Clermont Awol

sapper756

Returns are horrendous, me personally have 1/9 and will be well up the result timing at 08:30 on 2nd morning. Trying to dissect the race and reasons behind such returns, without stating the obvious HEAT. Pigeons to fly competitively at 500+ miles are not in great abundance and I'm sure that some birds were sent not "fit" for the task in hand. Birds that have previously scored and performed, many will have sensibly took cover and will in the course of time work home provided that they survive the BOP's. In the cold light of day from my 9 sent, possibly 5 were up to the task the other 4 were sent "to earn a box for next year". So on my figures alone can it be said that possibly as many as 40% of the birds sent to the race were sent on a wing and a prayer. This might sound a bit radical but IMHO many times birds are put in the basket and are not up to the task. I know and appreciate the work and dedication that is put in by all top fanciers and that is why in most National races the same names can be pencilled in year in year out, in all sections. The weather conditions have been a major contributary factor in this race and many very good birds that have done the course are missing but in the future I will be much more selective when going to races of 500+ miles. Food for thought eh!!!!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rab i tossed 18 yb's from Law yesterday approx 5 mls to my loft at 4.10 seen percy as we went back over the garrion bridge and the result was no yb's on the shift and only 3 today expletive remove they can almost see the loft from where i tossed them ready to give up i think :emoticon-0179-headbang:

first toss yesterday from kilncadzow got them back in ones and twos after about an hour and half and up till now am waiting on 11 and these young birds were touring for up to an hour and a half every night ,got nothing to do with weather its PERCY and personally am sick ofbreeding pigeons to feed this VERMIN of the sky :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang:

first toss yesterday from kilncadzow got them back in ones and twos after about an hour and half and up till now am waiting on 11 and these young birds were touring for up to an hour and a half every night ,got nothing to do with weather its PERCY and personally am sick ofbreeding pigeons to feed this VERMIN of the sky :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang:

Had a similar toss ourselves last night. Got a couple of singles then a batch of 10 then back to singles for the rest of the night with the last one showing up this morning so I deffo think it was a percy strike that split them. Getting them all home is a plus and especially the singles, they are well versed in life away from the loft now.

Hopefully tomoz training is no as stressful for us or the young birds.

Returns are horrendous, me personally have 1/9 and will be well up the result timing at 08:30 on 2nd morning. Trying to dissect the race and reasons behind such returns, without stating the obvious HEAT. Pigeons to fly competitively at 500+ miles are not in great abundance and I'm sure that some birds were sent not "fit" for the task in hand. Birds that have previously scored and performed, many will have sensibly took cover and will in the course of time work home provided that they survive the BOP's. In the cold light of day from my 9 sent, possibly 5 were up to the task the other 4 were sent "to earn a box for next year". So on my figures alone can it be said that possibly as many as 40% of the birds sent to the race were sent on a wing and a prayer. This might sound a bit radical but IMHO many times birds are put in the basket and are not up to the task. I know and appreciate the work and dedication that is put in by all top fanciers and that is why in most National races the same names can be pencilled in year in year out, in all sections. The weather conditions have been a major contributary factor in this race and many very good birds that have done the course are missing but in the future I will be much more selective when going to races of 500+ miles. Food for thought eh!!!!!!

Disagree with this part m8, the last national has birds entered that have been training and racing all year, in fact most in the convoy wouldve had an national already this year.So, I reckon 90% were fit and prepared for the job in hand.

Guest bigda

i believe most of the national doos that make it home are out every single day of the year for a start, and then most hens sitting nest condition maybe even first nest of the year, never tossed, but sent to a few races maybe 3 max 100 mile a 150 mile and a 250 mile before its main race. and most nat men only play about with 12 doos

Forgot to mention Percy Michael , dehydrated pigeons for Percy. ,like taking sweeties off a wean .

percy got my one i sent he was found dead on a beach in liverpool on sat morning.by a man walking his dog.he was on his back with the breast gone all that way for that to happen not far from home gutted

I bet you felt like you won it when you seen her its a great feeling when this happens as you normally have given up by now of seeing it again

It felt like the way you must have felt when you won Newbury got all winter to look at her now

percy got my one i sent he was found dead on a beach in liverpool on sat morning.by a man walking his dog.he was on his back with the breast gone all that way for that to happen not far from home gutted

got one of my two sent to Maidstone reported dead in Berwick with a similar fate 3 days after the race.