Preparation for 500miles+

sapper756

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hotrod are you the only person ever to win a national from Port Glasgow. I go through there while attending Dunoon show and some performance to get a pigeon into there never mind win?? Sure I read somewhere that??

yes im the first but hopefully not the last through this way a lot of unbelievers through here mate if only they would  try

IB, very honest answer,amazed at some of the quotes regarding wing time and distance flown and also percentages homing from 550mls into west central scotland on the shift,myself have been racing and scoring snfc 500-680 mls for 30 years,doos on the shift at 550mls into west central scotland are like hens teeth [very scarce] just a wee point highlighting the hardship of distance racing into the west section with very few fanciers and birds achieving the ultimate goal!!! :)

alec i never said west central scotland i said central thats east to west read the post again mate

yes im the first but hopefully not the last through this way a lot of unbelievers through here mate if only they would  try

Some achievement. Very good. I am going to give National a go this season. Bought birds in for the distance so now try and learn all I can to go achieve my ambition. Just to get a bird on day/race time is what my ambition is to start with then onto trying to achieve positions on the result sheet.

Some achievement. Very good. I am going to give National a go this season. Bought birds in for the distance so now try and learn all I can to go achieve my ambition. Just to get a bird on day/race time is what my ambition is to start with then onto trying to achieve positions on the result sheet.

Very best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alec i never said west central scotland i said central thats east to west read the post again mate

hotrod read your post again and stand corrected with regards the geography,although the national gold cup returns on the shift  over the last 20-30 years have to say the least been poor.cheers alec. :)

I believe both. Without constition they fold, with out the love of home, constition isn't needed.

As I posted, when bringing in any new bird(s) their constition must be the first primary thing to go for. Now I believe that you may well find that in the eye. First thing one should always look at when entering the loft is their eyes. They will tell you straight off what condition they are in. Must be bright and alert. Yes sure different circles / time of day etc. may mean different variations of this. But they must read to you straight off.

When picking that pooler, often the one winking at you is the first home. Never had a sad looking eye first home ye. Indeed wouldn't send one now a days.

Also one must have confidence in the person that you are having the birds off.

Glad you had a good night old fella . You speak alot of sense in your post.  ;)

Haven't a clue where you got that interpretation from. To try and compare fanciers in different parts of the UK is stupid. The routes I think can be compared for different difficulties but not the fanciers. I think it is a biggoted view to believe you have beter fanciers than anywhere else where ever you live. I would be delighted to have a loft full of Hotrod's flying down here. But in terms of route, now I mention it, my birds have over a 100 mile of water to get over the way we fly scots birds tend to have only a small amount of water to contend with because your liberation points are more easterly.

I got my interpretation from what Roland said and not from your original post.

He claimed that he had been told that it was easier to win a National in Scotland as they are still feeding beans.

It was not I who compared fancier it was Roland. I simply defended the Scots.

In the case I have quoted I think I can make a comparison as the fancier is using the methods he used in Scotland and also the birds he took with him.

I appreciate that birds from different locations have different obstacles to overcome. In this instance his birds were more than capeable of the challenge. See both BHW and Squills Year Books 2009.

I had no intention of demeaning any fanciers or birds--simply defending those who had been belittled in the first instance.

It would be unfair to say Scottish birds only have a small stretch of water to cross as they cannot be guaranteed to navigate in a straight line. Oh how I wish I had some of those robot pigeons which did. I appreciate that when you say your birds cross 100 miles of water then that is the minimum distance.

I feel the water obstacle is less important now than the hawk infested mainland. We even have perigrines nesting on islands now as the mainland is so overcrowded.

I have tried the best of 700 milers into this area which have done only moderately well with respect to returns while my own keep coming.

It's very much horses for courses.

I got my interpretation from what Roland said and not from your original post.

He claimed that he had been told that it was easier to win a National in Scotland as they are still feeding beans.

It was not I who compared fancier it was Roland. I simply defended the Scots.

Aye a hard, some may say an impossible job that, defending the Scots eh!  ;):P :P ;D ;D

Now they have the Drum telegragh, they might not all use just beans. ;D ;D :( :(

But, on a serious note, Legumes are the most natural feed for a pigeon bar none. That is a fact. Grass gives Buffulo's, temedous power, but need 8 stuamachs to digest ... which pigeons haven't, the whale on plankton, Algae is brill, a pure sauce of natural energy. But wouldn't feed pigeons them - well sea - weed is great. But that is for oxygen. Now for over 30 years that has been substituted for blood, as it does the say job, carries the oxygen to the brain till the spleens have made up the blood loss etc. BUT all oygen has to have a the right combinations of 3 -4 different elements and only a slight variation. So again all and any thing must be in moderation.

