Hawks

celtic

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I FIND IT VERY INTRESTING ABOUT PEOPLE SUGGESTING TO LET EAGLE OWLS GO FREE ,

SADLY THE WRONG THING TO DO ,THESE BIRDS ARE VERY DANGEROUS AND TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN ,THESE WILL ATTACK ANYBODY GIVEN THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES ,NESTING NEEDING FOOD THEY WILL ATTACK ANY OLD LADY/MAN WALKING A DOG IF THEY NEED FOOD,

PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK THE EAGLE OWLS IN THE PROGRAMME WHERE OF FOREIGN BIRDS .THESE BIRDS WHERE CAPTIVE BRED RELEASED BIRDS WHICH THE POST-MORTEM SHOWED .I AGREE I FIND IT VERY SAD THAT SOME IDIOT SHOT THE FEMALE ,HAVING PERSONALLY STUDIED THESE BIRDS FOR YEARS

HAVING BEEN THE KEEPER OF EAGLE OWLS FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS ,I CAN ASSURE YOU ,YOU WOULDNT WANT ONE OF THESE SAT ON YOUR PIGEON LOFT.OR FLYING AT YOU TO ATTACK YOUR DOG

MY LOFT ALSO COMES UNDER ATTACK FROM SPARROWHAWKS ON A REGULAR BASIS ,IVE TRIED USING MY EAGLE OWL SAT IN MY GARDEN WHILST EXERCISING MY PIGEONS ,YES THE SPARROWHAWK SEES THE EAGLE OWL BUT DOES NOT DETERE THE SPARROWHAWK KILLING OTHER BIRDS LIKE SPARROWS STARLINGS ETC.

YES THE POPULATION IN BRITAIN IS GETTING MORE EAGLE OWLS OUT THERE ,BUT THESE ARE NOT VISITING BRITAIN THERE RELEASED BY IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE WHO NORMALLY BUY THEIR KIDS ONE AND DONT REALISE THEY HAVE GOT A KILLING MACHINE ON THEIR HANDS UNTILL ITS TO LATE THEN THEY THINK I KNOW LETS RELEASE IT CAUSING CHAOS . 8)

this is not only part of the eagle owl's nature in protecting its young ,, there are many british birds do exactly the same  [remember this is an owl and comes out at night mostly, like any other owls and are very private birds]  the seagulls the rspb shot at musselburgh[or gave permission to shoot ,, as they were attacking people are exactly the same,,crows will dive at people as well as will many others ,,,,,,now to say these birds are not visiting Britain is rubbish , it has been proved that these birds can fly here, from Denmark down to Belgium , and as some top ornithologists state,, they are actually native to Britain ,, but the rspb disagree with this  :-/ i wonder why ,,,,but there's no doubt that the ybs born here are british birds and should come under the same protection as any other british bird

may i ask ,do your pigeons get attacked around the loft ,

what deterants do you use around your loft

its not round the loft that is the main worry its flying home from a race in batches ,, its well known that the peregrine prefers the batch and takes delight in the singling out one bird and killing it, whilst the rest of the batch have been so terrified that most of them have have injured themselves flying in to anything and every thing ,,AS I WITTNESSED more than once

plenty of feral pigeons in me work ,a lot look really healthy but they are ecceptions to the rule,  a lot of badly reared young birds (RUNTS) that seem to be hawk bait picked them up off the ground full of canker that much that it was choocking them that amongst other diseases ,they are preyed upon by haks ,crows and seagulls and once they have finished the magpies get their bit as well .

this is more to the point ,, most adult feral pigeons are quite healthy ,, its the y b,s that are runts, not been reared right etc , these the birds  birds usually succumb to infection, mostly canker ,, nature soon rids itself of these birds as they are eaten by sparrow hawks and such like ,as posted above ,,,,i havea bridge near me, in the country , where these country ferals are in tip top condition , and they have to fly for their food , and beleive me , they do    

jimmy firstly just because a pair of eagle owls breed over here ,mostly i would say are off captive bred birds ,thats why they are not classified as british birds.

