Hawks

celtic

Reckon if you didn't behave 'above board' RSPB would declare open season on anything released into the wild. Did it before, their partners BTO telling folks on TV prog on eagle owls that was broadcast nationally, they could go out and shoot them and not be prosecuted and lo and behold, the hen of the Yorkshire pair is shot with a large bore shotgun - but it didn't die of its wounds quips our RSPB spokesperson. What did it die from? Starvation - b*stards left bird wounded and unable to hunt for herself.. so she starved to death.

So on the same token, if anyone just wounds anything, you cannot be blamed for killing it

It may die of a broken neck when it falls out the tree

It may die of starvation

It may die at the hands or teeth of another predator

Does anyone have the clipping or a link of this remark by RSPB

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So on the same token, if anyone just wounds anything, you cannot be blamed for killing it

It may die of starvation

this is true what bruno said ,,[ a pity you couldn't get a video of that programme ]   maybe some one on the forum taped it ,or maybe make enquiries to acquire this,, i think you would find it most interesting ,,, its positively sure the rspb dont want these birds in the uk. [my thoughts are , that's why they disappeared mysteriously just after the programme ]  but the law states you can shoot an escapee???  but if their bred here , even from escapees ,, the rspb should look after them the same as peregrines ?????,,,,,their protected [strange law?]  but if you buy a pair and they escape/?its not your fault :-/ :-/ and if they manage to breed ,, the youngsters should be british birds , born in britain and SHOULD? come under the same protection as the peregrines ,,,but would they??  in other words the rspb are a law unto themselves ,, which is wrong

Just one snag with the cunning plan! Eagle owls are fairly cheap ( £100 ) and breed easily enough. However it it an offence to release any birds into the wild, wether indigenous or not. You have to get a licence to release them and thet's not going to happen. It would have to be done on the QT, but who's going to risk that?

his is perfectly true,,, but some of these birds do escape ,,,,,accidentally ;)

here is another wee story

http://www.owls.org/News/eagle_owl.htm

We should look at the history of eagle owls in britain to see if they were present at any time, this would be a good case for release, as in all other release programmes reintroducing birds like the sea eagle on Mull, the red tail kite on the Black Isle

he Eagle Owl is a very large and powerful bird, similar in size, but typically slightly smaller than the Golden Eagle. It is the largest species of owl with a wingspan of up to 200 cm. Adult females can weigh in excess of 4 kg (8.8 lbs), in comparison the common Barn Owl weighs about 500 grams (1.1 lbs). It mainly feeds on small mammals, but can kill prey up to the size of foxes and young deer (up to 10 kg/22 lbs), if taken by surprise. Larger prey (over 3 kg/6.6 lbs) is consumed on the ground which leaves the bird vulnerable (e.g. to other foxes). It will also take on many other birds including other birds of prey.

Face of a female Eagle Owl.

Face of a female Eagle Owl.

The call of the Eagle Owl is a deep resonant “ooh-hu” with emphasis on the first syllable for the male, and a more high-pitched uh-Hu for the female (in German, the name of this bird is "Uhu"). A recent study has shown that these calls are easily individualized. It means that each member of an Eagle Owl population can be individually identified by means of its vocalizations [1] . The Eagle Owl's scientific name comes from its deep booming call. The word "bubo," based on the call, has referred to owls, particularly the Eagle Owl, since the Dark Ages, and is mentioned in Middle English bestiaries.

The size, ear tufts and orange eyes make this a very distinctive species. It has a strong direct flight. The difference between the male and female is very recognisable as the male's ear tufts are more upright than the female's, while hers are usually drooping down.

The horned owls are a part of the larger grouping of owls known as the typical owls, Strigidae, which contains most species of owl. The other grouping is the barn owls, Tytonidae.

[edit] Habitat

Eagle Owl in winter.

Eagle Owl in winter.

The Eagle Owl is largely nocturnal and is found in mountains and forests with cliffs and rocky areas, usually nesting on cliff ledges. They live for around 20 years although like many other bird species in captivity they can live much longer, perhaps up to 60 years.

