Hen Off Her Legs?

Shortcut Lofts

Something i have never seen before has happened. I have a 2 year old widowhood hen that layed 7 days after pairing but next day she couldnt fly up to her box. Has anyone seen this before?

P.S birds have ample supply of grit and minerals (i first thought it was a calcium defincienty) all birds prior to pairing were treated for canker (metrodizional) and a course of nufuramicin was administered. birds were also vaccinated for pmv in November.

Eamon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its for racing forget it this year put in the bin, if for stock forget it, most likely it has taken para typhus, in a milder form, and that will not help the other birds in among est it no a very good site to see, and it will only end up as a bean eater

IMO the fact you jagged 6-8 weeks ago can point the bird might have a Cross infection if the needle was not serialized after each bird jab

could be lack of calcium , or been a bit fat whilst laying causing a trapped nerve if is should be ok within a few days only thing to watch out for is paratyphoid if she's carrying will pass to young birds ( swollen joints ) as a precaution drop her a calcium tablet :)

Thanks for the replies guys, i should also say that to see the bird on the floor feeding etc she looks mint but just cant get to the box. She has no swollen joints and handles not too bad just a little down but i put this down to laying. I will isolate her for a few days and see what happens from there, she is too good to cull just now but if no improvements are made she will go, i have already made my mind up on that.

This has been discussed on forum many times over the years, opinions differ as to cause, but in all cases the bird comes good after a day or so, so it isn't down to illness.

Personally I don't think it has anything to do with calcium shortage as calcium for eggs comes from special bone deposits 'melted' under hormone control which starts when the hen ovulates. It is more likely that during laying, the egg has brushed the sciatic nerve to the legs, which runs close to the 'egg-works', so causing this temporary paralysis in legs.

This has been discussed on forum many times over the years, opinions differ as to cause, but in all cases the bird comes good after a day or so, so it isn't down to illness.

Personally I don't think it has anything to do with calcium shortage as calcium for eggs comes from special bone deposits 'melted' under hormone control which starts when the hen ovulates. It is more likely that during laying, the egg has brushed the sciatic nerve to the legs, which runs close to the 'egg-works', so causing this temporary paralysis in legs.

i think you are spot on mate. seen this lots of times over the years. when hens are on first eggs and been a bit over weight.

The problem with asking this sort of question on this Forum is that any answers you get are just guesses. Jim says that we are Paratyphoid mad and he is probably right but what if we are not? The real answer to your question would be to take the bird to a good Vet. My own guess is that your bird is suffering with a calcium defficiency. I know that you said that you have given the birds grit but the bird can still be finding it difficult to have the benefit from it. Sometimes birds are injured when they lay eggs, and if that is the case the problem will be temporary and she will get better.

If it was my bird, and I concluded that she had a weakness, I would get rid. I know it is easy for me to say that because I am an out and out Widowhood Flyer and I have good hens coming out of my ears.

Guest C Visser

Hi

I have a 3 year old hen, that hasn't been able to fly since she laid her first egg a week ago. I cant understand what has caused this. I having to put her in her box every and its only a couple of feet off the ground. Is she lacking in something after laying. Has anyone came across this before.

Thanks

Hi

I have a 3 year old hen, that hasn't been able to fly since she laid her first egg a week ago. I cant understand what has caused this. I having to put her in her box every and its only a couple of feet off the ground. Is she lacking in something after laying. Has anyone came across this before.

Thanks

There was a thread on here just a few days ago for same thing quite common wae loads o diffo answers have a search for it

greenlands what ratio do you use when adding osteocare to the drinking water ?how many mls of osteocare to a litre of water

Hi Mate, osteocare , from any good health shop or chemist, 5mls to a 2 litre drinker,or put the same amount on thier daily feed ,I think IMO twice a week is ample.

http://www.vitabiotics.com/osteocare/

Lindsay.