young birds(how many?)

DUBLINFLYER

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mate, i try and sex them when they are 30 days old, not always right mind.

I have total belief in my birds but me and Raymond have to test as many birds as possible so that they can be offered with knowledge and confidence.

Stuart

P.S. i could do what most do, say they breed 40 and never lose a bird even though there lofts are 50 ft long ;)

Sorry if this is a stupid Q,how do you know which is which in the nest bowl?

andrecrock

Hi Andre,

I have used the toe method for sexing young birds in the nest and it has always proved 90% right for me.

What you do is hold youngster in the palm of your hand facing you, Pull leg out behind and gently push the two outside front toes together from the ball of the foot towards the middle toe. Try noy to have a bias. Hens will have both outside toes the same length. Cocks will have inside toe longer than outside toe. Needs a bit of practice but is a good indicator and 90% accurate

I suppose its how much confidence you have in your stock, Or maybe your just hope by breeding a lot

you will end up successful.

This an extract from a question and awnser article i have been reading on Ad Schaerlaeckens - Your comment just made me think about it - Food for thought maybe.

Q: Dear Mr. Ad,

If you say that most champions are products of crosses; can you please explain your theory or opinion in breeding a champion or an ace-pigeon?

How would you rank the following- luck, smart guess, hunch, pedigree, size, eye-theory, left-right tail pairings, and etc. Would you explain> the basics.

Thank you and more power.

Yours in Sport,

VAN

A: Dear Mr Van,

- Eye theory is B.S.

- Left-Right tail pairings is B.S.

Nobody will be able to answer your question. Why do the champions in Holland and Belgium breed so many birds, sometimes

hundreds? Because they do not know !!!!!!!!! I just read an article of a young reporter. You know what struck him?

That all the champions he had met admitted they did not know how to breed good birds. And he mentioned the names of Meulemens, Houben, Janssen Bros, Klak, Louis van Loon. You know what Adriaan Janssen from Arendonk used to say? If you have a pair that gave one super all those years they were mated then you have a super breeding pair. I know fanciers that have 30 to 60 breeding pairs. You can imagine how many babies a year they can breed. But I do not know of any fancier in the whole world, not even the greatest champion, who breeds 3 super birds per year. 3 Super birds per year would mean 12 super birds in 4 years' time. If you would know about such a man please give me name and address so that I can ask him to send me the results of this 13th best bird. What you should do to become a champion? Breed many babies, race many babies and eliminate many babies. After some years I advise to eliminate the bad ones, sell the good ones and keep the supers!

Good luck.

© Ad Schaerlaeckens

Reproduced by pigeonglobe.co.uk with written permission of copyright owner Ad Schaerlaeckens.

We originally set our thing on having 30 young birds but i think it will now be nearer 70 to race as we have around 36 coming in.

We have just redone the two young bird section out with 80 Pipo's but may yet be able to use the 16ft stock section depending on how many go to the partners loft.

Out the 70 we will  look to retain about 18 cocks and so many hens ??

I think we are breeding around 40 for others, either gifts, exchanges or charity sales.

Guest The main Mahon

I will be breeding 15, that will do me for the full yb season. I did the same last season and still have 8 left. If I still have 8 left out of next years yb's I will have to have a clear out as I only keep a maximum of 18 birds in total. That includes old birds, young birds and my 3 stock birds.

Guest cloudview

i,ll rear approx 60 young,uns    , sell about half off them  , another  10 to charity breeder

buyer ,s  like to start racing with about 24 , as this no just fits nice in my training crates

Hi Andre,

I have used the toe method for sexing young birds in the nest and it has always proved 90% right for me.

What you do is hold youngster in the palm of your hand facing you, Pull leg out behind and gently push the two outside front toes together from the ball of the foot towards the middle toe. Try noy to have a bias. Hens will have both outside toes the same length. Cocks will have inside toe longer than outside toe. Needs a bit of practice but is a good indicator and 90% accurate

Another one, thou I would never bet my house on it etc but then that's just me I'm afraid. Round eggs hens & pointy eggs cocks, 90% accurate so the man said  in his wisdom (smile smile) when he said it, But then !!!!!!!!!!!!! he was a Yank ??????????? at least for the last 25 years etc & also was an eye sign expert, so all I can say is "Make up your own mind".

Enjoy.