What Got Lost At Bovindon

blaz

Guest Gareth Rankin

sent 11 got 10, pretty much a mixed bag for the members of the National when it comes down to the returns from this race.

Just cant put my finger on it as to why.

I got 7 out of 20, 1 reported in newcastle, my friend got one reported in Armagh Ireland the guy got it in in sat evening .

Just shows you we dodn't know were they get to,the returns from this race every year are poor and I have a few point about why that is.

I race with the Glasgow Fed.

The race comes too soon in the season if it was two weeks later and we had a couple more club races around 150 - 250 miles the birds would be better prepared for it and the weather would probably be more favourable over the two week period bringing the birds into better condition.

If we don't sent our 2 year olds to this race they must jump into Eastbourne or they are finished for the season at the end of May! this is due to feds doubling into the national and this leaves members with two choices

Their old bird season is over by the end of May or they go to the Nationals? we race our birds in winter weather at the start of the year then have none left or have to stop just as the weather is hotting up and the season should just be starting. If we don't go to Nationals we don't have any racing in the whole of June except 1 comeback race, then its "bring on the young birds"

Back to the losses, I think the number of returns is decided at the race point if 5000 birds headed north after liberation then even if some are not up for the job most of the experienced birds would turn up over the next couple of days, but there gone.

I think a large part of the convoy have went either south or west and for some reason not corrected themselves,where they end up I don't know but there are too many experienced birds lost But as I have already said a lot of birds are being sent because if they don't there season is finished,and this happens every year at the 1st Inland National.

These are only my opinions and My hat comes off to fanciers who go a good return well done.

Still 2 short from 10 sent. Cheq, cock that won the Young bird open last year also winning the Joe Murphy y\bird exchange. And B\bar hen which topped the North West Fed 2 weeks running and winning y\bird of the year in the Fed. So we got good retuns compared to some but would like these 2 back.Still look for them every morning at the loft :rolleyes:

I got 7 out of 20, 1 reported in newcastle, my friend got one reported in Armagh Ireland the guy got it in in sat evening .

Just shows you we dodn't know were they get to,the returns from this race every year are poor and I have a few point about why that is.

I race with the Glasgow Fed.

The race comes too soon in the season if it was two weeks later and we had a couple more club races around 150 - 250 miles the birds would be better prepared for it and the weather would probably be more favourable over the two week period bringing the birds into better condition.

If we don't sent our 2 year olds to this race they must jump into Eastbourne or they are finished for the season at the end of May! this is due to feds doubling into the national and this leaves members with two choices

Their old bird season is over by the end of May or they go to the Nationals? we race our birds in winter weather at the start of the year then have none left or have to stop just as the weather is hotting up and the season should just be starting. If we don't go to Nationals we don't have any racing in the whole of June except 1 comeback race, then its "bring on the young birds"

Back to the losses, I think the number of returns is decided at the race point if 5000 birds headed north after liberation then even if some are not up for the job most of the experienced birds would turn up over the next couple of days, but there gone.

I think a large part of the convoy have went either south or west and for some reason not corrected themselves,where they end up I don't know but there are too many experienced birds lost But as I have already said a lot of birds are being sent because if they don't there season is finished,and this happens every year at the 1st Inland National.

These are only my opinions and My hat comes off to fanciers who go a good return well done.

Got to agree with you there, all the lanarkshire races are set to coincide with the S N F C , was talking with some one today about the losses suffered this year and i think you have hit the nail on the head here

Still 4/8. Missing birds are all 2 y-o. Can't see any common theme in my missing birds; the cock did Eastbourne 399 miles last year (yearling), and the 3 hens, 2 were late-breds unraced as YBs both did Newark 220 miles last year (yearlings) ; other flew YB National, then hawked at Leicester 257 miles last year (yearling). 2 weeks before Bovingdon , all flew in similar hot conditions in Fed race from Wakefield, 187 miles, .

Guest Gareth Rankin

Got to agree with you there, all the lanarkshire races are set to coincide with the S N F C , was talking with some one today about the losses suffered this year and i think you have hit the nail on the head here

The problem from Bovingdon lies in other areas and not that its come too early in the season.

Can't agree with you lads as if you look back over the last half decade you will see that all federations including Lanarkshire have always been at 250-260 miles by the last week in May, can appreciate your statement along with Bullcock's but feel pigeons even having 1 race from 200 is ample for asking a pigeon to fly 310 miles on the first week in June.

Worth noting that in 1979 Lanarkshire fed had a 500 mile race from Avranches on the 6th of June and typically the fed season was finished by 22nd of June.

cheers

Gareth

Guest BRYANBROCK

1 from 8

all flew Kingslea One Loft Race Scotchcorner 186 four flew young bird national 318 in race time

time you got another partner pal :P:P:P:P

The problem from Bovingdon lies in other areas and not that its come too early in the season.

Can't agree with you lads as if you look back over the last half decade you will see that all federations including Lanarkshire have always been at 250-260 miles by the last week in May, can appreciate your statement along with Bullcock's but feel pigeons even having 1 race from 200 is ample for asking a pigeon to fly 310 miles on the first week in June.

Worth noting that in 1979 Lanarkshire fed had a 500 mile race from Avranches on the 6th of June and typically the fed season was finished by 22nd of June.

cheers

Gareth

:) thats my 4 year old ch/p cock back 9.30 this morning . puts a smile on the face .he is well flown out lost a lot of body weight but nothing that can.t be fixed.i hope some more of you get some more back.

Guest wes hall

:) thats my 4 year old ch/p cock back 9.30 this morning . puts a smile on the face .he is well flown out lost a lot of body weight but nothing that can.t be fixed.i hope some more of you get some more back.

well done blaz glad you got him back wes

Guest BRYANBROCK

Are you touting for the job ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

your kidding :huh::huh: havnt got time for mine some weeks never mind your lot

busy busy busy i do need a partner tho but nae M.M. would heve to put him down after 24 hours if it lasted that long :unsure::unsure: