advice on sparrowhawks needed please

DJ

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try an orange hollowed out and one of them small candles lit inside, use a few of them on and around your loft close enough to look like giant owl eyes, supposed to work a treat.  

what the frig are you on mate, what if its a windy day ya nut

or raining stick to sewing  friging mail bags or something useful you would burn the house down you :'( :X :X

i live in wellington somerset and theres birds of prey every where round here

my loft is in a compound and i have wire netting all round the compound high up

higher than the loft , i have mine on a open hole as much as i can ok your going to have

some been taken but the rest get street wise very quickly and my losses are about 2 or 3 a season

cheers kev d

Hi Kev I agree, the birds that learn are the ones to keep and breed from. However I do think it depends on the the time of year, in the first two seasons down here I bred early and I was losing 4/5 a week in February/march then quiet. Lats year I bred later feb 14 and it made a big difference (old birds kept in september to april) this year not mated yet, ob not out since september

once the hawk has had a kill  and eaten the bird  at your shed, it dose not usually come back to the place it has killed  for a few days, it seeks out new territory as it is a surprise attack that they use, the hen hawk  will return,  but most of the  time three days later when all's forgotten :o

Said it before on here and I,ll say it again.. The clue is in the name ..SPARROWhawk... This tells us that taking a bird of pigeon size is totaly against nature. Also the most dangerous time for pigeon fanciers is when there are LARGE young hawks in the nest as the hen can now leave them to hunt. It is the hen spar that mainly catches pigeons. Young spars need most feeding around( May_June) late spring hence the more persistant attacks on our nieve Y.B.s. The ONLY  solution is removal of the offender and then continuose removal of any that fills its space( nature hates a void). They will take pigeons in flight exercising around the loft, but prefer ambush techniques. The reason that they now take our pigeons is that the species has reached plague proportions and there is not enough easy food( song birds) left anymore and also they have no fear of man. Remember the word SPARROW not pigeonhawk.... However to remove one permanantlly is not the hardest trick in the book..  Raptors sit on the bottom of the avian intelligence register. P.M. for more info.

well said WALTER your bang on the money  our goverment is so full of crap listening to these European directives and putting them in place while the rest of europe do the sensable thing and ignore them  unless they are getting our money

cheers Alan

Never mind the 'Goverment/ thing, all been the same since 1955!!! :o :o

No votes, and greasy palms nodd nodd and wink wink. NO VOTES in it for them! No meadia Coverage for them. NOT a 'Cause to fight! No one in the public KNOWS! and those that do 'DON'T Care'! So whay ny one thinks a goverment / M P would give a fickled rat's behind not only mystifys me, but borders on ignorance of their codes. Every time a case of cruelty is mention in the 'Media' the RSPCA /RSPB and out getting known and shaking their money tins! And lapping up the limelight and media coverage.... Never mind that do nowt in between, Joe  Public doesn't know or care!!!

But if it was a 'Cause' to have a 'Wagon' rolling as a vote catcher, attension enabling venture, then many MP's would rally to the cause.... But then why should they care? :-/ :-/

We and other concerns affected don't! :B

what the frig are you on mate, what if its a windy day ya nut

or raining stick to sewing  friging mail bags or something useful you would burn the house down you :'( :X :X

im getting sick of you bigda, if you cant speak civilly shut your mouth.   the oranges is an excellent deterrant used by many in parts of england to protect their doos.  wind wont affect the candle either you goon, the hollowed out orange and short stubby candle is designed to take that into account.   how many people leave their birds out in the rain?   :-/    tick tock, tick tock   ;)

im getting sick of you bigda, if you cant speak civilly shut your mouth.   the oranges is an excellent deterrant used by many in parts of england to protect their doos.  wind wont affect the candle either you goon, the hollowed out orange and short stubby candle is designed to take that into account.   how many people leave their birds out in the rain?   :-/    tick tock, tick tock   ;)

im no jumpin to bigda's defence here , but we live in the west of scotland , im further west than most, it's not a case of leaving the birds out in the rain , it's always bl@@dy raining here, but if this works then good and whoever has prob's with  the sp/wk they should give it a try instead of rubbishing it,and if it does'nt work then come on and let everybody know.

im no jumpin to bigda's defence here , but we live in the west of scotland , im further west than most, it's not a case of leaving the birds out in the rain , it's always bl@@dy raining here, but if this works then good and whoever has prob's with  the sp/wk they should give it a try instead of rubbishing it,and if it does'nt work then come on and let everybody know.

lol,  i know it hisses it down up with you in Scotland, not much better in Wales m8, this does work trust me, and rain won't put the candle out unless its hammering down and then most won't have birds out even up with you.    I found an alternative is to use them laser pens you can buy with petrol, they have them that flash several miles into sky, I made them waterproof and pinned them on shed and leave them flash when hawks come.   I have fancy birds including some insane tumblers who have 'eat me' on their heads and they haven't been jumped on since using this.   Never going to say the methods are going to be foolproof, but its an option.   :)

garage by me stopped selling them now but i have one i'll take a photo of and will upload it here so you can see if you can get same, worth a try.

listen mate as you are not a pigeon fancier :X, and again i have to keep you right, your are talking mince man, :'( in the first place most  dookets  roofs have  felt on them and are tinder dry

and only a idiot no brainer would   suggest  and try something like that, you stick to your sewing, as your knowledge is :X limited, and  we don't need text  from a book  ;D

it's a known fact sparrowhawks hunt at times and places where they have been most successful,returning there time and time again.so in my view fanciers letting their birds out regular at this time of year are asking for trouble.Racers are not fit enough at this time of the year so there chances of escape are nil.The hen is feeding herself up at this time of the year because when she goes onto eggs in mid april she sits the full incubation period (32 to 42 days) thats how fanciers get a bit of respite  from april thro may.A sparrowhawk that is still attacking a loft thro this time is most likeley to be an unpaired hen

not that many sparrows left that's why they are going the doos

i once put bread out for the birds 2 years ago  then  after 3 days go out and lift it all up as there are not Manny birds about sparrows or  starlings  the  magpie has  heaired all the nests, and the hawk has decimated the rest  and that's about

as much as  there  is now and  i am lucky to see a black  bird haven't seen any since last year, may be this year ill see one  when my place used to be mobed with birds at one time  sad really :'(

i once put bread out for the birds 2 years ago  then  after 3 days go out and lift it all up as there are not Manny birds about sparrows or  starlings  the  magpie has  heaired all the nests, and the hawk has decimated the rest  and that's about

as much as  there  is now and  i am lucky to see a black  bird haven't seen any since last year, may be this year ill see one  when my place used to be mobed with birds at one time  sad really :'(

TAKE THAT PICTURE OF YOURSELF OFF THE DOOKIT AND THEY MIGHT COME BACK  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guest chrisss
listen mate as you are not a pigeon fancier :X, and again i have to keep you right, your are talking mince man, :'( in the first place most  dookets  roofs have  felt on them and are tinder dry

and only a idiot no brainer would   suggest  and try something like that, you stick to your sewing, as your knowledge is :X limited, and  we don't need text  from a book  ;D

???????????? sorry mate was you referring to me

• 2 weeks later...