Why Do I Bother Reporting Birds?

holmsidelofts

Well this past fortnight had two strays. I left them outside. Both well flown out. One got in and I threw it out straight off after removing the race rubber. I placed feed and water on the ground over night AFTER mine were in. Removed this first thing and before mine went out. They sat huffed and puffed up most the time on a roof shed near loft or on the avery. Some times they went up with my youngsters for short spells.

I continued to feed a little at night outside and clean water.

Both have cleared now. They gain strength and hopefully winged it home.

The one that went in I took the race rubber of. They other of course I couldn't. If it had been a ET ring I would have removed that too. Used to put a little note in 'Fed and Watered' but don't know why but I don't now.

That £1 .30p Et gives them the owner knowleage that they have been in elsewhere and fed and watered etc. A small price I believe to pay. In real terms nothing regards the cost of so much in todays hobbies. Now they fancier cam make his / her own mind up regards it future. Give it another chance / breed from etc. Had three strays full stop this year. Mind my loft is under trees so I think this has cut down the numbers of stray somewhat. Time is, and is getting worse, when fancy can just about afford to keep igeons... but not to lose them. the cost is collosal. Was a time when nigh all strays wer treated as such. Think that, personally, this is how one should treat strays. If healthy and fit, full of zest, well a different matter. JMO

I haven't been out this seasoncollecting everyone elses strays from a non fancier. Got to the stage where I would be travelling 15 miles each way or more, and then having the hassle of getting them to do right by the non fancier and arguing about not 'Doing the Honours' etc. Best one I used was to say 'Fine, I have a courier friend who will do 'Cash on delivery' But he does charge if it has to be housed or repeatedly brought back. Mind this also enlightened me some what on my forefathers history lol.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a disaster this year, 62 ybs training and never got a bird back for 3 days.Seemingly they collided with jets but ive ended up with 12/62.I have one reported in Bolton, 200 miles away, imagine I had the other 49 reported there.Alot of money to get them back so I think we all must be helping each other in this sport as this sort of thing could happen to anyone.If it was a newstart or young person then surely you wouldnt expect them to pay 40 quid a time to get there birds back.Everyone should help each other instead of causing problems for each other.I understand that you shouldnt be expected to dispose of a pigeon for someone but if you are not prepared to do that then put the pigeon out or into a stray basket.There are transporters going all over that can be delivering strays anywhere in Britain, help each other expletive remove.jmo

ps.All my ybs are bred from proven stock

surely it is best to train in say small batches of ten then if you have a bad toss the losses are not that bad rather had than sending 62 on a toss with loads missing. to me sending 62 is all your eggs in one basket.

clockman

I can assure you that although I will try to help people out in any way I can I will definitely not take on board their financial problems. If it is your bird and it is reported you have to send for it or face the consequences in my book.

I am sick and tired of having to listen to the moaning and winging. I am a pensioner but I would not dream of acting like some of the sados that are out there.

One Guy told me the other day that he had lost all of his youngsters. Well who is to blame for that? Not me and that is for sure. I told this clown that he should either get some decent pigeons or learn to fly them. Honestly, how can you have any sympathy for someone like that?

Can't agree on that one with you Roland, removing ETS rings, that's some one's property, even rubbers, if you want for what ever reason to show someone that they have dropped into a loft, a piece of tape around a ring would be enough. You're obviously working on the theory that birds that drop into other lofts are no good and birds that starve or are cat or fox food are the better ones, Can't agree with you on that one

Had one reported on Sunday, the guy said it was in decent order and he would liberate it the next day the weather was good, if it didnae clear he will have it libbed near Edinburgh this Sunday. Never once did he mention sending for it, he just wanted to inform me of its whereabouts and Told me what he would do. The call was that quick i never even got his name but he's a top man whoever he is.

when reporting strays to owners ive had the phone slammed down on me and one fancier wouldnt pick the phone up again when i called him back :angry: even though he had gone to the trouble of putting a tel no ring on it? others have said they cant afford to pay the courier fee but theres been times when i couldnt afford it but its my bird and its just not fair to leave another fancier to deal with it- i think if your not prepared to send for them then you shouldnt be racing them! our birds are our responsibility end of story

ps ive got to say that good fanciers outnumber bad ones which is why i continue to report strays

new to the sport i found a pigeon reported it never got an call back so kept it if someone reports a bird i think it is coutiouse to ring back but more fool the reall owner as this bird is the first bird back in the loft whenever i train it and when i call it in . :animatedpigeons: ireport all strays and had some gentlemen of the sport pick them up and give me advice and offer me some youngbirds