secondly i agree totaly with you that britain has in the past had the eagle owl which i also believe was probably killed off by farmers land owners for their feathers for decoration in one way or another .

but theres a difference between a eagle owl attacking you and a crow or seagull ,a eagle owl has 40 pounds of pressure per square inch in its feet  when it locks onto you ,believe me when they grab they grab ,and are very difficult to get them to let go now you imagine a little kid getting grabbed by one never mind a adult. thats why i say its very dangerous for people to be saying lets go release some eagle owls.and thats not even mentioning about the talons but a good female eagle owl 6lbs of killing machine as big as a small child been hit by one of these ,thats why there at the top of the food chain nothing hunts eagle owls only man,

this is more to the point ,, most adult feral pigeons are quite healthy ,, its the y b,s that are runts, not been reared right etc , these the birds  birds usually succumb to infection, mostly canker ,, nature soon rids itself of these birds as they are eaten by sparrow hawks and such like ,as posted above ,,,,i havea bridge near me, in the country , where these country ferals are in tip top condition , and they have to fly for their food , and beleive me , they do    

Quite right,my 2 pet ferrals were here years before my show birds and I was more worried about them catching something from the show birds!!.The 2 ferrals have never ailed a thing and are far more motivated and inteligent than your average racing pigeon.

jimmy firstly just because a pair of eagle owls breed over here ,mostly i would say are off captive bred birds ,thats why they are not classified as british birds.

secondly i agree totaly with you that britain has in the past had the eagle owl which i also believe was probably killed off by farmers land owners for their feathers for decoration in one way or another .

but theres a difference between a eagle owl attacking you and a crow or seagull ,a eagle owl has 40 pounds of pressure per square inch in its feet  when it locks onto you ,believe me when they grab they grab ,and are very difficult to get them to let go now you imagine a little kid getting grabbed by one never mind a adult. that's why i say its very dangerous for people to be saying lets go release some eagle owls.and thats not even mentioning about the talons but a good female eagle owl 6lbs of killing machine as big as a small child been hit by one of these ,that's why there at the top of the food chain nothing hunts eagle owls only man,

with due respect eagle owl,, if any bird is bred in the wild , in Britain, is classed as a British bird, so im afraid your first paragraph is wrong [this is stated by the rspb]

again with due respect your second paragraph is saying they are native to Britain

once more with due respect , although these birds have lived in the wild in Britain,,for a number of years now,, how many reports are on record as to eagle owls attacking babies , humans etc compared to other large type birds ,, you would know the eagle owl comes out at night,[like all owls ], nests in the most remotest of spots, same as peregrines, and without meaning to sound arrogant,, i couldnt see many people taking their pram and baby through a cliff faced quarry in the dark,, i understand your feelings on releasing captive birds ,[these birds can be tame and unafraid of humans] , but wild eagle owls are in fact like many British birds , actually frightened of humans, as they probably know man is their only enemy [as you say] [somewhere on the photos column on pb you will see a pic of me with a tame eagle owl on my arm ], but can understand your feelings on the release of tame birds

with due respect eagle owl,, if any bird is bred in the wild , in Britain, is classed as a British bird, so im afraid your first paragraph is wrong [this is stated by the rspb]

again with due respect your second paragraph is saying they are native to Britain

once more with due respect , although these birds have lived in the wild in Britain,,for a number of years now,, how many reports are on record as to eagle owls attacking babies , humans etc compared to other large type birds ,, you would know the eagle owl comes out at night,[like all owls ], nests in the most remotest of spots, same as peregrines, and without meaning to sound arrogant,, i could see many people taking their pram and baby through a cliff faced quarry in the dark,, i understand your feelings on releasing captive birds ,[these birds can be tame and unafraid of humans] , but wild eagle owls are in fact like many British birds , actually frightened of humans, as they probably know man is their only enemy [as you say] [somewhere on the photos column on pb you will see a pic of me with a tame eagle owl on my arm ], but can understand your feelings on the release of tame birds

well if i wild hacked say my golden eagle with my bald eagle and they bred two youngsters are the rspb going to say there british birds so are protected by law no way they would probably want them shot.