A captive Eurasian Eagle-Owl used in falconry demonstrations

A captive Eurasian Eagle-Owl used in falconry demonstrations

Although Eagle Owls are usually considered to be a bird of the great wilderness, they have been observed hunting on open landfills in Northern Europe. This poses a certain risk for the owls as any pollutants the rats they feed on have ingested may be enriched in the owls. Eagle Owls that hunt on landfills have also sometimes been seen flying with different kind of waste entangled around their feet.

Eagle Owls have also been observed living in European cities. Since 2005, at least five couples have nested in Helsinki.[2] The number is expected to increase due to the growth of a wild rabbit population in Helsinki, most likely originating from released pet rabbits. In June 2007, an Eagle Owl nick-named Bubi landed in the crowded Helsinki Olympic Stadium during the European Football Championship qualification match between Finland and Belgium. The match was interrupted for six minutes.[3]

[edit] Recent UK breeding

The Eagle Owl was not considered to be naturally resident in England, but according to a BBC TV programme (2005), a pair have been breeding for several years in a valley in Ministry of Defence land in North Yorkshire [4]. There is some debate as to whether these birds are escapees or whether they have arrived naturally from the continent which would only be a relatively short journey. At the time the program was made, they had reared 20 young to independence, and they had 3 young in the nest. Nothing was known of what happened to those 20 young, except that one of them electrocuted itself on power lines in Shropshire.

Another bird has been sighted several times in Heaton, Bolton, Lancashire. Sadly this bird was reported to have died in mid April 2007 due to secondary poisoning, perhaps from eating a contaminated dead rodent.[5] The BBC reported a pair nesting and aggressively protecting their brood from dog-walkers on a nearby footpath in Lancashire, England in late May 2007.

However, a more recent BBC TV programme (2007) reported that the Eagle Owl is becoming more common in the UK and is showing signs that it is becoming established, mirroring the recent rapid increase in the Buzzard population with which it shares some similarities, particularly prey and habitat.

The recent apparent increase in successful wild-breeding has attracted opposition from those who believe the owl to be a danger to native species and young livestock. Perhaps as a result, a few 'new' Eagle Owls have been illegally killed, including the female in North Yorkshire who had successfully reared 23 young before she was shot dead in January 2006.[6] An act which the World Owl Trust has called disgraceful. [7]..

A new pair in Bowland, Lancashire have been attracting positive public attention due to having successfully reared 3 young to flight. There have also been reports of a further 2 pairs active in the local area as well as another pair breeding chicks in Northumberland in 2005. [8].

Eagle Owls have also been confirmed breeding in Scotland, with sightings of wild birds confirmed in Galloway, Invernesshire, and Sutherland. Significantly the World Owl Trust now believes that the Eagle Owl should be added to the British Ornithologists Union's list of official British birds - indicating the significance of the increase in wild pairs in Britain. [9].

i agree with the british owl trust and most of the top ornithologists who also agree with this ,,,,,but the rspb dont???  i wonder why ??my opinion is,, because they have paid millions of pounds in releasing perigrines [wages ,,wardens,  breeding  etc etc ] that they think their money and THEIR birds will be wasted away,,,which it would be ,,,,,,,,,,,the rspb hate these birds             [the royal society for the protection of BIRDS]  ironic isnt it .

You know, all this and a Publicity, for instance to those that leave their will, or donate £'s every month to help in regards the Garden birds etc. and many other concerns that have concerns re 'Raptures' etc. need their voice heard! Need it formatting and explained in the right ears, Likewise the Media, and your've guessed it A P.R. firm that has a think tank, built in levy boards etc. and put over at every oppertunity ours' and others fears, rights and just what is going on! But that would coast us all a quid, - unless other concerns join in - so that is out!

It may die of starvation

Just wanted to double check which remark?

My comment was on email correspondance Jimmy White and I had with DEFRA and RSPB respectively, on a TV programme broadcast a year or two ago in which British Ornithologist's Union [keep calling them BTO  :-/] put out wrong info - big time - that these birds were not protected by law - they are - and told folks they could go out and shoot them.

Learned later that some b*stard did shoot the hen, and when I again took up with RSPB his reply was that his information was that the bird didn't die from its wounds. Again, much later, learned what really happened to the hen, she was shot which stopped her hunting for food for herself - and she starved to death. My last comment was my own conclusion - my words, not his - on a very shallow reply and unworthy of a so-called bird convservation organisation that had contributed to this bird's death by inciting folk on national TV to go out and shoot it.

