will go to 500 miles but if i have plenty yearlings and one is sticking out for ypres or clermont ill send it same with 2yr old latebreds maybe to ypres

I edited my question probably as you were typing, Walter but I'm clearer in my mind now. Thank you, and everyone else, for yours and their time and for the answers.

I send every yearling that's fit and ready to Arras 487 Mls and have scored nearly every time and all my good 550 ml birds have done that yes u will loose some but for me it's now a very big part of my selection process I wouldn't recommend this for new starters but for true distance fanatics like me I think it's a must