Celibate

geordie1234

What is the motivation for the pigeons on the celibate system? Is it just the love for home etc?

The only reason I'm asking is I'm toying with the idea of pairing up shortly taking a round and then splitting to go on celibate for the shorter races then pair up later. I would do roundabout but would mean the tool box would have to come out and do a bit of jiggery pokery with the loft

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought you didnt pair up for celibate? and they just run together in a thur/fri

I was going to pair up take a round then split until pairing up for the longer races. I was not intending letting them run with each other before basketting at all. Would that not be a form of widowhood or double widowhood??

I don't think there are rules to anything about pigeons. Most of the time it is trial and error. I have been flying cocks on celibate for some years now and i have to say that they are brilliant. They have no motivation that i know of and the last adult female they have seen was their Mother. I think that the main reason why people want to pair up is because they want the youngsters in most cases.

In regard to the idea of pairing up to gain motivation for later in the season, I have never done it and they have been fine. When I flew with widowhood cocks I found that they used to get bored and it was important to refresh them. The birds I have now will fly really well at exercise both high and with real energy which must be one of the reasons they win so much. I know a lot of people like to spend loads of time with their pigeons but I am certainly not one. Although I enjoy the racing I will not allow the pigeons to dominate everything I do in life so my system works well for me. No doubt if the birds stopped winning things I would change my way of doing things because I am one of those people who has to win to get any satisfaction from a sport.

I don't think there are rules to anything about pigeons. Most of the time it is trial and error. I have been flying cocks on celibate for some years now and i have to say that they are brilliant. They have no motivation that i know of and the last adult female they have seen was their Mother. I think that the main reason why people want to pair up is because they want the youngsters in most cases.

In regard to the idea of pairing up to gain motivation for later in the season, I have never done it and they have been fine. When I flew with widowhood cocks I found that they used to get bored and it was important to refresh them. The birds I have now will fly really well at exercise both high and with real energy which must be one of the reasons they win so much. I know a lot of people like to spend loads of time with their pigeons but I am certainly not one. Although I enjoy the racing I will not allow the pigeons to dominate everything I do in life so my system works well for me. No doubt if the birds stopped winning things I would change my way of doing things because I am one of those people who has to win to get any satisfaction from a sport.

Thanks for the feedback Owen

How do you feel staying celibate right up to France would work? Which is 400 plus miles

I was going to pair up take a round then split until pairing up for the longer races. I was not intending letting them run with each other before basketting at all. Would that not be a form of widowhood or double widowhood??

dunno???

ive never tried what I call celibate i find them better motivated if theyve reared a yb

but i always thought that was the difference between the two was that they wernt paired.

widowhood paired--celibate not

but it really dosnt matter what you call it as long as it works. and most people tweek and alter the basic system to suit there self so really its neither widowhood or celibate anymore its something different

have you tried it b4? are they any keener on there first nest of the year ?

dunno???

ive never tried what I call celibate i find them better motivated if theyve reared a yb

but i always thought that was the difference between the two was that they wernt paired.

widowhood paired--celibate not

but it really dosnt matter what you call it as long as it works. and most people tweek and alter the basic system to suit there self so really its neither widowhood or celibate anymore its something different

have you tried it b4? are they any keener on there first nest of the year ?

Not been in the game long enough Cawdy to know when they are normally keener the idea of splitting them completely is to make things easier for myself, Then in the later races which is were I would like to do my best in set pigeons up for pacific races

i race all my hens and cocks on celibert if u pair them its not celibert brillant sustem for the person who dosent get much time to do birds only draw bk is hens seem to fly for hours

Hiya Terry,

If you wouldn't mind - any chance that you could discuss your daily / weekly routine with the birds from training into racing please ?

