Why Report Strays!

mac1

not kidding i must of reported at least 15 + strays this last few month.apart from putting them on the stray basket on transporters others dont want the bird or ets ring back,i would love some of my birds back, i would never make a fancier send for their bird either way i dont mind.. anyone other member feel the same??

i have reported a few this year.i am the same as you i would not make any fancier send for their bird if thay did not want it.have had 2 reported via Steven aitchison of eyemouth (THANKS) one i got back via red grizz on hear going down for it .the other one is still at Stevens he said don,t send for it he would bring it up to yb marking on Friday. so both times saving me cost of courior. it makes a big difference when it is good pigeon men that get your stray,s in.

I believe it is, and has to be, the way it is. Especially when a very large percentage of flyers are breeding more culls every year to off set higher losses every season for breeding even more Culls.

The reality is that A. the RPRA would not have a sport left if most pigeons were reported and sent for! Because A. A very high percentage couldn't afford to send for them. Suspentions would go through the roof. Meaning even more having to leave the sport. Mean further costs of all racing and feeds / supplies would then abound with tremedous costs, yep even a darn site more.

then many stockist would say that the profit margin to house feeds / supplis, / meds etc. warrent no room and the shelving of more saleable products would replace them.

We must accept the reality that most fancier can just about afford to keep pigeons, but not to lose them. And before the crap about they can afford to drink / bet etc. for everyone in the club that does.... the rest DON'T. So the beer swilling will, regardless, and even pack up racing.... whereas those that struggle now, would struggle a darn site more and have to pack up keeping pigeons to race. And the circle would be a spiriling loss of flyers and higher costs.

You can't have your cake and eat it!

And so what if I get 10, 20 even a 100 flipping strays, send up the road towards thehome where possible... and that is very often possible. Someone somewhere is going somewhere sometime... get shot of....

i've reported about 15 to 20 this year from birmingham to fife the scottish ones one lad came for his as he had another 4 reported in this area all scottish ones i can get them as far as edinburgh and i do the lad loves taken them some he said just dropped straight down into parts of edinburgh not one, no sorry one has phoned me to say he got his back, the others still haven't but i phoned them i saved them 40 quid and won't make a poxy 10p phone call, the ones down south i get a good few back but the ones west of me its a bit harder, i have one in now belongs to an 83 yr old man lives in crook. so i'll get that one to durham and hope it makes it. cheers

Guest mick bowler

Always going to be a subject of contention. I hear all this about how they cannot afford to send them blah, blah, blah, but would you buy a Ferrari if you could not afford to drive it on the road?

One of the last birds i reported, he said couldnt afford to pick it up, then when talking told me he had sent 55 (yep FIFTY FIVE), at i assume a euro or so a bird plus pools! This very same person i told him that was fine i would just put a pot of food and water on the shed and leave it out for the peregrines, as better to take one not wanted than one of mine. He then accused me being an ass and cruel! Had to remind him I wasnt the one who bred it and sent it with no chance of getting home!!

Two faced, hypocritical, there are so many words that can be used, but the problem will never be solved.

BTW i have spent hours in a car and euros on diesel picking up a pigeon i didnt really want. I bred it, i sent it, it is my responsibility, so i will deal with it and not just lump the problem on someone else.

Guest j.bamling

Mac since ive been racing from this new loft location 6 seasons i have always got back my birds back even if birds were damaged

This year i got a call from a guy called Lou mitchell from Inverkeithing FIFE he had a yb of mine up there before my ybs were even flying

I tried to get a courier sorted but couldn't so i transfered the bird and let him keep it

he phoned me the other week to say it had won 3 x 1sts from 4 yb races ,I wish now id tried a bit harder to get it back :rolleyes:

I dont get a lot of strays here between 4-6 per year but always either report them & try and get them back or put them on transporter and get them home

This old chestnut rises its head again.Why should the fanciers whos loft the strays enter be responsiblble to repatriate the said strays.Do you know what its like to have birds land on your landing board or varanda to be imediately hanted.These birds have done me no ill and yet some irresponsible person wishes me to suppress there mistakes. Dont take the high ground and presume its your right not to claim your property.The reverse is true.You have a democratically brought about regulation to do this.I am sorry you cant afford to get your birds back.Ask me i will help.But i am not prepared to kill healthy birds to save you £35.If this becomes the norm then i will pack in. My widowhood cocks are pulled from the sky and my racing and life is affected.Thank you for your time.

