Garlic... opinions..??

Guest JonesyBhoy

Guest JonesyBhoy

Ive never really used garlic so dont know too much about it..

I was reading a few of the other threads.. and quite a number of fanciers say that if you boil the garlic it loses its nutritional value..

I rememeber tho when i was very young reading 'Novices Social Circle' by Steve Spinks in the BHW.. and he said that he would boil up garlic and give it to the doos as a wormer, as it would coat the pigeons insides preventing the worms from being able to cling on to the interior walls..

Whats everyones thoughts on this..??

You don't boil it, put it in a bottle and boil the water let it go off boil and then add the water then put in drinker and top up, some just put garlic cloves in the drinker and leave them in just changing every so often.

Paul

personally would rather use the natural stuff i would imagine but no proof to hand that some of the helpful properties are removed though the process of turning it into powder

beat me to it ;) , i doubt much of the alycin if any would survive after been boiled or been processed by drying and grounding into a powder  ;)

My original point was tho.. if bolied would it act as a wormer..?? Or not.. and have lost any additional nutrional value as it had been boiled..??

i doubt it would act as a wormer as surely most wormers would contain it ;) , and  processing does destroy its valuable nutrients :)

My original point was tho.. if bolied would it act as a wormer..?? Or not.. and have lost any additional nutrional value as it had been boiled..??

Two points. (1) think medicinal rather than nutritional  :) cooked garlic is added to food to flavour it; raw garlic  is used as a medicinal herb. From memory, the World Health Organisation confirmed that it is effective in humans against ascarids - round worms;

(2) A garlic bulb contains 'nothing' until it is 'attacked'. It then undergoes chemical changes which form illicin, the main antimicrobial defence. Illicin is very volatile, and almost immediately starts to break down into other sub-components (chemicals). Without illicin, you have nothing. Heating, far less boiling destroys illicin. Heat it and you end up with nothing useful, except for adding to the cooking pot that is  :)

Guest Hjaltland
You don't boil it, put it in a bottle and boil the water let it go off boil and then add the water then put in drinker and top up, some just put garlic cloves in the drinker and leave them in just changing every so often                                                               Paul

What is the point of boiling the water in the first place?