Many Thanks,

Steve O'Dea

cocks are housed in a 16ft section all boxed out every cock is allowed to take its own box not forced on then hens are next door on v perches with sliding door between them hens are fed once a day on supermoulting 1ounce each cocks twice a day just over a ounce a day split into 2 feeds hens go out at 8am cocks get let into hens section after hens have had there fly there trapped and fed in cocks loft i then let cocks out for fly wen cocks are ready to come in i push hens to own section get cocks in feed them i wont see them untill 4pm and repeat again except hens only get 6 ounces between about 30 birds training wise first 4 chucks both sexes together trap together all to cocks loft left for a hour then split after 4 chucks sexes are trained seperate i train about 25 miles around 12 oclock on fridays before race i have been running hens with cocks from about 12 untill basketing they return from race all trap to cocks loft and left together untill next morning then split i use protein powder on corn sat sun mon i dont canker or cocci or worm anymore infact use nothing except bit of garlic in water with airways other ways of motivation i use is locking cocks in boxex letting hens roam the loft and visa versa show pen on floor ill put cock in one that will go in hen section and hen in one that will go in cock section sometimes i will let hens go lesbian and add chicken eggs to the nest works well before big race old birds will get around 10 chucks after that no more training just loft flying and no my race birds never get paired hope this helps

cocks are housed in a 16ft section all boxed out every cock is allowed to take its own box not forced on then hens are next door on v perches with sliding door between them hens are fed once a day on supermoulting 1ounce each cocks twice a day just over a ounce a day split into 2 feeds hens go out at 8am cocks get let into hens section after hens have had there fly there trapped and fed in cocks loft i then let cocks out for fly wen cocks are ready to come in i push hens to own section get cocks in feed them i wont see them untill 4pm and repeat again except hens only get 6 ounces between about 30 birds training wise first 4 chucks both sexes together trap together all to cocks loft left for a hour then split after 4 chucks sexes are trained seperate i train about 25 miles around 12 oclock on fridays before race i have been running hens with cocks from about 12 untill basketing they return from race all trap to cocks loft and left together untill next morning then split i use protein powder on corn sat sun mon i dont canker or cocci or worm anymore infact use nothing except bit of garlic in water with airways other ways of motivation i use is locking cocks in boxex letting hens roam the loft and visa versa show pen on floor ill put cock in one that will go in hen section and hen in one that will go in cock section sometimes i will let hens go lesbian and add chicken eggs to the nest works well before big race old birds will get around 10 chucks after that no more training just loft flying and no my race birds never get paired hope this helps

Flew the exact same system years ago and won everything up to 400 miles.

all very interesting , how do they perform ?/ and to what distance ? :animatedpigeons:

hello terry good post but what was your reason for not treating any more as i know you used to work to a regular health program .and are your team still performing as good with the change

only reason i stopped was its a waste of money i was treating sat sun mon on return from race and if they had picked virus up it wouldnt of treated it anyway waste of time treating for cocci u only get that if something else is wrong anyway had problem 2 seasons ago went to vets 5 times same old crap treated treated and treated mite aswell just pushed money down there necks so went to 2 other vets all came bk with different things so decided no more treatments its all a con meds do have there place but only as a treatment once birds show first signs

only reason i stopped was its a waste of money i was treating sat sun mon on return from race and if they had picked virus up it wouldnt of treated it anyway waste of time treating for cocci u only get that if something else is wrong anyway had problem 2 seasons ago went to vets 5 times same old crap treated treated and treated mite aswell just pushed money down there necks so went to 2 other vets all came bk with different things so decided no more treatments its all a con meds do have there place but only as a treatment once birds show first signs

So pigeon men know wots best for pigeons?

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for posting this - all very interesting ! I'm amazed at how eager the hens are to fly, and the motivational triggers are pretty cool too - the bords must be bouncing as they go off to races !

Many thanks again,

Steve

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for posting this - all very interesting ! I'm amazed at how eager the hens are to fly, and the motivational triggers are pretty cool too - the bords must be bouncing as they go off to races !

Many thanks again,

Steve

i find hens totally dominate the cocks for first 3 to 5 races ive tried all the systems this system u will never see birds fly like they do on this plus the condition of them is unreall

one thing i always use now and definatly works

Equine America Airways is used to lubricate and dilate the respiratory tract pre competition to encourage maximum intake of air during that event - whether it be cross country, racing etc.

Natural ingredients contained are vinegar, honey, glycerine, eurcalyptus and peppermint