What do you think?

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

nobodies taking the p*ss out of us next year,were going in a northroad club and can get 500miles out of thurso,and if we are allowed a water race,lerwick,and looking on the bright side,massivly cheaper than being ripped of southroad!

but what bout the quality of racing north road,losses are much higher,your whole old bird team can be whiped out in one season.

we had the same idea in the eighties many feds in the west mids and staffs area turned north but the losses were bad,and there isn't many north road clubs left.

dont get me wrong im in favour of cheaper racing and the guarante of distance racing next year

i think things will be back to normal after the winter. if the french wont have us then i'm sure the belgians will and that would certainly give me some distance!

With respect: its not the French or Belgians that we need to convince, its not them but our own authority DEFRA thats stopping us going ANYWHERE outside the UK.

And your assertion that things will be back to normal after the winter COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG.

could,nt agree more bruno

its defra we have to convince and not sure we will be too successful with them if this years owt to go by they tend to err on the side of caution. Scaremongering by the popular press dont help either with most non fanciers convinced we will cause an epidemic that will wipe em out...... collect

Don't agree that north road racing is any harder than south. We used to race north road with the West of England NR Combine going back to the 1950's and we had some super racing even though we had to fly between 60 and 20 miles further than most of the other fliers. Returns were much better both as regards numbers lost and the consistency with which they came. It could have been because we were able to train on a line and the birds were able to fly a straighter route whereas on the south we are too close to the coast for that and can only really train east or west. Unfortunately with all the big races from the south most people have been more or less forced to desert the north road for the chance of some glory. However this season we have had a few North Road training races for YBs on Sunday mornings with Dorchester and Weymouth/Portland fanciers taking part and they have been excellent. We were quite happy to fly north with the CSCFC and BBC earlier in the year when racing from abroad was banned and if racing is only from the north next season I reckon quite a few down here would be quite happy.  

Until someone starts collecting and reporting statistical data regarding race returns, and factoring in prevailing weather conditions, we will never even begin to fully understand how south or north road racing compare. Like David we raced North, West, and South this year and we lost pigeons from all directions in equal measure!! I think southern fanciers need to be contemplating North Road racing if they want to guarantee themselves 450-700 mile racing next year because if the '400-mile' rule is applied again then pigeons capable of long-distance racing will again be deprived the opportunity of showing their true worth.

i think we missed a great opportunity with defra this season the powers that be should have invited defra to national marking stations to see how professional pigeon orginasations are , again invite them to see liberations , and the birds returning to fanciers lofts, they should have been educated to the whole picture of pigeon racing. i fear weve missed the boat , as i asume next season will have the same restictions, the rpra must start now educating defra for next season

SO WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY DRIES THAT THE RPRA DIDN,T DO AS MUCH AS THEY COULD OF TO CONVINCE DEFRA TO LET US RACE FROM ABROAD.PERSONALLY I DONT THINK IT WOULD OF MADE A SCRAP OF DIFFERANCE THEY MADE THEIR DECISION AND WE HAVE TO STICK BY IT AND I THINK IT WILL BE  THE SAME FOR A FEW YEARS TO COME.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

do you not think north road racing is bsically down to a change in current feeding systems??

Never raced it myself, but would love the challenge..

Dont forget we have all grown accustomed to the majority of tail winds, you only have to look at most clubs, soon as you get a good hard north wind DIFFERENT RESULT, with most times different winners??

Just my thoughts...........

there must be more land marks when flying home from the north. flying across the sea must be difficult nothing in front of you expect sea to come across the sea your bird has done well, to win the race most be a bonus and before somebody starts im not saying any road is easier than the other.

I THINK THIS WOULD JUST ADD TO THE PROBLEM WE ALRAEDY HAVE REGARDING CLASHING, SCOTTISH CONTROLLERS WOULD HAVE A JOB FINDING OUT WHERE ALL THE NORTH ROAD BIRDS ARE AND WHEN GETTING LIBERATED ETC, I PERSONALLY THINK IT WOULD BE BAD FOR ALL BOTH ENGLISH AND SCOTTISH, AND MORE SO WITH YOUNG BIRDS, JUST THINK ABOUT THE NUMBER OF BIRDS FLYING FROM NORTH TO SOUTH AND OTHERS FLYING SOUTH TO NORTH,