Brewers Yeast has good benefits... can also cause toxin poisonto the system or YEAST trouble if over done... which counteracts any good by far, indeed can finish your race season.

Tap water kill any and all bateria  Good as well as bad... most still use it.

Logically any and every time a 'Remedy' is added to the water it should have been left standing over night, or from a spring or well even ... Some buy bottle water! I'm too tight to waste silly money on that!

So it was a mite tongue in cheek with that comment novice. But it was and still is often said, likewise still flying Kirkpatricks... and many are still winning with them.... But Strains, and what is so called pure, added is another topic altogether.

But then the 5 great name of a clever Scotsmans still eludes us all ... Was there one?  :-/ :-/ ;D ;D ;D

Talking about hen's teeth.  :)   Basically didn't have pigeons 1968 to 2001. When I was planning to start up, I noticed a lot of changes, one of which was fewER National results into 'extreme' west side of the country, Ayrshire. There was a name in Renfrewshire, and another I think, somewhere in Hotrod's area, Albert Oribine, his clearance sale was in early 2000's. I only knew of him through my cousin's friend, who had swopped birds with him, including a cock which had won Sartilly twice for Oribine. Only National winner (double national winner  :) ) I've ever handled. Triple Hens Teeth award?  :)

Talking about hen's teeth.  :)   Basically didn't have pigeons 1968 to 2001. When I was planning to start up, I noticed a lot of changes, one of which was fewER National results into 'extreme' west side of the country, Ayrshire. There was a name in Renfrewshire, and another I think, somewhere in Hotrod's area, Albert Oribine, his clearance sale was in early 2000's. I only knew of him through my cousin's friend, who had swopped birds with him, including a cock which had won Sartilly twice for Oribine. Only National winner (double national winner  :) ) I've ever handled. Triple Hens Teeth award?  :)

sorry mate albert never won a national  or any where near it , it was 2 first feds the bird won i know he was my club mate cracking doo man though and his two brothers  the late billy and joe who comes in on a saturday to me to see the birds home as he doesn,t keep them any more what pigeon was it that you handled ? By the way joe had said to me a couple of times why,s that pied hen not away ,i,d just wink and say patience joe the time is coming soon.

matt white of Paisely won the gold cup at rennes and is dad also won it

dkj i was asked if i was first to win in port glasgow and through this way meens port glasgow , oh before i forget a  guy from gourock won it 1912 or something ,matt whites bird was in 1980 i think his fathers was in  40,s or 50,s maybe wrong

thats rite lesly davidson won it ive raced into greenock which is 4/5 mile further down trust me its the pits of the earth to fly into thats what makes stewarts 2 birds so special dont forget the nat winner was not his only fantistic result he had 1 the year  before

thats rite lesly davidson won it ive raced into greenock which is 4/5 mile further down trust me its the pits of the earth to fly into thats what makes stewarts 2 birds so special dont forget the nat winner was not his only fantistic result he had 1 the year  before

no i dont think so frank it was captain leslie ,not leslie davidson

roland i,d rather feed tic beens than MAPLE pea,s any day

Well the basic difference is slight really as to a lot.

Tic Bean           Maple

Protein 22 . 5     25 . 4

Carbs 59 .1        53 .3

Water 14           14 . 3

Fibre 5 .4           7 .1

Fat 0 .9              1. 5

So yes  more carbs and protein I guess. Have just added Tic Beans to my birds feed yesterday. Yes a lot being thrown about lol.

no i dont think so frank it was captain leslie ,not leslie davidson

bang on hotrod,captain leslie of gourock won nantes snfc 1932 with "le ander" and came very close a year or two later with "the pug"from the same racepoint,leslie davidson was also a top fancier over 500mls winning with the west coast combine,snfc and also recorded a bird in the sixties from i think san sebastian over 1000mls. :)

pair up 1st week march. rear a round of ybs. give channel birds 110 mls. 150ml 220ml miss a week then 280 ml 3 wks before main race for cocks 10 days on eggs.   hens last  race 4 wks before main race  so u can have  small y/b on basketing. feeding versele laga for me.  breeding mix. then up 2 250 ml a w/h mix after 250 ml high protein mix. but i dont think it matters as long as it good quality food. training 2 short tosses before racing then dont train again till june then train every day 1 hour fly. dont treat for anything at anytime

Guest Gareth Rankin
im pretty sure he never won a national alec in fact im positive he didn,t top man though  no doubt

First Nantes SNFC winner

Capt. D Leslie of Gourock won the first race in 1932 with a velocity of 924 from a distance of 620 miles. He came close to pulling off the double when he won 2nd open SNFC Nantes in 1936 with ‘Le Ander’.

[face=Arial][face=Courier]Above taken from Joe Murphy article which was about the history of the great club.[/face][/face]

Cheers

Gareth