If I recall the legislation correctly, you are not allowed to harm or even disturb a protected bird or its eggs or nest or young, in any way.   :) Farting near one without due care and attention could lead to an appearance in court.  :)

This was the last article I read on the eagle owl 'nationality' question:-

http://darrennaish.blogspot.com/2006/06/british-eagle-owls-update.html

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

British eagle owls: an update

Yesterday I visited Bernie to compare dead stag beetles (go here for more on this) and to collect both my dead Fire salamander Salamandra salamandra, and an assortment of old stuffed birds (all of which are needed for a project on foot claw morphology: more on that in the future). While at his house I noticed that the February edition of Bird Watching magazine – which I often look at in the shops but never buy – includes an article by Adrian Thomas on Eagle owls Bubo bubo in Britain. The cover states ‘What is Europe’s top hunter doing in the UK?’. An article on British eagle owls has also recently appeared in The Palaeontological Association Newsletter (McGowan 2006) and several web sites, including those of the RSPB and World Owl Trust (WOT), have also provided new, updated information on this subject within recent months. In a previous post I introduced this subject, and because new information is now available, it’s an appropriate time for an update.

In the previous post I noted how a recent BBC TV programme (which I now learn was titled Return of the Eagle Owl) made the incredible claim that there might be as many as 500 pairs abroad in this country. Unfortunately I missed the relevant programme, and this claim came to me as a pers. comm. from someone who saw it. Well, here’s a good demonstration of why you shouldn’t necessarily trust pers. comms. Read on.

The best known British eagle owls are a pair in the Yorkshire Dales that successfully bred on Ministry of Defence land in the spring of 2005. They’ve actually been breeding since 1997, or possibly 1996, and have managed to raise 23 chicks during this time. Thomas (2006) mentioned ‘two other confirmed breeding pairs in the UK’ (p. 13) and noted that there are possibly more, and it has also been brought to attention that pairs in Galloway, Invernesshire and Sutherland have also been confirmed as breeders. It’s unlikely that the ‘500 pairs’ is anywhere near likely therefore, nor was this figure mentioned in Return of the Eagle Owl, so don’t take it seriously!

Already some of the chicks of the Yorkshire pair have moved far afield, with one of them having been reported from Shropshire (where it was electrocuted on power lines). As Tommy Tyrberg noted in a comment on the previous post, eagle owls aren’t really birds of ‘surviving vestiges of wilderness, immune from human exploitation’ as it says in Birds of the Western Palearctic, but are actually quite happy living close to people. Populations in The Netherlands and Sweden are doing ok close to noisy quarries, in working farmland, and in and around rubbish dumps. Britain is a small place with no wilderness at all, and evidence for humans and their recent activity is everywhere, so the adaptability of the eagle owl, and its success on the continent despite human activity, certainly suggests that it’ll do fine in this country.

Having said that, in January 2006 came the disappointing news that the female of the Yorkshire pair had been killed, with its death apparently occurring just before Christmas. Autopsy showed that the shot used was large-gauge like that used to shoot foxes, and not small-gauge like that used for hunting gamebirds (thus probably ruling out a case of mistaken identity). The bird had an empty stomach, and thus may have starved to death after being shot. If eagle owls are colonising our islands naturally, this is a sad loss of an important individual. The killing may also have been illegal – ultimately this depends on whether or not the bird was here ‘naturally’ – and the North Yorkshire Police are pursuing enquiries.

Thomas (2006) also provided some new discussion on the source of origin of the British eagle owls: might they be vagrants that are naturally colonising Britain from continental Europe? He noted two pieces of evidence that might support this hypothesis. Firstly, Return of the Eagle Owl looked at the research of raptor conservationist Roy Dennis, and his examination of 18th and 19th century eagle owl records in Britain shows that the birds were mostly reported between September and January – the time ‘when one might expect vagrants to arrive’ (Thomas 2006, p. 15).

Secondly, ornithologists monitoring eagle owls in Switzerland have shown that the birds can move as far as 350 km, passing obstacles such as major mountain ranges as they go. A hop across the English Channel may therefore seem no trouble at all, and indeed we know that some European owls, like Long-eared owls Asio otus and Short-eared owls A. flammeus, cross bodies of water like the North Sea regularly.

