Transportation Of Pigeons

tiger

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it the case the transporter sits for something like 4 hours at the race point to allow all the pigeons to orientate (obtain their fix from the sun)? If the 'map & compass' homing theory is correct they need this fix to compare with the sun's position at their home end in order to decide where home lies and the direction they should take. I also believe they don't need to see the sun, but from experience liberating my own pigeons on training tosses, they do seem to clear better when it is visible in the sky ... 'sun on the baskets'..

I always try to allow my trainers to sit in the basket at the lib site for 10 minutes, to obtain the same fix. I've found that after doing this they do one half turn in the sky and then make off, though not always in the direction I'd take for home :emoticon-0138-thinking: . Released straight away they will circle for ages, and that's just what I don't want for 2 reasons - first they're training and I want to train them to make a line for home as soon as they are in the sky, IMO pigeons circling at the liberation point won't be amongst the early ones at the home end; and two, as others have said, circling pigeons attract unwelcome attention..

I think that the pigeons will tell you when they are ready to be liberated. I stand my birds in the open air until they scuffle in the crate and you can see by their actions that they want to get going. After the birds have got used to the training and know what is going on I always accept their guidance as to when they are ready to go. They usually do about half a circle and head for home. If my pigeons are slow to clear I usually check them for cocci, canker and worms and treat them as necessary. I have found that it is wrong to treat pigeons with any sort of medication unless they have a problem but if they do it can have an effect on the way they race and train.

Guest chad3646

yip use to see the chaplehall guys let them off at abington chad worth a try i suppose

walter i was asking around about the pigeon fancier that i saw letting of the rockets before liberating them it was g harris of denny he liberated them at the truck stop just outside lesmahagow

walter i was asking around about the pigeon fancier that i saw letting of the rockets before liberating them it was g harris of denny he liberated them at the truck stop just outside lesmahagow

wonder if it works m8 maybe the guys would come on and tell us anything that keeps them off your birds till they get on there way is worth looking at imo

Jimmy, heard a story about an old mate of yours from up around the industrial estate doing it at Abington, it was a nice day and all the sheep were at the top of the hills until the rockets went off, he said it was like a stampede as they all charged down the hillside, had to make a quick exit before the farmer showed up, also know of a federation doing it at Elvanfoot this year at the start of the yb training

Guest chad3646

Jimmy, heard a story about an old mate of yours from up around the industrial estate doing it at Abington, it was a nice day and all the sheep were at the top of the hills until the rockets went off, he said it was like a stampede as they all charged down the hillside, had to make a quick exit before the farmer showed up, also know of a federation doing it at Elvanfoot this year at the start of the yb training

i wonder who that could be because i have no mates left, is there anybody out there wanting to be my mate lol

I have some Bird Scarer Rockets. I came to an agreement with a mate that we would both send one up if the birds were being chased by a falcon. The falcon came into view heading for the pigeons so I sent a rocket which scared the living daylights out of him. He sort of tippled from the sky and was heading away when my friend's rocket was heading in his direction. The whole thing worked like a dream and we didn't see the falcon for several weeks after that. That is the good news. Now for the bad news. The bangs from these rockets are very loud, much louder than the usual rockets you get on bonfire night and the whole neighbourhood heard them. A couple of people went to my mate's house and played hell with him. No-one came after me but I was told that the rockets frightened people and dogs something like half a mile away.

I still have a stock of rockets and I will use them if I have to but I will be very careful about how I do it in the future.

The problem we have now is that the falcon has changed his hunting habits. He used to attack the pigeons when they gained height and dive down at them while his mate tried to keep the pigeons from dropping. These days he dives at the birds at roof height and his mate tries to cut them off between the houses. One of the guys at the Club told us last week that a falcon was on the landing board of the loft trying to get in. I have not heard that one before but due to the numbers around here these days they must struggle to get enough food some of the time. Vermin.