Yep, many good points put forward from above posts.

But 'Strays' are a 'Blister on our Foot’, which sadly - I believe - is here to stay, and one that we will just have to put up with. Regardless of high ground or morals I’m afraid.

No! I will never cull anyone’s bird. I hate doing mine when it is in their' best interest or has to be done. But I have to accept, like you all do have to, that this 'Blister on the foot' is a small pain to any other options open to us.

So like the ET. Get over it, it's here, and will stay a blemish on the foot. No two ways about that.

Liken it when- as a carpet / floor fitter - asked to take up old lino / carpet etc. We straightaway refuse, because it's like a 'Pandora Box' you just don't know what a multitude of sins may be hidden!! - even to move anything at all, off shelves, fridge, chair before laying a carpet we refuse.... Because the knock on effect could be very costly to the fitter if he does a good deed to help! So we don't / won’t do it!

Likewise the cost in real terms would / will far outweigh any costs in regards of trying to enforce a practice - as it has now become - that doesn't sit well on our shoulders.

Yep, many good points put forward from above posts.

But 'Strays' are a 'Blister on our Foot’, which sadly - I believe - is here to stay, and one that we will just have to put up with. Regardless of high ground or morals I’m afraid.

No! I will never cull anyone’s bird. I hate doing mine when it is in their' best interest or has to be done. But I have to accept, like you all do have to, that this 'Blister on the foot' is a small pain to any other options open to us.

So like the ET. Get over it, it's here, and will stay a blemish on the foot. No two ways about that.

Liken it when- as a carpet / floor fitter - asked to take up old lino / carpet etc. We straightaway refuse, because it's like a 'Pandora Box' you just don't know what a multitude of sins may be hidden!! - even to move anything at all, off shelves, fridge, chair before laying a carpet we refuse.... Because the knock on effect could be very costly to the fitter if he does a good deed to help! So we don't / won’t do it!

Likewise the cost in real terms would / will far outweigh any costs in regards of trying to enforce a practice - as it has now become - that doesn't sit well on our shoulders.

Once again the main characters in this senario are cast aside.Given no voice to protect them from what is becoming an evil world.These regulations democratically arrived at are in place to protect the birds from just such harsh treatment.If it becomes a universally accepted practice were will it end.Sore foot or not the fancy OWES none fancying peaple a dept becouse that person whoever he she may be has gone out of there way to help your bird pet etc.Fanciers have taken in your athletes who you prepared for the race well or not so well they have been found to have come up short.Its only 2 3 weeks ago the Scottish men were about wiped out.

any stray that comes here is feed and watered then I ring

the owner if stamped just to let them know where there yb

is and then will get it nearer home when possible,and I have

had afew ring to say bird is home :) this is how I hope mine

are treated and if it will not clear I would send for it or go and

get it :) [jmo]

In this area there are people who breed literally hundreds of youngsters every year. Most of whom would not dream of sending for their strays. I often wonder if they bother to basket train their birds or vaccinate them. I know for certain that they do not stamp them properly. It is obvious that they breed from any and all the birds they have to be able to get to the numbers that they start the season with.

I know all about the arguements about the poor Fanciers can not afford to send for there strays but what are the rest of us suposed to do with them? Answer me that Roland. I certainly do not want other people's pigeons and if they are lost and down and out I am not prepared to leave them to die of starvation. Besides I would not want them to be hanging about on the roofs to attract mine into that sort of bad habit. The only solution I can think of is for the Owners to have them back. Before I am told about the cost of sending for the strays I have to say that I am not prepared to second guess another person's financial position. And it would not be the first time I have replied to the comment to screw it's neck by saying that I will screw the neck of the stupid ignorant person who talks like that. No, we as a sport must behave properly toward the birds that rely on us for proper care and consideration. For me, nothing else will do.