Thomas (2006) countered that sedentary European birds seem to find the English Channel and/or the North Sea an insurmountable barrier: Black woodpeckers Dryocopus martius don’t cross the channel for example, even though their range approaches the French coastline. Similarly, Eurasian pygmy owls Glaucidium passerinum – widespread in Scandivania where they range right up to the North Sea coastline – have never colonised Britain. Ural owls Strix uralensis and Great grey owls S. nebulosa are widespread in Sweden, but also haven’t colonised Britain. Tawny owls S. aluco don’t cross the Irish Sea. However, just because these species are sedentary doesn’t mean that eagle owls have to be too. As the Long-eared and Short-eared owls show, rules on dispersal capability vary among species and there isn’t a single rule that applies to all Strigidae. The possibility that British eagle owls are natural colonisers is therefore worthy of consideration and needs more investigation.

Tony Warburton of the World Owl Trust has written a piece (go here) on the WOT’s position. They are confident that the British eagle owls are natural colonisers, and that confirmation of eagle owl breeding in Britain is news akin to that of the reintroduction of the White-tailed eagle Haliaeetus albicilla or the successful increase in Red kite Milvus milvus numbers. The WOT also contends that the British Ornithologists Union should now add Eurasian eagle owl to the official British bird list and that they should receive full protection.

What does the BOU say about this? In a 1996 review of the eagle owl’s status in Britain, they concluded that insufficient evidence was available to accept the species on the British list (they concluded that the 90 reports they examined were either not definitely of Bubo bubo, or might have been of birds that had escaped from captivity). So far as I can tell, they are watching the situation but are not yet prepared to be as positive as the WOT is about possible native status. Similarly, the RSPB is being cautious: they say that they would be more than happy to accept the species as a native, but compelling evidence that demonstrates this has yet to be produced (go here for their statement).

We have some more news on fossils. I noted in the previous post that Giles (2006) drew attention to John Stewart’s mention of possible post-glacial eagle owl fossils. In The Palaeontological Association Newsletter article mentioned above, Al McGowan (2006) also mentioned Stewart’s interest in this subject and, even better, discussed and figured an eagle owl carpometacarpus from post-glacial deposits near Cheddar, Somerset. This provides powerful support for the natural presence of the species in modern Britain (‘modern’ in the geological sense you understand). You can see McGowan’s article here.

Of course, if our eagle owls have gotten here naturally, they would be protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. Any impact that they have on other British animals – and as discussed in the previous post they might affect raptor numbers as well as those of Black grouse Tetrao tetrix – will be something we can record, but not intervene in. Conversely, if it can be shown that the British eagle owls were bred in captivity and later released, they don’t deserve protection and an argument could be made that they should be removed.

Given the balance of evidence, my feeling at the moment is that at least some of our eagles owls have gotten here themselves. We await further news.

The photo above is from The Palaeontological Association website and was taken at the Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park (Devon) by Adrian Pingstone.

For more on owls (focusing on their asymmetrical ears) go here.

Refs - -

Giles, J. 2006. Bird lovers keep sharp eye on owls. Nature 439, 127.

McGowan, A. 2006. Should eagle owls be considered native to the UK? The Palaeontological Association Newsletter 61, 21-23.

Thomas, A. 2006. Where eagles dare. Bird Watching Feb’ 2006, 12-18.

An Eagle Owl in captivity at the Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, North Devon, England. Escapes of captive owls are thought to be the source of populations such as the one in Yorkshire. Photo taken by Adrian Pingstone in July 2004 and released to the public domain.

An excellent example of why conservation biology should pay attention to the fossil record is the heated debate generated by the BBC ‘Natural World’ programme on the eagle owls of Yorkshire (16th November 2005), and a follow-up article in the December issue of the BBC Wildlife Magazine. Indications from ringing studies are that eagle owls have started to breed in the area. Having experienced the reintroduction of two raptor species to Scotland, the osprey and the white-tailed (sea) Eagle, I expected the eagle owl to be welcomed, and reports of this species breeding in the UK as a conservation success. However, there has been some ambivalence towards the appearance of these large predators. They are impressive, with a six-foot wingspan, but there was concern that they might affect other birds of prey in the area, both indirectly by competing for food, and directly by predating the smaller raptors. Invasive species are a major concern to conservation biology, with invasion biology representing a specialist, and growing subdiscipline. Examples of biological invasions that have entered the wider culture would include the grey squirrel, zebra mussels, and mitten crabs. In Australia the introduction of the cane toad proved to be a major mistake, despite the worthy aim of attempted biocontrol of pests.