yes i believe in the past century eagle owls have been on this island ,as been recorded  of sighting and records state which would make the eagle owl a native british bird

eagle owls will hunt happily during day light hours

and i have never said theres a picture of me on pb with a tame eagle owl on my arm.

eagle owls will live along side man anywhere theres a food chain for them ,same as peregrines will live among people as they do in new york nesting on windows on those large eye sores.

all i was saying its not very sensible to release eagle owls in to the wild as some people where suggesting ,

i am agreeing with you eagle owl,, as i said in my last sentence,, but the wild ones are wild therefore british birds with the same protection ,, and the strange thing is , as the law says, and the rspb says, [allthough i doubt if they would adhere to the law,which they havent  been doing for sometime now] that if that cross you say, even if escapees , if the yb,s are bred in the wild they would be termed as British wild birds [or maybe i should say ,, they should be ??] and should have the same protection

Yep so if 20 pairs were released within a short time of each other and met and bred, the RSPB would be culling I think and there would be the likes of Bill ODDIE - CAN'T stand him - spouting what a terrible evil hey were.

Not like when he spouts that pigeons are of benefi... 'As hawk food only'!

well jimmy so ferral pigeons now come under (british bird) i think its time we all packed inn

XTCCOCK. Without our resident British ferals, i doubt if you would have pigeons at all! These so called "ferals" have been the "guinea pigs" for many, many years., subjected to any disease  that  may damage the normal avian population. They are also the main diet of most predatory birds, (Thank Heavens). I have had racing pigeons for 55 years now, but still have respect for our feral birds. Handle a "corky light" feral  and try to get your own "fatties" in such good flying condition. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  

Would make RSPB [and others] day if we released eagle owls into the wild. They would have a field day with anti-pigeon and anti-pigeon fanciers propaganda in the press.

Aye it would be great bruno if there were plenty of them to be released, know they are breeding here but not fast enough

Would make RSPB [and others] day if we released eagle owls into the wild. They would have a field day with anti-pigeon and anti-pigeon fanciers propaganda in the press.

you are right there sadly the rspb like the rspca are dictators and are only willing to see there side of things ,regardles what effect it has on any other birds ,

thats why all the little song birds are now missing due to the sparrowhawk,

yet there still breeding and releasing them into the wild to kill anything that moves

XTCCOCK. Without our resident British ferals, i doubt if you would have pigeons at all! These so called "ferals" have been the "guinea pigs" for many, many years., subjected to any disease  that  may damage the normal avian population. They are also the main diet of most predatory birds, (Thank Heavens). I have had racing pigeons for 55 years now, but still have respect for our feral birds. Handle a "corky light" feral  and try to get your own "fatties" in such good flying condition. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  

Is that what you race then vic? maybe thats your problem . ;D ;D

Aye it would be great bruno if there were plenty of them to be released, know they are breeding here but not fast enough

No quick fix here Tam. Its taken maybe 30 years of RSPB re-introductions - hundreds of so called 'conservation projects' - for birds of prey to reach current levels in UK. Don't know how long eagle owls have been here, or how many there are out there, but I think it'll be same timescale before we notice a big drop in hawk numbers ..

Veteran of the Loft!!

Posts: 734 When is something going to be done about the hawk problem ? and yes i am talking from personal expierience having lost 18/20 well trained yb/s in one toss last week, something has to be done to get the message across, would any other sport take a back seat and accept it as we do ?, gutted about these do-gooders at the rspb and there consistant going on that hawks need protecting !!!

What about our pigeons ?????

Celtic

"Our revenge will be the laughter of our children"

Veteran of the Loft!!

Posts: 734 When is something going to be done about the hawk problem ? and yes i am talking from personal expierience having lost 18/20 well trained yb/s in one toss last week, something has to be done to get the message across, would any other sport take a back seat and accept it as we do ?, gutted about these do-gooders at the rspb and there consistant going on that hawks need protecting !!!

Celtic

Well in 7 years of flying out the only birds they never caught were my 2 ferrals,too quick,fit,healthy and inteligent.

Veteran of the Loft!!

Celtic

that lot wont be happy until they wipe-out the pigeon game and kill all the song birds!!

majorpet