Vitamin B12

Guest LBuddle

Hello all,

Vitamin B12 aids a pigeon, what is the exact purpose for it??

Lee.

I used to give it to my widowhood cocks in the eighties in the form of Cytacon,it is an aid to the nervous system among other things.After the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 the Russians bought most of the stocks up to help treat radiation sickness and when it re-appeared on the market it had doubled in price,not used it since as it is present in other supplements.

I used to give it to my widowhood cocks in the eighties in the form of Cytacon,it is an aid to the nervous system among other things.After the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 the Russians bought most of the stocks up to help treat radiation sickness and when it re-appeared on the market it had doubled in price,not used it since as it is present in other supplements.

Spot on mate especially with the Russian bit,My late mother use to get injected with a cytacon based injection once a week,after the carry on in Russian,she was told she didn't require as much and only got it once a month.How did they come to that decision without any tests??

I used cytacon then went onto B15.

Lindsay

My boss suffers from pernicious anaemia (spelling) which means her body is unable to process any vitamin B12 present in her food. Before her condition was diagnosed (B12 deficiency) her symptoms were tiredness and lack of energy.

I see B12 advertised as an energy booster for pigeons. I'm not convinced that this is so in a healthy pigeon, which should get all it needs from its diet via the actions of gut bacteria. I've posted before about the conflicting information which tells us that B12 is present only in animal products, yet Vegetarian websites tell us B12 is found in the gut of members whose diet is vegetable only (which suggests it is a byproduct of gut bacteria) and in a healthy human who 'stopped' taking B12 just now it would be 20 years before sysmptoms of a B12 deficiency showed up, also suggesting it is required in very very small amounts.

My boss suffers from pernicious anaemia (spelling) which means her body is unable to process any vitamin B12 present in her food. Before her condition was diagnosed (B12 deficiency) her symptoms were tiredness and lack of energy.

I see B12 advertised as an energy booster for pigeons. I'm not convinced that this is so in a healthy pigeon, which should get all it needs from its diet via the actions of gut bacteria. I've posted before about the conflicting information which tells us that B12 is present only in animal products, yet Vegetarian websites tell us B12 is found in the gut of members whose diet is vegetable only (which suggests it is a byproduct of gut bacteria) and in a healthy human who 'stopped' taking B12 just now it would be 20 years before sysmptoms of a B12 deficiency showed up, also suggesting it is required in very very small amounts.

Spot on there IB and with your spelling,my wife has this condition and it's not nice to live with, it's an auto-immune disease, meaning the body attacks itself, in this case the stomach lining. Vit.B12 is essential for the formation of red blood cells so relies on stores of B12 in the liver,these run out after about 3yrs.Lack of B12 affects the blood's ability to carry oxygen throughout the body causing general weakness,Fairly rare condition so shouldn't happen too often in our pigeons

Good post IB, however my late mother had Crones desease and could not eat any Veg. at all,I was told that this is why B12 was given to her.

Lindsay

Yes you are right, Crohn's disease, inflammatory bowel disease and can no longer absorb nutrients

I'm actualy b12 deficent i cant absorb it naturaly so have to take tablets which work :) symptoms can be stiffness cramps short term memory loss fatigue ectra , i give my birds b12 and i believe its important to them :)

plenty of it in linseed :rolleyes:

too much linseed gives them loose droppings ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Sources of B12 other than Cyticon are linseed, barley in small amounts, white of egg and brewer's yeast. I boil the linseed and give the jelly to the birds in the water. I mix white of egg with feed once each week. And I give the birds a small amount of Brewer's yeast after they have raced on their food, the egg white is good to stick the Brewer's Yeast to the corn. Those who feed baby milk or colostrum are also feeding B12 as part of the diet.

To be honest, I do all this but I have never seen up-to-date scientific information to explain the reasons behind our(my) preoccupation with B12. If anyone knows of any good information I would be very grateful if they could point it out for me.

Guest vander mungo

Sources of B12 other than Cyticon are linseed, barley in small amounts, white of egg and brewer's yeast. I boil the linseed and give the jelly to the birds in the water. I mix white of egg with feed once each week. And I give the birds a small amount of Brewer's yeast after they have raced on their food, the egg white is good to stick the Brewer's Yeast to the corn. Those who feed baby milk or colostrum are also feeding B12 as part of the diet.

To be honest, I do all this but I have never seen up-to-date scientific information to explain the reasons behind our(my) preoccupation with B12. If anyone knows of any good information I would be very grateful if they could point it out for me.

there is none but there fads with fanciers who are winning big time

so they tell us this is the secret

or do they,or has he been tapped by the big boys to promote there goods

who knows

http://www.answers.com/topic/vitamin-b12

hear is a website with good answers on this topic

• 13 years later...