I don’t wish to rehash the arguments that have broken out over the Yorkshire eagle owls. A web search will reveal the acrimony over both the programme, and the wider issue of what constitutes a ‘native’ species. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) has felt compelled to issue a clarification of their position on their website. Their statement is well considered, and mentions a range of sources they have examined, including the fossil record. The crux of the eagle owl story is that the British Ornithological Union (BOU) have indicated that, based on their records, they do not regard the eagle owl as part of the native UK avifauna. They acknowledge that eagle owls have escaped and are capable of surviving in the wild in the UK, and may be establishing breeding populations. The BOU has a scheme for coding birds, and the current evidence has been ruled insufficient to include the eagle owl in categories A–C, the ‘British List’. The criteria for inclusion on this list can be found at this website.

However there is a wider point at stake in all of this, which we, as palaeontologists, should be interested in; namely the role of fossils in deciding whether a species is native. It struck me that eagle owls probably had a fossil record in the UK, and a trip three floors down to see Andy Currant led me to what I was looking for. I thank Andy for his help with this article. Mine was not the first enquiry about the eagle owl. He had already taken about ten calls from members of the public on the subject. A specimen, on loan to the Natural History Museum (NHM) from Wells Museum, has been identified by the late Wilfred Jackson as Bubo bubo. Other workers agree with this identification. The specimen is from post-glacial deposits, near Cheddar in Somerset. This find partly contradicts the RSPB statement, which does specifically mention breeding populations, but raises the question of how many more specimens are either already in museum collections, or preserved in cave deposits.

I consulted some palaeornithologists for further information. Dr John Stewart, a visiting scientist to the NHM with a strong interest in palaeornithology, is doing some active research on the issue. His view was that the eagle owl is missing from a similar area of NW Europe as the white-tailed (sea) eagle and osprey. Human persecution has probably played a major role in excluding the Eagle Owl from the most populous parts of NW Europe, although its range is expanding rapidly through Belgium and Holland. John explained this was not the first time the fossil record had been called upon to adjudicate about an issue of public concern. The spread of cormorants inland was viewed as unnatural by some people involved in stocking ponds for angling. The fossil record of cormorants in the UK shows that they ranged inland long before the stocking of flooded gravel pits for anglers.

Figure 2. Radius and ulna of an Eagle Owl from a post-glacial site near Cheddar in Somerset. The specimen is about 100mm long. Thanks to Andy Currant for help with photographing this specimen. CORRECTION! The bones featured are the carpometacarpus, not the radius and ulna. Thanks to G. Dyke for pointing out my error.

Dr Jo Cooper, another palaeornithologist based at Tring, where much of the NHM bird collection is housed, also spoke to me about the Eagle Owl story. She had already had around half a dozen enquiries about the eagle owls. Her view concurred with that of John, and she pointed out just how large, and frankly scary, an eagle owl is to most people (see this website for a ‘shaggy owl’ story). Jo also told me that the Swedes have begun to adopt an approach to bird listing that encompasses historical records and the fossil record of extant birds.

I think that as palaeontologists we should be pushing for a ‘deep time’ view of these matters. Change over time, local extinction and range re-expansion are part of the palaeontological worldview, and I think the palaeontological viewpoint has something to offer in these debates. Periodically there are schemes for re-introducing large mammals such as the wolf, the beaver, and the lynx to the Scottish Highlands. These reintroductions are backed by abundant fossil evidence and historical documentation to prove that these animals are ‘native’. Shouldn’t the whole fauna and flora receive similar scrutiny?

A depressing postscript to this article is that a female Eagle Owl living in the area featured in the BBC documentary was later shot, and died of starvation due to losing the ability to fly. Another data point for John Stewart’s persecution theory.

Al McGowan Natural History Museum, London.

This is the email correspondance between Jimmy White and DEFRA which confirms the legal protection of european eagle owls in Britain:-

Jimmy White / Defra

Subject: eagle owls

dear sir, after watching the most interesting programme on bbc2 on wed, about eagle owls. i am confused at the remark made by mr ewan ,rspb. concerning these birds being not wanted here as they dont belong here.and yet in the 2004 wild life and countryside act, section 27, it states that if a bird is born in the wild here, it certainly belongs here. i wonder if you would be kind enough to enlighten me,on this subject. thanking you , yours faithfully james white.

-------------

Dear James,

yes, I believe I can answer that question. Firstly, I'm not surprised at the confusion this programme has caused you, as it was not very clear.

Just to clarify, not all birds that breed in the wild are 'wild birds' in the legal sense, and that being the case, one could in practice kill, harm, destroy etc. these species without fear of prosecution.

Defra's policy concerning what constitutes a 'wild bird' and what doesn't, partly follows guidance from the BOU (British Ornithological Union). It is acknowledged that no genuine record of a truly wild Eagle Owl has appeared in Britain (i.e. its not on BOU's Category 'A','B' or 'C'). There are, of course, a few escapees/ released birds about the country, including the breeding birds shown in the programme, and there have been a number of historic claims (personally, I would regard these as largely referring to Long-eared Owl). So, from the BOU's perspective, these Eagle Owls are not 'wild birds'.

Not looking good so far, however...

The legal definition of a 'wild bird' is that provided in s.27 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981. It is under this Law that I expect that Defra could accept that these Eagle Owls are 'wild birds'. This is because the definition of 'wild birds' was amended by the 'Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2004', changing the definition to any species living anywhere within the EU (even if it doesn't occur in Britain !) So, although not native to Britain, but are widespread over Continental Europe, the Eagle Owls in Yorkshire are protected, and their eggs, nests etc. cannot be destroyed, damaged etc. - despite what Steve Dudley of the BTO said on the programme.

These days, Britain plays host to thousands of non-native species, some detrimental (e.g. Japanese Knot-weed), some with mixed affects to our environment (e.g. Buddleia) and some are quite benign (e.g. Little Owls - yes, these were introduced !). This is why Law and policy has different attitudes to different species.

At present, Defra does not have a policy on Eagle Owls, and I don't think Defra intends to make one soon. Doubtlessly interesting these Eagle Owls are, in the grand scheme of things they are considered to have negligible impact on the local environment, and consequently are not at the top of the list of things Defra needs to consider right now.

Rest assured though, if anyone wished to take or harm the Eagle Owls, they would need to apply for a licence, possibly from our team (National Wildlife Management Team, under guidance from Defra policy, the European Wildlife Division).

Killing, harming, damaging nests & eggs etc of these Eagle Owls could be considered an offence, and could result in a heavy fine or imprisonment.

Hope this helps,

Ivan Lakin (Wildlife Adviser & Ecologist)

Defra's National Wildlife Management Team

Found an interesting parallel from one of Bart's links: an english osprey makes it to Norway. Highly probable then Eagle Owls made it from Northern Europe to Britain, as the TV programme suggested?

http://birdwatchmagazine.blogspot.com/2007/08/english-osprey-makes-it-to-norway.html

An osprey's young that are born here fledge and migrate as far as South Africa then return when they are two years old, does this make them vagrants in South Africa, NO the RSPB are hot on the heals of anyone who shoot these birds while migrating, especially across Spain and the African nations who will kill and eat anyting

Just taken this from Pigeonchat:

STEVE HOLE

SILVER MEDAL

SO FOR THE BENIFIT TO PIGEON FANCIERS UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY, ME AND KAREN WERE TALKING TO A FANCIER THAT HAS JUST DISCOVERED THAT THE YELLOW FLASHERS FROM THE ROADWORKS KEEP THE HAWKES AWAY, HE TOLD US THAT HE USED TO GET REGULAR HAWK STRIKES IN THE GARDEN AND SINCE HE STARTED USEING THE FLASHER HE HAS NOT SEEN THE HAWK, SOUNDS FEESABLE SO MAYBE SOME OF YOU WHO SUFFER WITH HAWKES COULD TRY IT. YOU NEVER KNOW ?

Interesting one.  :)  Have we any information on how the fancier came to this conclusion, and how it is used?  Is it only in a sparrowhawk / loft setting, or could a transporter equipped with these on the roof ward off potential peregrine attacks?